back to article EU VAT law could kill thousands of online businesses

New EU tax rules that come into force on 1 January could kill thousands of mini and micro online businesses. The new VAT rules have been on the cards for six years and are ostensibly aimed at preventing big companies (yes, we mean you, Amazon, Apple and Starbucks) from claiming that all their European profit is made in …

Page:

1. ratfox

…from claiming that all their European profit is made in Luxembourg…

Nitpick: this change is not at all about profits, which are still going to happen in Luxembourg. It's just that now the country of the customer will get VAT.

That said, I suspect the new rules will simply not be enforced for small businesses for a while. It seems impossible they will be ready any time soon.

1. BristolBachelor Gold badge

Maybe, but since Amazon is a seller of physical goods, ordered thrpugh electronic means, it would appear to be exempt, no?

1. breakfast Silver badge
        Holmes

Re: Amazon is a seller of physical goods...

You are of course correct, but if Amazon were ever to start selling anything electronic, such as ebooks or music downloads, this law would probably catch them out.

1. theoutrider

As I understand the plan is already in place to expand the new rules to all goods and services sold online - digital or physical, bespoke or prepared - as soon as 2016.

Basically, if you run a business that sells anything over the internet, this is going to affect you. If you're selling direct, it'll all but force you to do your business through a corporate platform that will handle VAT instead, and if you're already using those it'll make your income less predictable as the VAT share of the sale price will suddenly vary depending on where the sales come from. Not to mention that many of the big platforms (Etsy, Steam and Bandcamp spring to mind) haven't commented on whether they will handle this for sellers, and some have already said they won't (iBooks).

This is going to bite small bands selling mp3s, comic artists selling ebooks and those kinds of people *big* time. Freelancers and independent artists don't usually have trade orgs or any other kind of organised representation, so "missing" them in these considerations and the discussions HMRC say they've been having with SMEs is an easy oversight, but the impact on them is huge.

Basically, a business that doesn't make enough to afford an accountant and sacrificing margin to third-party sales platforms to do the work for them is going to be all but shut out entirely from the digital single market that Andrus Ansip praised so highly in his blog post. Good work all round.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Freelancers and independent artists don't usually have trade orgs"

Maybe not independent artists but for freelancers there's the PCG. Being retired I'm no longer a member but I wonder what their take is on this.

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Holmes

VAT in Luxembourg generally is 15% (which is considered "unfair" by neighbors who can barely squeak by ripping off 20% of any transaction from the jobless hoi polloi), and will be upped to 17% in January (because the governement wants to keep the overpaid civil servant cancer happy more than it wants to reduce unemployment), so I don't see why VAT is a particular factor for Luxembourg.

1. Dave Bell

What is being missed is that Luxembourg set a very low, but non-zero, rate for VAT on ebooks. A lot of EU countries have lower rates for such products, but Amazon is paying a rate of 3%, the lowest in the EU, and I don't recall them ever telling me what the rate is, they just tell us VAT is charged, which is one of those legally murky areas. Italy, next year, reduces their e-book rate from 22% to 2%, and we have always had a 0% rate on physical books in the UK.

It looks as though some guy called Juncker was involved in setting the rates in Luxembourg.

One of the awkward points is that two pieces of data confirming customer location need to be recorded. For physical goods, which have always been under some form of customer-location rule, there's both the record of payment and the address for physical delivery. But what's the equivalent for digital goods?

The more I hear about this (and I used to do VAT paperwork for a small business), the less competent HMRC and the government look in negotiating with the rest of the EU and explaining the changes. Surely six years is enough time for them to have done something?

3. big_D Silver badge

It is currently a pain, when we buy over Amazon at work. There are many UK vendors in the Amazon store (Germany) and there is no VAT excemption here, so every purchase needs a valid VAT number... Which means many purchases get sent back or we spend ages going back and forth trying to get a valid VAT number.

The upshot is that we tend to avoid any reseller that doesn't have a valid DE VAT number in their company details section. It might be more hassle in the short term, but it could open up more sales in the long term for companies in the UK that don't have a UK VAT number, if they have to ensure that they have a local number in the countries they sell in.

I had forgotten that Amazon also sell digitally. It was easy to forget; the .co.uk and

.com Amazons refuse to sell these to me in Spain. Meanwhile the .es Amazon just refuses to sell them.

Also reading the comment from big_D - here in Spain you have to be registered for VAT from 0€ upwards (oh to have an exception for small players like the UK!). This has the side effect that all payments that go through the books must match with a corresponding invoice with Spanish or European VAT number. In addition, if VAT is charged by a European overseas seller (which it shouldn't be under inter-community trading rules), we have no way of claiming it back. We have found a lot of VAT registered companies who refuse to do VAT free sales. In this regard, Amazon actually do everything properly.

4. semantha780

Amazon Seller Account

How can I handle Amazon seller account as a newbie?

1. emmawaston79

Re: Amazon Seller Account

There are two kinds of seller profiles you can make on Amazon: one for an individual and one for a business. Each one costs a different amount and has a different set of benefits. For example, if you expect to sell less than 40 items each month, the individual plan is the best choice because there is no monthly subscription fee. On the other hand, Amazon charges private sellers 99 cents for each item they sell.

If you think you'll sell more than 40 items every month, you might want to switch to a professional plan. Amazon no longer charges sellers 99 cents per item, but instead a flat fee of $39.99 per month. If you are a professional seller, you only have to pay shipping costs for media. You can also wrap all of your products as gifts. In the same way, there is a lot about Amazon Account Management that you need to know. Even though you are just starting out, you still need to know how your Amazon account works.

2. DavCrav

This is entirely reasonable. VAT is a tax on consumption, paid for by the consumer. Of course it should depend on where the consumer lives, not on where the business is based. The upshot is, of course, that if you want to be a "small business" that is also multinational, you cannot pretend that different countries don't have different laws.

Most people, on here as well as elsewhere, seem to think of the Internet, and all who sail in her, as being a separate entity, not subject to the laws of anywhere. But if I buy a printer from a company in France, whether I do it by phone or online is irrelevant. If I phoned them up I would be paying UK VAT, and why should online be any different?

Here's another way to think about it: when is the contract formed on a sale of a loaf of bread in Tesco? Not when I take it off the shelf: that's an invitation to treat. Not when it's rang up on the checkout: that's confirmation of the invitation. Not when the money is given over: that's an offer. The contract is formed when the goods are given to me, the acceptance of the offer.

This is important in the recent Amazon 1p case: the contract of sale is not formed until the customer has paid, AND the goods have been delivered to the customer. If the delivery driver gets a call at the end of your road to cancel the delivery, the contract has not been formed. Since VAT is applicable at the formation of contract, it is where the consumer has their goods delivered to that is the location for VAT. Amazon has been essentially committing fraud, and the rules have only been "changed" to clarify that Amazon (and others) are wrong.

All of this applies to digital delivery as well: the contract is only formed once the good has been downloaded onto the user's machine, and so VAT should be payable in the customer's location.

Edit: to clarify what others above have mentioned, Amazon will pay UK VAT on any deliveries to the UK, regardless of where they are from. See:

http://europa.eu/youreurope/business/vat-customs/cross-border/index_en.htm

1. &rew

Thought provoking

DavCrav,

As a simple Engineer, all this law stuff is news to me, and very interesting! I had not thought of the exchange of goods and services in such detail. Could you point me in the direction of a source for this material, or is the above a distillation of many? I am suddenly curious about the details...

It has given me a greater appreciation of delivery notes, and possible queries about having parcels left with a neighbour, or a supposedly 'safe location'. Are the seller's part of the contract completed at that point? The more I ponder, the more questions I have.

2. Tom Wood

No, the contract for an online order is normally formed when the goods are dispatched, not when they are delivered.

From Amazon's terms of sale (which I'm sure you read if you've ever shopped with them, right?):

Your order is an offer to Amazon to buy the product(s) in your order. When you place an order to purchase a product from Amazon, we will send you an e-mail confirming receipt of your order and containing the details of your order (the "Order Confirmation E-mail"). The Order Confirmation E-mail is acknowledgement that we have received your order, and does not confirm acceptance of your offer to buy the product(s) ordered. We only accept your offer, and conclude the contract of sale for a product ordered by you, when we dispatch the product to you and send e-mail confirmation to you that we've dispatched the product to you (the "Dispatch Confirmation E-mail").

1. The Mole

Agreed, what the original poster was forgetting is that delivery is part of the service you are buying (it may be 'free' but it is still part of the contract you have formed with them. So by shipping it they have accepted the delivery part of the contract and thereby the whole of it.

Of course they could still call the delivery driver and get him to return and just breach the contract - if they refund you the money you're generally going to struggle to get anything else out of them beyond 'good will' gestures for their breach of it.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Contract v Statute

It doesn't matter what Amazon (or any other company) puts in their terms of sale -

Law trumps contract every time,

Without exception.

It does mean you will probably have to resort to the courts if you have a valid complaint, but that's what they're for!

It also raises the possibility that if Amazon (or other company) have been deemed to have breached the specific clause relating to formation of contract, then the entire contract has been breached. Although that one's not a given, you'd have to argue about it.

3. Ben Tasker

Whilst I agree with you in principle, its currently unworkable for a number of smaller businesses.

I'm ceasing sale of digital downloads, not because it's impossible for me to comply (it isn't), but because it's simply not cost effective to comply. The time spent reconfiguring the shop to know, and apply, VAT for 28 different states is time that'd need to be taken from much more profitable work.

Similarly, the ongoing cost of completing yet another return again is the same - my schedule is rammed full, so its a case of spending time doing a return instead of charging an hourly rate.

Realistically, it's a tiny drop in the ocean, but the UK govt will now be getting less tax out of me as a result (the VAT may not have been payable, but the income tax was) and the other member states still get no more out of me.

Is me stopping digital downloads going to hit our GDP? Hell no, but it's not quite as black and white as you seem to think - there's a cost to compliance, and those who don't shut up shop will be passing it on to us as consumers.

Personally, though, I suspect the complaints from businesses will lead to the EU evaluating and deciding the best way to 'fix' the issue is harmonisation of VAT rates.

1. Tom 13

Re: ...VAT for 28 different states...

And yet whenever I've posted the reasons for the internet sales tax exemption (figure 28 different rates * 50 states) in the US, I've been assured that if ONLY we STUPID 'Merkins would adopt the simple VAT tax, the whole problem would go away.

I'd say I feel your pain, but not only would that be Clintonian, it also wouldn't be true since I'm not an online retailer. So I'll just claim I fear for your pain, and do have some sympathy for the problem.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: ...VAT for 28 different states... @Tom 13

Well VAT was relatively simple until this change...

There is a good introductory article from a US perspective on the change here: http://www.happybootstrapper.com/2014/im-us-whatll-happen-just-ignore-eu-vat-changes/

But for the full mind numbing impact, do look at the "full listing of VAT rates in different EU countries"...

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

This is entirely UNreasonable

My wife sells knitting patterns on line. Global Turnover less than £2000.

To comply she will have to:

Register for VAT & MOSS. Keep full records[1] and pay VAT through MOSS.

We checked all the sales in November and she had made one sale to Ireland and one to Germany, all the rest were within the UK or outside EU.

So she would have to pay approx. 93p to Ireland and 80p to Germany.

[1]The other problem is they insist on two non contradictory pieces of evidence to confirm where the buyer is. e.g. postal address, email address and ip address. But as she sells through places like Etsy.com and is paid by the customer using paypal she doesn't have the IP address. The email address can be a .com .net. org and the PayPal payment often says 'We have no postal address on record".

Any ideas how she can comply with the law without having to set up her own website?

There is an intra EU threashold for VAT registration of 35,000 euros. Why they didn't incorporate Digital downloads into I do not know.

Also of the estimated 240,000 UK businesses affected 99% of them knew nothing about this until about 4 weeks ago.

p.s. The guidelines are also wrong: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/revenue-and-customs-brief-46-2014-vat-rule-change-and-the-vat-mini-one-stop-shop-additional-guidance/revenue-and-customs-brief-46-2014-vat-rule-change-and-the-vat-mini-one-stop-shop-additional-guidance

They say "you will need to register as a data controller with the Information Commissioner’s Office" which unlikely to be true.

1. Ben Tasker

Re: This is entirely UNreasonable

Yup, though HMRC claim to have been telling people, the first I heard of it was a story on El Reg about the VAT MOSS site being criticised by GDS

The VAT payment system doesn't contain so much as a 'by the way'

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I would advise to ignore completely the new rules. Realistically, nobody cares about such a business.

Isn't there some kind of minimum total turnover for this law? If not, it should be introduced.

1. Ben Tasker

HMRC did apparently push for a low earnings threshold, given we have one for usual VAT. Apparently, though, most EU countries don't have a threshold so there wasn't much appetite for it. The one-stop-shop is the solution that was used to make it easier.

It's easy to say ignore the rules, right up until you find you're unlucky enough to be being made an example of.

I could quite easily not declare some of my income, but whilst the probability of getting caught is low, the risk far outweighs the benefits. It also only takes upsetting one vindictive person for it to all start unravelling - ignoring the new rules is a foolhardy thing to do....

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Isn't there some kind of minimum total turnover for this law? If not, it should be introduced."

There is, that's the point. It's higher in the UK than it is in much of the EU (or, as in some cases, no threshold at all)

In the interest of EU harmonisation, the VAT registration threshold should be equalised. Based on past examples, that would mean all of the EU members raising their threshold to the that of the member with the highest threshold but since this affects individual countrys tax income, we know that won't happen.

As an example, when copyright terms were harmonised, items out of copyright before the change were suddenly back in copyright because we all had to increase our copyright period to 60 years to match Germany rather than Germany dropping to 50 years like the UK (or lower as it was in some other EU countries). EU "harmonisation" almost always means whatever is best for tax and/or business and worst for the consumer.

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"I would advise to ignore completely the new rules. Realistically, nobody cares about such a business."

Cool - I'll tell the auditors that an anonymous advisor on a comments section of a tech site advised me as such. That'll cover me.

4. PassiveSmoking

In principle I agree.

In practice, tax men can be anal and merciless. It might not be in your best interest to ignore it.

3. Stuart 22

"So she would have to pay approx. 93p to Ireland and 80p to Germany"

I have been registered for VAT for twenty years. It really is the easiest system to use and has the benefit of making sure I have my accounts in order every quarter which causes a lot less distress at year end. If only every other gov.uk system was so easily accessible and useful. I am assuming the change makes it fair in that those who did not pay currently vat don't get an unjustifiable advantage when selling to non-vat registered entities (aka real people).

But for a couple of quid why not make your business UK only?

I noticed the effects yesterday when my GoDaddy reseller account (US/Luxembourg) had to be renewed. 20% vat was added automatically. Of course, as a vat registered entity I get that back (and very quickly) which may be an incentive for micro businesses to register for vat so as to reclaim on supplier purchases. No need to wait until you get near £81k.

Or do you think GoDaddy should have continued to have an unfair advantage in selling domains to individuals against British registrars, and micro registrars like us?

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

VAT is a "Value Added Tax", and the whole idea of is is that at each stage in a production process where value is added, it is taxed.

If a manufacturer buys paper from a factory, he pays VAT because that factory is assumed to have added value to turn wood pulp & water into paper. When he turns that paper into pretty bags he adds value, and his purchaser then pays VAT on the additional cost for adding that value. OK, so the current scheme is implemented through a serious of pay-and-claim-back-when-you-sell steps, but the principle still applies. The added value is taxed.

So, logically, why is the VAT not payable in the place where the value was added? If that manufacturer is in the UK, and the purchaser is in France, the value was still added in the UK. It doesn't make logical sense for the final purchaser to pay the tax in the state where they live, since by definition that final purchaser is adding no value. If that French purchaser walks into the manufacturer's shop in London, buys the product, and takes it home to France, he won't be expected to claim back the VAT at Dover & pay French VAT when he gets home. Why should it be different if he is making the purchase by proxy?

The cynic in me can't help but wonder if this is an EU backdoor to ensure that wealthy countries still get tax income even as their manufacturing industry is exported to cheaper places. If a German goes online and buys a cheap TV that is made in, and shipped from, say, Romania instead of one made in Hamburg, the German treasury will still get the tax.

1. Tom 13

Re: VAT is a "Value Added Tax",

and the whole idea of is is that at each stage in a production process where value is added, it is taxed.

No, that's just the bullshit they tell you so you'll accept it as a fair and reasonable tax. The whole point of the VAT is to hide from the typical punter exactly how much money the government is extracting from them while at the same time allowing them to blame greedy global corporations for the insane prices the punter pays for things.

2. Stretch

" It really is the easiest system to use"

Is that why its scammed all the time?

1. Daniel von Asmuth
            Trollface

This is entirely EUreasonable

This must be the first time the EUvil empire did something good.

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

But for a couple of quid why not make your business UK only?"

1. How? The platforms (Folksy, Etsy etc.) don't allow that.(Even if we had our own website we would need to implement IP Address geolocation etc to try and block them)

2. Many of the sales are to outside the EU

I shudder to think what rules other countries outside the EU will now introduce in retaliation!

4. Dave Bell

I agree about the relative ease of keeping VAT records for a UK-only business. If you are trading over the internet you should have a computer, and a computer program to automatically do the bookkeeping.

But trading across intra-EU borders was always a bit of a mess. Where is the computer software which complies with the new system? I never switched to a fully computerised system. I'll be honest, it can be a bit gnarly for somebody without some specific training, and my business wasn't making enough transactions to make full computerisation worthwhile.

The businesses being affected by this are being hit by a horrible increase in complexity, with a high transition cost in buying new software, training to use it, and testing it.

4. Pete 2 Silver badge

> My wife sells knitting patterns on line. Global Turnover less than £2000.

So all that this rule will do is introduce large administrative overheads to EU based small businesses that sell to customers inside the EU.

The simple fix to this would be for small businesses within the EU simply to say "we will not sell or ship to addresses inside the EU". That still allows access to large proportion of the world - even a large proportion of the english-speaking world.

As a side-effect, it also reduces the EU's tax take - but we have to assume that the clever people who drafted this rule saw that coming and decided that was a desirable outcome </sarcasm>

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

>But for a couple of quid why not make your business UK only?

But how would you know?

If all you get is an email/paypal address how do you know if the visitor to your site is British?

Your foreigner can be quite tricky, some of them even speak English.

You could insist that they explain how to bowl a Yorker or play a few rounds of Mornington crescent, that should catch Jerry out.

1. LucreLout
            Big Brother

You could insist that they explain how to bowl a Yorker or play a few rounds of Mornington crescent, that should catch Jerry out.

I believe official advice is to watch the blighters order red wine with fish, or to drink tea in a pub.

1. Malmesbury

"watch the blighters order red wine with fish"

That always catches out the SMERSH assassin, old man.

2. heyrick Silver badge

"Your foreigner can be quite tricky, some of them even speak English. You could insist that they explain how to bowl a Yorker or play a few rounds of Mornington crescent, that should catch Jerry out."

Your foreigner could be me. I live in France. As a Brit, those questions wouldn't faze me. But send something to me, it's an export.

Oh, and for what it's worth, this is a really dumb way to approach the problem. I thought the point of the EU was to try to remove trade barriers, not erect one so massive that a fair number of people will simply refuse to trade internationally. I can understand wanting to deal with the megacorps paying a pittance in tax, but I can't help but feel that the potential collateral damage is going to be more disastrous than the problem that they were trying to fix.

5. Mr Anonymous

'My wife sells knitting patterns on line. Global Turnover less than £2000.'

Print the patern on a post card and post the physical goods to your client in the EU and email them a backup copy digitally.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

My wife is in the same position. She's doing her best to keep up with this issue, but virtually daily HMRC's position changes. That idiot Cable said at opne point that it wouldn't afffect many businesses! The latest from HMRC is indeed that if you receive an order and then send the pattern by email rather than an automated donwload, then the new regs don't apply to you. But they'll change their minds in a few days time. It's a fiasco. HMRC also claimed they;ve been making businesses aware of this for 18 months. They have, but only the big businesses which are already in the VAT schemes.

Oh, Cable also suggested that small businessed would have to sell through intermediaries who would in turn be liable under the new regs. For pattern sellers, for example, at a couple of quid a time, and a low turnover, how exactly will that be feasible?

Re the VAT reg comment, that's no use at all. ANYONE selling into the EU is liable for this, including non-EU sites, for example, US sites. So VAT registration has nothing to do with it.

6. Andrew Richards

Probably of no use but assuming VAT registration in the UK then it might be possible to get on the flat-rate scheme, which can be considerably easier to manage than the alternative.

1. Chris Evans

The Flat rate scheme doesn't apply to digital downloads unfortunately.

2. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: This is entirely UNreasonable @Andrew Richards

The Flat Rate Scheme (FRS) only applies to your UK business. EU business is effectively outside of the scheme and has to be fully accounted for. Additionally, once you join the FRS, you are required to charge VAT on ALL your sales. No HMRC have at least set up MOSS ( https://www.gov.uk/register-and-use-the-vat-mini-one-stop-shop ) so you only need to register for VAT for EU trading purposes.

I would also advise to approach the FRS with caution, as whilst it is simple, it does have some gotcha's which may be relevant to your business.

7. FlatSpot
        Paris Hilton

Sorry maybe I missed it but you only need to be VAT registered if you turnover £79,000 per annum? I'm looking at de-registering for VAT to make life simpler.

(Apologise if I missed the you must register for compliance requirement?)

1. Ben Tasker

There is a must register for the new rules - if you sell to an EU member state then theres no lower threshold of earnings. You can deregister from UK VAT but not from the new rules.

You don't _have_ to use the MOSS though. The EU is more than happy for you to instead register for VAT in any EU country you make sales to.

2. Chris Evans

"(Apologise if I missed the you must register for compliance requirement?)"

Apology accepted as for digital downloads the threshold in £0

Sellers have to VAT Register and use the MOSS system but DON'T need to charge VAT on UK sales if under £81,000p.a.

"This is important in the recent Amazon 1p case: the contract of sale is not formed until the customer has paid, AND the goods have been delivered to the customer. "

That may be the case in the UK, but this whole thing is about the differences in the rules between the different EU members. For example in Spain, the VAT is immediately payable as soon as the invoice is issued. There is no requirement for you to be paid, or for the contract to be upheld. Under a new law, you may be able to convince the tax office to rebate the VAT on something that doesn't end up being paid (although you'll have to wait until the end of the year for your refund, if any).

"VAT is a "Value Added Tax", and the whole idea of is is that at each stage in a production process where value is added, it is taxed."

NO - VAT is a consumption tax. It is paid when something is consumed. Intermediaries in the chain do not charge/pay VAT (and if they do, they claim it back). The idea is that the VAT is charged at the price that the consumer pays, which is normally the higest price in the chain. In your example, the printers buy their ink/paper VAT free, and only if it is sold to a consumer is VAT charged (although in the UK they could claim it is a book, and hence attracts VAT at 0%)

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

NO - VAT is a consumption tax. It is paid when something is consumed.

VAT is a consumption tax that is charged on added value. The clue is in the name: Value Added Tax.

Intermediaries in the chain do not charge/pay VAT (and if they do, they claim it back).

That's not an and, it's an or. The theory is that they pay, and if they aren't the final consumer they claim it back. Obviously they can simplify this by not paying it if they can justify that they will claim it back later.

The idea is that the VAT is charged at the price that the consumer pays, which is normally the higest price in the chain. In your example, the printers buy their ink/paper VAT free, and only if it is sold to a consumer is VAT charged

No, it is always charged to the final consumer. If the printer doesn't sell the product it becomes that final consumer and would have to declare and pay.

8. razorfishsl

Or she could just setup a business in Hong kong and not worry about it.

5. LucreLout

All of this applies to digital delivery as well: the contract is only formed once the good has been downloaded onto the user's machine, and so VAT should be payable in the customer's location.

And if I use my kindle to order a book and to which the book is delivered while I am on holiday in Spain, but my Amazon account is registered to a UK address, where then would you expect the VAT to fall?

The transaction has been conducted and completed entirely in Spain, between one UK based entity (me) and one based in Sarl (Amazon).

I agree with most of your post, but to suggest the location of the receiving device be the sole arbiter for VAT jurisdiction creates a rather interesting issue. What if I buy 100 albums and post my iPod to a colleague in New York, who downloads the music his network in America and sends it back. Are my purchases now VAT free? Why not?

If it's location of device used to make the purchase, then tunnelling into a virt outside the EU or in a low VAT location within it would also be valid.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like