back to article Couch potatoes relax: Netflix scores big STREAMING TV PATENT win

Netflix has scored a big win in its ongoing patent infringement battle with video-on-demand software provider OpenTV. The District Court of the Hague on Wednesday ruled that Netflix does not infringe OpenTV’s patent in the Netherlands, saying that the latter’s claim did not meet the criteria of “novelty and inventiveness”. In …

1. Anonymous Custard
    Headmaster

Wide Load?

Coach potatoes relax: Netflix scores big STREAMING TV PATENT win

What the hell's a coach potato?

Someone who watches so much telly that they don't fit in a car any more, let alone a couch?

1. Darren B 1

Re: Wide Load?

Have an up-vote for that beautiful observation which I missed. I have tears of joy (even if it is under the influence which means I am a little more joyous than I would have been).

2. Mike Flugennock

Sorry, it's an American thing. Refers to someone who watches so much TV -- or is just sedentary in general -- that they've eventually gained weight and assumed the shape of a potato -- or something like that. At least that's what I heard when first heard the term "couch potato" in the early '80s.

1. Blane Bramble
        Facepalm

Yup, that's a couch potato. The question was what is a coach potato (see headline).

3. Fungus Bob

Re: What the hell's a coach potato?

Someone who can't afford to fly first class...

2. Mike Flugennock
    Meh

great, fine, congratulations

Now, if only Netflix offerings weren't generally the modern-day equivalent of the infamous "straight-to-VHS" movies.

1. Greg J Preece

Re: great, fine, congratulations

They need to improve their selection outside the US. Canada fares pretty well, but the selection is still inferior. The UK? Phhht, rubbish. However, if you're the savvy type and have an endpoint somewhere in the states, they will do bugger all to prevent you tunnelling.

1. MrRtd

Buying a VPN service is relatively cheap and the software is super easy to install and use, then you can enjoy Netflix from any country your VPN service has servers and Netflix operates. I don't think anyone needs to be tech savvy to do this and I'd argue if a person isn't capable of this, they probably shouldn't be using a computer.

1. Michael Habel

Buying a VPN service is relatively cheap and the software is super easy to install and use, then you can enjoy Netflix from any country your VPN service has servers and Netflix operates. I don't think anyone needs to be tech savvy to do this and I'd argue if a person isn't capable of this, they probably shouldn't be using a computer.

I have a better idea... How about we drop this pretentious Geo-locking / blocking bullsh--!

Then there wouldn't be a need to shell out for these VPNs.

1. P. Lee
            Coat

If you're shelling out for your VPN, you might be in for shock.

I'll get me coat.

2. Florida1920

Turns out there's a free VPN way to do this, so thanks for the suggestion. I'm watching a UK-based Netflix flick now. After looking over the selection, I can tell you it isn't much better in the U.S. Guess it depends on the studios that want to do a deal with Netflix. There are a few U.S. TV shows available in the U.K. that aren't available here in the States, but not the ones I'd want to watch.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

In other news...

Sony has announced that it will distribute the "Interview" to Netflix in a $1,000,000 deal as a no charge download since it has already been leaked by the North Koreans.

Another Franco/Grogan masterpiece of comedy available to all.

1. Mike Flugennock

Re: In other news...

"Another Franco/Grogan masterpiece of comedy available to all."

I'll have to assume you're being sarcastic there.

From all accounts, Jimmy Franco and Seth Rogen make Abbott & Costello look like Cleese & Chapman.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: In other news...TRULY PROPHETIC!!!!! VISIONARY!!!!!

And Sony did exactly what I said they would. Except be on different streaming services.

And YES the last sentence was pure satire. However, to truly appreciate their comedy you have to be really high. Same thing works for Abbott and Costello, the Franco/Grogan of their time.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like