back to article Oh SNAP, Microsoft! Asigra steals a march with Office 365 cloudy backup

Enterprise backup firm Asigra has added Office 365 support to its Cloud Backup product. This is a cloud-to-cloud service sending backup data to authorised cloud service providers or to the customer's private cloud. IT admins choose the frequency and granularity of the backups and recovery is said to be both fast and simple, …

1. Robert E A Harvey

umm.

Cloud to cloud backup.

OK.

Tell me again why the cloud is better than local storage?

1. Sir Awesome

Re: umm.

Diverse acess is a big one, especially for those that can't afford to pour cash into local servers. That's pretty much the biggest benefit in any cloud solution.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"others will be thankful Microsoft doesn't regard cloud-to-cloud app data backup as a core focus"

Doesn't regard it as a core focus so far. The list of MS 'partner' companies fooled by this kind of tactic - MS let some small fry establish the market, and then MS eliminate them - goes back at least as far as DoubleSpace/DriveSpace.

3. Tim 11

one simple rule...

Never put anything in office 365 that you can't afford to lose.

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: one simple rule...

You're the kind of person who a few decades ago would've said "the only safe copy is a paper copy".

1. Captain DaFt

Re: one simple rule...

"the only safe copy is a paper copy"

You mock it, but Sony Media'd be SOL right now without paper, wouldn't they? (Or have they got the system back up yet? Press has been quiet on that.)

And I seem to recall Russian spooks have turned back to paper for security.

Face it, online, or 'The cloud' as they call it these days for fiscal gain, is Murphy's natural habitat.

4. admiraljkb

Interestingly...

o365 isn't actually cloud in the conventional sense of a flexible cloud app. Its a relatively standard hosted email solution tied to specific DataCenters (that from experience with o365 - can and do go down and don't get spun up automagically at another DataCenter). That was something the Microsoft Azure reps were quick to clarify that in a meeting to my then VP as he spouted something about having "email in the cloud".

Backing it up like this actually does have some appeal to me, in that properly done, it could ease a o365 to on premise migration, or maybe migration to other provider.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

hmm

We recently looked at Asigra and the 365 agent was a bit rubbish, you had to put in the actual usernames and passwords for users who you wanted to backup as there isn't an global administrator type account to access your users o365 data.

1. Peter Groucutt

Re: hmm

I have to disagree with your comments about Asigra. As an Asigra partner I can assure you that you do NOT have to type in the username and password for each user you want to back up. All you have to do is to create an admin user which then is assigned to specific roles within the Office365 domain. You can use the admin user credentials to create a single ‘Backup Set” which has access to all other users within the given domain. Let me know if you want to see a demo of how to set up an admin account or if you want to connect to discuss further.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like