back to article Activist Elliott gets two seats on the EMC board

EMC - currently under attack by activist investor Elliott Management, which is wanting it to sell off VMware - has granted Elliott two board seats. The EMC board has been expanded from 11 to 13 seats to make room for the two, Jose Almedia (chairman, president and CEO of global healthcare company Covidien), and Donald Carty ( …

1. Mark 85

Surprise! The enemy is on our board.....

So he's practicing the Icahn Method? Get them on the board, break up and sell off.... then leave the dregs and go find another target?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I find it interesting...

It is interesting that the focus of the discussion around what EMC should do with Vmware has largely been based on the premise of a sale. I for one find the scenario where EMC buys back the remaining 20% stake to be far more interesting...and quite frankly...far more strategic in the long-term for EMC.

1. Mark 85

Re: I find it interesting...

That is the normal thinking... long range goals, for most of us. But for people like Elliot and Icahn, they don't give a rat's patootie for long term. All they care about is quick and large profit. Once he gets his way, he'll make his profit and be gone leaving behind nothing but wreckage and employees without an employer.

patootie for those not familiar: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/patootie see definition #1. I'm just trying to be polite.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like