back to article Privacy-loving boxing kangaroo biffs drone out of the sky

Footage has emerged of a kangaroo boxing a drone out of the sky. Newzulu posted the footage below, in which said marsupial takes a shot at a camera-bearing autonomous craft. To Vulture South's trained eye*, this looks like an Eastern Grey, a mid-sized 'roo that's not noted for being particularly aggressive. Indeed, Kangaroos …

1. frank ly

FOTM!

Fall of the machines. Wonderful to watch too.

2. Ole Juul

Natural Competition

Can drones and roos coexist, or will we start to see the adverse effects of an invasive species? I guess it will come down to the balance of the roos resistance to invasion and the propagule pressure of the drones. So far it's looking good for the roos.

3. Jungleland

What kind of drone was it?

I'd say a Norwegian Blue!

1. Denarius
      Coat

Re: What kind of drone was it?

so drone hit by native Oz creature. Yup, clearly a major political party drone. My coats the one with mud splashes around pockets

4. Richard Jones 1
    Holmes

Invade the Space of any Animal With Young

If you want to upset any animal with young just invade its space. Even humans with children they would sometimes like to disown will help you on your way if you interfere. The drone must have been far to close.

One up to the roo, good on you mate.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Invade the Space of any Animal With Young

Don't mess with Skippy! Especially if she's raring young.

5. Michael Thibault

Where's the beef?

Never mind: found it by searching on "kangaroo drone" and ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFWUlObSgn0

I can't be arsed to fiddle with permissions in NoScript to find out whether or not the link is hidden behind one or another JavaScript. Is it not possible to ensure that a link expressly referenced in a story is always explicitly present i.e. not dependent on scripts running indiscrimately? And can El Reg ensure that anything in Facebook is explicitly flagged (e.g. NSFW) within the body text immediately adjacent the link?

6. WraithCadmus

The King of Iron Fist

Roger Wins!

7. Harry the Bastard

leggything 1

drongodrone 0

8. Tac Eht Xilef

'Roos have a history of this

You forgot to mention the obligatory : http://www.snopes.com/humor/nonsense/kangaroo.asp

9. ukgnome

this story has fish and chips on it!

Excellent - I want my tech news three days later please.

Don't you guys check out buzzfeed occasionally?

10. This post has been deleted by its author

11. Chris G

Drone Rues the Roo it Flew Too

Plus one for the roo.

A friend of mine is a successful musician and he had some wally this summer trying to look into his garden with a camera laden drone, what the guy didn't expect was his drone being battered by an RC chopper about 30% bigger than the drone.

Neither survived but it was a handy draw and my mate could afford it!

Drones can be great fun but there are quite a lot of arsehole operators abusing them.

12. Crazy Operations Guy

Civilian Drones vs. Military drones

Can someone come up with different terms for the two? Calling them the same thing is akin to calling a news channel's helicopter a stealth bomber...

They are even two completely different classes of aircraft altogether, not to mention the drastic difference in size. One is a single-engine, fixed-wing craft 8-meters in length and wingspan of 15-meters and carries enough armament to level a city block. The other is a multi-engine rotary-wing craft that, at most, is a half-meter square that can barely destroy a sand-castle...

1. FrankAlphaXII

Re: Civilian Drones vs. Military drones

Four hellfire missiles and two 500 lb bombs cannot level a city block. Simply not going to happen unless you're bombing shanties. There are plenty of gun camera videos out there of 500 lb bomb strikes and even more TADS video of US and British Army Apaches shooting Hellfires if you want to see what I mean, don't get me wrong the damage these weapons can inflict is nothing to sneeze at, but its not like Daisy Cutter or Grand Slam grade damage either.

You're talking about a fairly large area here, if you want to level it, you're gonna need a manned attack aircraft like an F-15E Strike Eagle, F-16F Desert Falcon, F-2 (Japan) Viper Zero, Tornado, Su-25 Frogfoot or a bomber like a B-52, Tu-90 or B-1B. You would be able to take down a few buildings with a Reaper's 4 Hellfire/2 JDAM loadout, but nailing an entire block would take a significantly larger payload than what the Reaper* can carry. You might be able to fit enough armament on the RQ-170 to be able to do it, since they're roughly the size of an F-117A (they operate them out of the same hangars at Tonopah Test Range Airport that were used for the F-117 when it was still a black project so it wouldn't surprise me at all if they can handle the same level of armament) but since that's a grey project they're tight lipped about what it can actually do, the RQ-170 may not be able to equip weapons at all.

Either way, calling the Civilian drones simply "drones" and calling the Military and Government vehicles either UAS or UCAS depending on capability would work for what you're after. Technically the civilian ones are UAS as well, but it would be an easy way to differentiate. Also, there are no purpose built civilian UCAS, though you might be able to mount a carbine on one of the bigger civilian drones or strap a bomb to one. I seriously doubt the Government would go for a 2nd Amendment argument in that case though so I don't recommend doing it.

*-I'm assuming you're referencing the Reaper due to the dimensions you gave, though you're slightly off as the Reaper is 11 meters long with a 20 meter wingspan.

1. ChrisBedford

Re: [Frank Alpha XII] Civilian Drones vs. Military drones

"Four hellfire missiles and two 500 lb bombs cannot level a city block [...etc etc etc]"

Pedant.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like