back to article Nokia: Buh-bye Lumia and cash-sucking handset pals... let's make some money!

Nokia has raised its long-term profitability target and expects its new business of concentrating strictly on the telecoms equipment game to grow next year. The Finnish firm, which has focused on making telco gear and its intellectual property portfolio since ditching its handset unit earlier this year, said that strong demand …

1. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

Patents

I really like(d) Nokia as a company in their pre-MS days, and I really hope that they manage to make something really good out of what remains. The bit about them using their patent portfolio troubles me a bit though - I hope they aren;t going to make a business line out of patent trolling. The world has enough of that already.

1. Gordon 10

Re: Patents

AFAIK most of Nokia's patents are for "real" innovative things. Not button clicks.

2. SW10
    Go

No fear Nokia

You've got to hand it to a company that happily adjusts its strategy from wood-pulp to rubber boots to cables to telecoms to networking.

So many other corporates are too afraid of reality - or can't even see that, for example, digital cameras will kill off their selling-chemicals-to-make-pictures business (Kodak, that's you) or that online news sites will kill off the distributing-and-selling-paper-with-advertisements-in business.

To say nothing of "we accept we've been pushed to the margins by [our own idiocy] [cheaper/faster/better competitors] "

1. Waspy

Re: No fear Nokia

Humility, honesty and pragmatism...sounds very Finnish doesn't it?

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Daniel B.
    Boffin

Nice

I would've preferred them still being in the smartphone (and dumbphone) business, but the writing was in the wall for that as soon as Elop got on board and fired the "burning platforms" memo. I'm actually glad that Nokia itself not only survived but managed to offload the MS-infested part of the business on to MS itself, and include the CEO that sank that ship along with it!

1. PeterM42

Re: Nice

Well said Daniel B - Windows 8 phones + tie-in to Blundersoft was always a receipe for disaster. Ever since Bill gave over the reins, Blundersoft have gone seriously downhill. Thank goodness, they only dragged Nokia so far with them. Maybe in a year or 2 Nokia might start making decent phones again?

1. Eguro

Once whatever non-compete clause was in the deal with MS wears off, I'd look to Nokia re-entering the game. I'm hopeful as ever of a Jolla purchase :)

2. Tom Samplonius

"...writing was in the wall for that as soon as Elop got on board and fired the "burning platforms" memo..."

The damage was done long before that. Nokia R&D was dreadfully inefficient. And they totally missed the smartphone revolution. But so did all of the old handset vendors. The CEO before Elop is the one responsbile. Because when Elop sent the "burning platforms" memo, the platforms really were burning.

It is amazing how the pattern described in the "Innovators Dilemma" repeats over and over again, and people are still blaming the wrong guy at the wrong time.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like