back to article Peak Samsung: Bottom line walloped in Chinese mobe, slab war

Cheap slabs and smartphones from Chinese brands are taking a toll on the once seemingly unstoppable tech sales machine Samsung Electronics as it forecast a year-on-year crash in Q4 profit. The chaebol warned in a preliminary earnings guidance message that operating profit will be more than 37 per cent lighter on the same …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Consistency consistency ...

> but demand for tabs went from bad to worse last year, so it is not unfeasible this played a part.

... and then on the next line ...

> Shipments of tablets grew 11 per cent,

So, global demand for tablets went up then ... how this this "bad" or "worse"? Just Samsung can't shift theirs ...

1. SuccessCase

Re: Consistency consistency ...

The Register also, of course, fail to report market share for Apple iPhone has risen sharply in virtually all markets. Odd that.

http://techcrunch.com/2015/01/07/kantar-november-2014/

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

They said SHIPMENTS of tablets went up 11%. If Samsung has 300,000 unsold tablets in the UK alone, how many did they have worldwide? How many did other OEMs have? It is possible actual tablet sales didn't grow or even shrunk last year, depending on how many shipped versus how many sold.

1. SuccessCase

Samsung have form when it comes to, ahem, flexed figures and always seem to have found clever ways to get around the SEC reporting rules (such as standing by and saying nothing when agencies they work with to drop exagaerated shipped numbers into conversation, which then get widely reported as happened on a huge scale when they first got in the tablet business).

Problem is when the business turns for the worse, and it's clear the bad figures are more than a blip, suddenly a bigger gap opens up than is easily explicable. Probably the figures haven't got suddenly quite so bad this reported year, it was probably already happening in the last reported year as well, but you can't sequentially hide the reality of double entry bookkeeping. The chickens have come home to roost.

1. PNGuinn
          Go

Ah - the Tesco Effect. They should try the Ratner Method.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Thanks Doug - I always forget the shipped vs sold distinction - not a channel guy =)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not all of us want a Samsung 'Facebook' TV...

Ill keep buying Samsung if they keep delivering, but their blind rush to TV-IoT worries me... Hello? Stop the privacy raping please! Eh, no I can't wade through your 20-50 page privacy disclosure document! Not all of us want a Facebook TV...

=============================

......."Samsung has declared that by 2017 every television it sells will be internet-connectable, prompting one of its executives to suggest we'll soon stop referring to "smart" TVs as such because net-enabled services will be the norm."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-30695528

......."I’m Terrified of My New TV: Why I’m Scared to Turn This Thing On — And You’d Be, Too... I am now the owner of a new “smart” TV, which promises to deliver streaming multimedia content, games, apps, social media, and Internet browsing. Oh, and TV too. The only problem is that I’m now afraid to use it. You would be too — if you read through the 46-page privacy policy."

http://www.brennancenter.org/analysis/im-terrified-my-new-tv-why-im-scared-turn-thing

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Not all of us want a Samsung 'Facebook' TV...

Don't buy South Korean tech then, they famously love bells and whistles.

3. cmannett85

My Note 2 died a couple of weeks ago, my immediate thought was just to replace it with the latest incarnation - but then I started looking at offerings by OnePlus and Xiaomi and was blown away by the value for money.

I settled on a OnePlus One 64GB and can't be happier. The camera isn't quite as good as a Note's, but then again it's HALF the price!

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Not sure the OnePlus One compares directly with a Note 4 but it's still certainly excellent value. Though it also looks like OnePlus are cutting some corners with their products. Caveat emptor.

OLED's a breaker for me so I'm happy to stick with Samsung and, to be honest the stylus-based Notes are damn impressive machines with no direct competition for what they do. But if you don't want that, then sure, go for something cheaper.

4. cambsukguy

A revaluation of the currency

Make 1000 won into 1 (new) won and the numbers would all match Dollars/Pounds/Euros nicely.

Saves all that Trillion stuff.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Apple are releasing fairly uninteresting revisions to products, Samsung has nothing to copy and so aren't doing so well either, quelle surprise.

6. dogged

uh, logically speaking

> In the smartphone market, Chinese vendors now comprise three of the top five biggest sellers worldwide, as consumers opt for lower cost devices

Yeah but those are all FoxConn machines. As are most of Samsung's and all of Apple's.

FoxConn won the smartphone wars. Four years ago. All the rest is meaningless.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like