back to article Judge OKs $450m deal to end ebook price-hike row. But Apple just won't let it die

A Manhattan judge has finally approved Apple's settlement in its long-running ebook price-fixing lawsuit: $400m will go to readers who paid over the odds, and $50m will go to the lawyers suing the iTunes Giant. The out-of-court deal was drawn up in June and was granted preliminary approval by District Court Judge Denise Cote …

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"It's not all smooth sailing to payday, however. Apple is still appealing the case and could reverse earlier rulings if its appeal comes through. That's unlikely, court watchers feel, but nothing is impossible in the wacky world of the American legal system."

Is the implication of the above that Apple may not actually pay out if they win their appeal against earlier rulings?

That would be a bit odd since by its very nature, an out-of-court settlement is effectively an agreement to make an ex gratia or "good will" payment to aggrieved partys without admitting to any guilt or wrongdoing. Since they don't admit to any wrongdoing, then the outcome of appeals relating to earlier cases ought to have no bearing on this settlement.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Poor lawyers

Only making a paltry 12.5%! I ask you, how will they feed their families on such a pittance?

3. FormerKowloonTonger
    Holmes

Please explain this curious statement:

".... but nothing is impossible in the wacky world of the American legal system."

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Read the RamBus saga

No explanation necessary....

4. Velv
    Boffin

Maybe I've missed something. If the "deal" was drawn up, how can either side appeal against the deal?

The whole point of agreeing a deal is so that you don't go through the court process. I can only see a case for a legal challenge if one side was duped into an unfair deal, something I find it hard to believe would happen to Apples lawyers.

5. Grease Monkey Silver badge

If they've already settled out of court then the ink is dry on that contract and as such they should have to pay. However the US legal system is such that crooks can legally buy their way out of criminal charges by paying off victims, so nothing would surprise me about that system.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like