back to article Microsoft now licensing Windows by the user, across multiple devices

Microsoft has changed the way it licences Windows so that it is now possible to buy licences on a per-user basis. Explained here, the main effect of the new policy is that a single licence can now apply to different devices. As Microsoft explains, this new arrangement means it's now possible for employees of organisations …

1. Fuzz

does this fix anything?

At first glance this doesn't appear to solve the problem. You still can't buy a perpetual license for windows for use on VDI. This is a new per user software assurance i.e. subscription license or a new per user VDA i.e. subscription license.

What we need is a perpetual per user license, i.e. I buy 300 Windows licenses for my 300 staff and they can use any copy of windows, that version or below, on any device (VDI, tablet, desktop) for ever.

1. Lee D Silver badge

Re: does this fix anything?

And that's exactly what Microsoft doesn't want.

If you have to pay by year, they guarantee their finances for decades to come.

If you can not bother to go to Windows 8 and not pay them any extra, then you won't.

2. thondwe

I think perhaps it does fix something - licence Windows per user and this gets rid of the problem we have of VDI being tied to a device - we don't want to licence students for each of their devices to access a VDI solution.

Having said that, it's unclear whether this is concurrent users or named users - the former would be equivalent to RDS (terminal services) licencing and would be the ideal for any VDI solution. Bet it's going to be the later and then we'd need to licence 15000 students to be able to access 1 of 200 VDI sessions!

BUT what's this diagonal screen size thing? A Tablet whatever the size of screen is either going to with Windows installed or it's not (and probably licenced) - can't see MS providing a free install to enable Windows on a Nexus or iPad???????

Licencing departments come up with the most stupid convoluted unnecessary restrictions. What's wrong with one Windows licence per system (physical or virtual) running Windows???????

1. Michael Heydon

>concurrent users or named users - the former would be equivalent to RDS (terminal services) licencing

Pretty sure that's not correct, RDS CALs are for a named user.

>BUT what's this diagonal screen size thing? A Tablet whatever the size of screen is either going to with Windows installed or it's not (and probably licenced)

It's Windows Enterprise, it's pretty much only available as an upgrade. They are assuming that under 10" screen either already comes with Windows installed or if not, it isn't worth worrying about. Over 10" and you are getting into something that might reasonably replace a desktop and may not have come with Windows pre-loaded, they want to pay for an eligible license to upgrade to Enterprise.

2. P. Lee

>What's wrong with one Windows licence per system (physical or virtual) running Windows???????

Someone would find a way to fire up multiple desktops or have multiple users log in to the same server under the same username.

Per User across the enterprise is the only sensible way to prevent Windows RT-Full fat Windows/weak CPU/Strong CPU licensing problems. My guess is that Enterprise licensing costs just went up but end users will still license per device.

What's this, "if you're away from the office" rubbish? How is that going to be clear or policed? If round-trip times are too low will it simulate a high-latency link response time?

3. Roo
        Windows

"Licencing departments come up with the most stupid convoluted unnecessary restrictions. What's wrong with one Windows licence per system (physical or virtual) running Windows???????"

That's easy to answer: a simple one license per box doesn't extract as much money from the customers.

If a simple cost-effective licensing regime is a necessity you need to migrate away from Windows, it will never be in Microsoft's interest to make it cheap & easy for a faithful^Wlocked-in customer. :)

3. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

@Fuzz It's a half-assed fix. VDI licensing has been my number one issue with Microsoft for 6 years. I will examine this in great detail and put together an article. It's not what we wanted or needed. But it's a lot better than what we had.

Microsoft have, however, acknowledged that there is a problem. That's flabbergasting. They had fought tooth and nail against admitting there was an issue here since Vista came out.

...could we finally be making a dent?

1. Roo
        Devil

"Microsoft have, however, acknowledged that there is a problem. That's flabbergasting. They had fought tooth and nail against admitting there was an issue here since Vista came out.

...could we finally be making a dent?"

At last ! We have discovered a link between roasting shills & change for the better ! We should roast shills more often and more thoroughly for better results, roast on folks... :)

2. Khaptain Silver badge

Unfuzzy feeling

I can only presume that this will absolutely force the user use to have a "MS Live account", which then gives MS the power to terminate that users access at their leisure.. It also give MS the key to everything that you do, create, recieve via that account....

This give a very unfuzzy feeling.

[I do not know if "unfuzzy" is a word but it sounds correct to me for the context]

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Unfuzzy feeling

Unfuzzy - I think you mean shaven.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Unfuzzy - I think you mean shaven."

Spikey? Rough?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"I can only presume that this will absolutely force the user use to have a "MS Live account""

Nope - that's not even a requirement for Microsoft's online enterprise services - you can have single sign-on and use a corporate ID.

3. JDX Gold badge

Buy for existing systems?

Is this likely to mean I can buy a license for PCs I've already got, so I can clone my W7 system onto a second PC?

4. jake Silver badge

Seems to me that ...

... *nix has been doing this (and more!) for ~30 years.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Seems to me that ...

"... *nix has been doing this (and more!) for ~30 years."

Providing bastard hard to work with licensing models you mean? Yes, true. Sun / Oracle, HP and IBM all spring to mind...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Could this be a first?

I mean, first time in history that a software vendor makes licensing changes that result in less revenue? I doubt it. In the world of physical things, prices get lower to make it up on increased volume. The software world is different. This only makes sense if they want to prevent some other competitor to gain market share (look at "the 10.1 inches or less" clue)

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Re: Could this be a first?

The 10.1 limit is a silly thing.

does this limit mean that if I (somehow) connect up a 27in display(for example) to the device that windows would suddenly become unlicensed and refuse to do anthing until MS got paid for another new license?

Trust good old MS to make a mountain out of a molehill.

1. Dan 37

Re: Could this be a first?

If your tablet's screen is smaller than 10.1, I'd imagine it continues to be smaller than 10.1 regardless of any external device you may connect it to.

6. Bladeforce

It's 2014..

..buying an Operating System? How sweet and so very 1990's

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It's 2014..

You didn't buy* Operating Systems in the '90s either. It has always been licencing.

* Not unless you were someone like Bill Gates. Even then it was a bit of a one-off.

2. Teiwaz

Recently bought a Compulabs Fit-PC. Nice to be given the option to either buy an OS to be installed on it or not (Not, they were only offering MS 7,8 or Mint Linux).

Haven't seen that option since 1991 when I had the option to buy MS-DOS or DR-DOS with a 486.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You are still not buying the operating system. You are either paying for its installation or for a licence to use it. You do not own the copy of the OS as you might own a DVD copy of a film.

(Although I agree that it is noce to be offered a choice...)

7. Timpatco

Still showing their greed and "we once were kings" feet of clay.

Big hint you do NOT have the hearts and minds of a growing market share anymore.. And as long as you treat the customer like YOUR software serfs you will continue to slide towards oblivion

big tip it is customers you want, NOT devices so have just one price platform irrespective of what the client is using it on without any SmartArse restrictions like "screen size under.nxn" - or continue with proving your dinosaur status...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

it is customers you want

but but but... wait, if we allow a customer to use different copies of Windows from different devices all with the same license, think of all the different opportunities for additional revenue we can't afford to miss!!!!

(voice from MS licensing department)

The final outcome of all this: in the future Windows machines will have a built in credit card reader (or coin slot) You'll swipe your card or insert a few coins and will get x hours of Windows. All your data will be stored in the MS cloud so if you want to access it you'll have to pay MS for the privilege.

1. fung0

Re: it is customers you want

All your data will be stored in the MS cloud so if you want to access it you'll have to pay MS for the privilege.

Adobe already does this with Creative Cloud. You can store your files locally, but you have no way of opening your own Illustrator or InDesign files if your subscription lapses. Amazing how many users are signing on for this voluntary extortion scheme.

I'm sure marketing geniuses in Redmond are watching closely, and salivating.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

All of your hardware Belongs to US....

when they sort out the Software as a service they will have it cracked. and will get back on more devices if only by being a second tier on the installed OS.

Im my household there are a number of devices 4 x windows 7, two x android, one x IOS 7, and one x OSX 10.6.

with VDI licensing and per user we will be able to have VDI accounts with a supplier (may be even Microsoft themselves) we will be able to access our sessions from any of the devices and hopefully upgrade and down grade the ram, storage and software as needed (for a fee of course). and all this as potential as an end user,

(Microsoft Home server, with centralised MS software library, for VDIs, Media Centre server, Network storage, and Home Automation ;-) just a suggestion but as its NON cloud it wont happen........)

The more people using Microsoft software even if run on top of another OS the more sales. at the moment an IOS, Android or other non MS device is a lost sale, with this there is potential of keeping those users as Microsoft user and keeping some market share and relevance in "This post PC world".

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like