back to article HP's shareholder settlement deal over Autonomy merger DENIED – again

A US district judge has thrown out a proposed settlement deal of a sueball lobbed at HP by some of the company's shareholders, after it bought Blighty software outfit Autonomy for $10.7bn in 2011. "The shareholders appear to be relinquishing a whole universe of potential claims regarding HP governance and practices with no …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

HP are one of those rare companies that everything they do is completely beyond comprehension. There are people who believe that this is because their board and senior management are comprised of the sort of people who forget whether their underpants go outside or inside their trousers, and for who, the act of tying shoelaces is and advanced act of complex magic, thought and action, given only to the elder gods.

I believe that HP's actions are incomprehensible because the company is staffed by ur-humans and evolved lifeforms.

I wonder who's right?

1. DonM.

It was once said that the best predictor of the behavior of any large company is to imagine that the board and all senior executives had been replaced by the company's worst enemies. Imagine their actions and that is most likely what will come to pass ...

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Mushroom

Oh goody

an early christmas pressie for the phalanxes of Lawyers busy feathering their nests on this case (if there is a case at all)

What I think of those leeches (sorry lawyers) ----> see Icon

1. nematoad
      Unhappy

Re: Oh goody

A conundrum indeed.

“But as it now stands, the Second Amended Settlement confers a substantial benefit on the individual defendants and derivative plaintiffs’ counsel...”

So because the judge has spotted that the settlement gives the defendants a get out of jail card applicable to all previous misdemeanors and lines the pockets of the lawyers defending them with no benefit to the plaintiffs, they are all going to have to go back to square one and try to thrash out something a little less lop-sided. For which the aforementioned lawyers plus their counterparts can continue with their snouts in the trough.

It does make you wonder which side the plaintiffs' lawyers are on if they agreed to such a settlement.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Spherically incompetent

Let's remind ourselves again that even if Autonomy's books turn out to be entirely clean, HP *still* paid around $3B more than anybody else thought Autonomy was worth.

And the $8.8B they want to write down would mean that Autonomy was worth *less than nothing* when they bought it. The only level on which that makes sense is that HP is trying to bury a whole lot of write-downs for other mistakes with this corpse.

The whole Autonomy saga makes HP's board and senior leadership look spherically incompetent: equally incompetent whichever way you look at it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Spherically incompetent

I think the word you're looking for is "Pointy haired".

Sadly, a lot of large corporations have most of the management and up layer thinking about only one thing, how do I climb the ladder?

Doing your job right is, sadly, rarely how it's accomplished. So you end up with a lot of brown nosed idiots who just throw a fit when things don't magically happen how they wanted it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like