back to article Oracle snaps up Facebook data slurper Datalogix

Oracle has snapped up data slurping company Datalogix - an oufit best known for collecting info from retailers and sharing it with the likes of Facebook. Datalogix measures the offline purchasing data of more than $2tn (£1.3tn) in consumer spending against social media ad browsing. The company has 650 customers, including 82 …

1. Yugguy

Data Mining is bollocks

If all this slurping and mining and targetting is going on, how come, as a 44 year old male who likes heavy metal, am I offered a free Olly Murs album off Google? I'd rather stick a spike through my ear drums than listen to that gurning chimp. It can't be my youtube history or my online purchasing profile. I have never bought an mp3 or CD of or listened to or viewed an Olly Murs track, ever, and neither have my wife or daughter who I sometimes buy music for online.

Targetted ads??? I wouldn't actually mind if they were. Like when's the next Manowar or Tool album out?

2. ItsNotMe
    Mushroom

And it's just one MORE reason...

...not to use Farcebook.

3. IGnatius T Foobar

Datalogix 2

The funny thing is that this is the second time Oracle has bought a company called Datalogix. I worked for a company by that name back in 1987. We had a software suite that did formula management for manufacturing companies. It was bought by Oracle.

http://www.nytimes.com/1996/09/25/business/oracle-agrees-to-buy-datalogix-for-94-million.html

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Are those numbers correct?

In what world is $2trn (£1.3bn) ?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like