back to article David Cameron: I'm off to the US to get my bro Barack to ban crypto – report

UK Prime Minister David Cameron is hoping to gain the support of US President Barack Obama in his campaign-year crusade to outlaw encrypted communications his spies can't break, sources claim. As reported by the Wall Street Journal, the Conservative Cameron would like to see left-leaning Obama publicly criticize major US …

Page:

1. PleebSmash
    Mushroom

ya right

In the off-chance that Cameron could somehow convince our Silicon Valley friendly Obama to back his stupid plan to weaken encryption, and somehow get the result passed by a Republican-controlled Congress, the tech community will go to war.

Make Cameron retire plz Brits so we don't have to laugh, cry and spit at this nonsense.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: ya right

It's pretty much a given that he's out. The question is which omnicidal moron we install in his place.

Yes, it does have to be an omnicidal moron I'm afraid. Whoops, Apocalypse was a documentary.

1. K
        Big Brother

Got to love British politics, our choices are

A) Get raped in taxes by Labour

B) Have our freedoms stripped by Conservatives

Either way we're being robbed.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Except that now they're listening to the other side and Labour are adding a bit of B to attract former tories while the Conservatives are adding a bit of A to attract disaffected Labour voters.

Meanwhile, experts wonder why the Labour+Conservative share of the vote is at an all-time low.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Sadly not so,

Miliband voted for DRIPA and told his lackeys to vote it in. But good luck in removing our 1.4 Trillion debt without raising taxes as Tories just keep giving their mates tax cuts and you will only pay privately (Thus paying anyway)

I would not assume Cameron is going, it is not clear cut as he can outspend Labour and the others as he raised the spending limits so he could (He also changed the electoral register system to be in his favour - You do actually read the voter registration stuff that comes through the door?)

Cameron is up there with Putin in being dodgy, and he may well stick around and this will become in some way actual law.

Be very afraid. (Or make sure you vote)

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I think you will find that all the ministers responsible for spying both Labour and Conservative have been bastards.

4. Chris Parsons

@K - don't forget that Jackboots Smith was every bit as keen to remove our freedoms as that cretin May. If I remember correctly, returning our stolen freedoms was something that nice Mr Cameron was going to do when he gained power. They're all shites, that is what is so depressing, there is no-one with integrity or vision.

2. rh587

"It's pretty much a given that he's out. The question is which omnicidal moron we install in his place."

A given? Is it? Lots of people seem to complaining about Cameron, but they're not all clamouring to vote for Milliband either. Realistically, if it's another coalition it's going to be Dave or Ed in as the senior partner, and I wouldn't stake money on it being Ed.

All depends - at the end of the day - on how successfully the SNP split the Labour vote, UKIP split the Tory vote and what happens with the disaffected LibDem vote.

2. MrXavia

We will try!

Not sure what good it will do though...

BUT if anyone in IT votes for Cameron this time round? they need a cattle prod up the butt!

1. Bloodbeastterror

Re: We will try!

*I* voted for Cameron last time.

In my defence, I didn't know I was. I cast my ballot for Lib Dems, who promptly sold me down the river to a party which I despise and whose members will largely go to to Hades for their love of money and lack of love for their fellow man.

The Lib Dems are off my list for the rest of my life for their treachery.

I'd like to vote Labour, but we no longer have a Labour party, just a pale blue imitiaion of Tories - thanks for that, Tony. (And enjoy your Save The Children award. I hope it came with money...?)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

The Lib Dems are off my list

The Labour are off my list

The Cameronians are off my list

The Funny bloke is off my list

And yet... one of them will "represent" me

1. Babbit55

I am actually seriously considering voting Green, they are the only party that doesn't seem completely bonkers and out of touch!

1. Anonymous Coward
              Unhappy

"they are the only party that doesn't seem completely bonkers and out of touch!"

Apart from the fact you could, without any doubt apply the following:

Petrol & Diesel will go up.

Gas and Electric will go up.

We will have blackouts due to "investment" in "green" energy over gas, coal and nuclear power.

More congestion charges will come into force throughout the country.

Increased council tax bill as we subsidise more empty buses and trains going to places people don't want to go to....

And on and on...

It's a sad state of affairs when Lord Sutch would of made the most sensible choice.

1. Chris Parsons

The problem with the Greens is that they don't seem to realise that energy, especially electricity, has to come from somewhere, and we use rather a lot of it. They don't want coal, they don't want oil, they don't want gas, they don't want nuclear, but they do want electricity.And so do I.

2. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

@Babbit55, You are joking I hope. They are the ones that would see us on a very limited electricity supply - only when the wind blows - so there would be no need for crypto as no one could run a computer.

1. Babbit55

I highly doubt that they would limit the elec and gas usage and cause blackouts, that is ridiculous. Though I honestly have little clue who to actually vote for as they are all out of touch, and it is a sad state of affairs when the closest parties to even consider are still very out of touch

2. CommanderGalaxian

What you need is for the SNP to stand some candidates south of the border.

3. BongoJoe

The party I vote for is Plaid Cymru as if we ignore all the fables that seem to surround Plaid (cue the downvoters...) they actually stand for a lot of what people here are asking about.

If one watches Question Time and sees that rare occurance of a politician talking sense then, evens offered, it will be Elfyn Llwyd.

There's two problems with Plaid, unfortunately. First is that they have no influence or interests outside of the principality and, secondly, outside of the Welsh heartlands (I am looking at you South Wales) they're wiped off the map by Labour voters who have voted Labour because they've always voted Labour and shall ever more do so even when Labour were in their lot didn't improve.

Out of all the parties from all over the UK this lot are by far the least worst but, alas, they will never have any say in things unless South Wales gives them a few seats and there's another hung parliament.

2. birchanger_toper

@Bloodbeastterror - rarely have I read a post I've agreed with so strongly.

3. Dr Paul Taylor

> who promptly sold me down the river to a party which I despise

> The Lib Dems are off my list for the rest of my life for their treachery.

Wrong. Gordon Brown had to go. The Lib Dems were in the Coalition to rein in the wild animals of the Tory party, which they have done pretty successfully.

The problem is that the British electorate does not understand what a "coalition" means.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Terminator

If we want to blame a politician who gave us somebody else when we voted for them, we can bring this back to Tony. He insisted, repeatedly, that the warnings that "vote Blair get Brown" were entirely unfounded because there was no chance he would step down before the following election.

Five minutes in, he's gone and we've got Brown and things rapidly go so badly to shit that we vote in GlaDoS to stop Brown. Worried that GlaDoS might flood the country with neurotoxin we vote in a coalition, effectively attaching a "morality core" to stop GlaDoS from flooding the country with neurotoxin.

Now, with an election looming, GlaDoS is reminding us that, if voted in without a morality core after the election, GlaDoS is still going to flood the country with neurotoxin. So let's not do that, mmkay?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Alas, we don't have the equivalent of the 22nd Amendment in the UK that would restrict a Prime Minister to two terms of office.

So, we could have Cameron for quite a few more years. Or, heaven forbid, Ed Milliband or Nigel Farage.

4. g e

However I must say

That I'm at least minded to vote this year - I never really think there's anything to vote FOR in the UK as they're all largely feckless, backhander-trousering, mendacious, self-serving, manipulative bastards.

That Cameron twunt, though, he's in a league of his own to the extent I feel the need to vote.

Against him.

1. Graham Marsden

Try Vote for Policies

Instead of voting for a face or a coloured ribbon, try looking at the policies you support and the ones you disagree with to decide how to vote: http://voteforpolicies.org.uk/

1. Jonathan Richards 1

Re: Try Vote for Policies

Yes, what he said. If everyone took the time to read the manifestos, we'd have a chance of electing MPs that do the most of what we want them to do. The trouble is that the path from my vote, through MP selection, party infighting and leadership selection, to Her Majesty inviting some individual to form a government, is opaque at best.

On a related topic, all the pictures at the top of El Reg articles are too big, but *this* one is shockingly unpleasant :(

1. nuked

Any what, exactly, has a manifesto to do with the decisions that those elected to power actually end up taking. A general election is simply a measure of who can sell the biggest story to a gullible population.

2. Adrian 4

That's all very well, but it's the policies they don't tell you about and the policies they fail to implement that really matter. The glossy magazine is just for elections.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

David Cameron

<inbetweeners>Cryptowanker</inbetweeners>

1. Sir Runcible Spoon
      Thumb Up

Re: David Cameron

Wow, that arrived with the accent and sneer and everything. +1

3. IT Hack

A request

Please can we keep politicians away from talking about technology please? All they end up doing is embarrassing themselves, panic the moronics in our society and generally fuck things up.

1. BongoJoe

Re: A request

I think that's their plan. They panic the moronics, bugger things up as you say and then insist on staying on to solve the problems that they caused and then the aforementioned moronics vote them back in again because of imminent $THREAT.

Rinse, repeat, retire to the speaking circuit in the US and profit.

You make it sound ever so random when in fact it's a well crafted plan.

1. Roger Kynaston

if [ ! $THREAT ]

then

let $THREAT = 1

else

let $THREAT = 1

fi

2. Bloodbeastterror

I recommend to all thinking people this book:

The Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism by Naomi Klein.

If you get to the end without your blood boiling you haven't read it properly.

1. dogged

Naomi Klein is not exactly well-known for her ability to research or present something she didn't explicitly decide to prove before writing the damn book.

Also, only a passing acquaintance with the facts of any matter.

It's easy to be cynical about politicians selling you their agenda. You just have to be equally cynical about journalists who make money from lecture tours.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Naomi Klein is not exactly well-known for her ability to research or present something she didn't explicitly decide to prove before writing the damn book.

Unfortunately, this.

2. Preston Munchensonton
          Flame

"The Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism by Naomi Klein"

It would help if people understood what capitalism means. Let me help you:

Laissez-faire Capitalism != Crony Capitalism

Manipulating government interference and regulation should never be confused for individual freedom to associate and trade. This is possibly the most common mistake made by people anywhere in the world. How anyone can so badly confuse the two is beyond comprehension.

Don't bother reading such trash. It's meant for the feeble-minded simpletons.

4. Oliver Mayes

Next up, putting locks on your doors to be banned as it may hinder the police when they urgently need to search your house without a warrant. After all, only a terrorist would have something to hide behind a locked door.

1. Robert Helpmann??
      Childcatcher

Putting locks on your doors to be banned

Careful there! Someone might latch onto this and try to get it passed into law.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Putting locks on your doors to be banned

Think of all the crimes that would be solved if the Police were allowed to search everyone's homes at will.

1. DrGoon

Re: Putting locks on your doors to be banned

It could also be extended to save taxpayer money on having police stations. Depending on who had the best bacon butties and cups of tea (British donut and coffee equivalents) a "private" home could be selected as the day's squad room.

2. Voland's right hand Silver badge

It is banned, just indirectly

Have you tried to install an average (not top of the line) European lock in the UK to replace the POS that any beginner Eastern European crim can pick with a toenail? Show the cylinder from your "High Security" Yale/Masterlock/etc lock to someone on the other side of the channel. They will laugh their arse off hysterically.

I tried last week - I put a reasonably up-to-date German cylinder from a well known manufacturer. The model is sold widely on Amazon and used on the continent where it is considered minimal security (it barely gets past basic insurance reqs). It is combination of cuts and coded dimples - half way between a classic lock and a modern fully blown Euro Plus.

Well, the result was that I was peasantly surprised by finding that NOT A SINGLE key cutting service in the UK can cut keys for it. I will now have to cut keys for it in the local supermarket next time I am on the continent. So you choice for lock in the UK is either a POS which can be picked in under 15 seconds by a beginner Moscow/Sofia/Bucharest/Kiev burglar or a fully blown Euro Plus series coded lock which costs an arm and a leg and a prosthetic. It is quite interesting that you are also "encouraged" to disclose the latter on your insurance (and you know very well who has real time access to the insurance database).

Now, I wonder why this is the case... Historical examples come to mind. Stalin had all of the following banned for the general population:

1. Carrying and possession offensive weapons of any kind.

2. High security locks.

3. Encryption of any shape or form.

Hmm... Interesting similarities here...

1. OldBiddie

Re: It is banned, just indirectly

Won't they just break in through your window instead?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

No need. If they're euro cylinders (UPVC door locks) then you can just bump them or snap them. Can be done in under a minute.

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

you can just bump them or snap them

Some of the newer Eu entry cylinder have one or more pins which are shallow drilled making them fairly bump resistant. Not sure if the one I have is one of these (I would not be surprised).

In any case, what I find interesting is that the police and HMG keeps promoting b***cks in terms of trivial anti-crime measures (like the "Did you spy on your neighbour" aka Neighborhood Watch) and or CCTV schemes while being vehemently against even minimal measures that can provide a private individual with improved anti-crime protection.

1. Encryption of personal sensitive data.

2. Higher security locks, personal safes, etc.

3. Security of key online data.

Curious minds wonder you know... Curious minds also remember exactly where did owning any of these technical artefacts got you in Stalin days too...

Curious minds also wonder why what they promote has secondary use (CCTV) for the purposes of mass surveilance and/or making people acustomed to being under mass surveilance (watch & co). Curious minds also remember that Stalin loved that too...

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

That's more a case of them being uncommon due to the dim skinflint UK public not wanting to spend more than £20 on a lock, plus the fact those keys are proprietary.

My Euro cylinders are high security, but the keys are very unusual. They have magnets in them. so you aren't going to find a booth that will cut a key from a blank, it's a different process.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I fitted some very high security locks which I bought overseas. They are superior to the UK-market locks in every respect.

But UK home insurers insist on locks with a BS kitemark stamped on them, so I had to fit some crappy UK locks as well!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

You can get decent British locks, just search for anti-bump anti-snap.

They are around £35 - £45 depending on the lock dimensions.

3. CommanderGalaxian

>"Next up, putting locks on your doors to be banned as it may hinder the police when they urgently need to search your house without a warrant."

Hint: there's a reason why all locks made to BSI standards are trivial to "pick" without leaving a trace of damage. Google for "bump key".

5. adnim
    Unhappy

Terrorist are naughty

they break the law and do illegal things.

Has it crossed the mind of gov that new laws of restriction and banning are NOT going to be abided by law breakers. Only the law abiding follow laws, only the innocent will suffer.

Terrorist One: "its illegal to do that!"

Terrorisrt two: "OK I best stop, wouldn't want to break any laws"

Country is run by the fucking clueless. And I mean totally fucking clueless.

We need a government that isn't blind to the fucking obvious

1. Rich 11

Re: Terrorist are naughty

> We need a government that isn't blind to the fucking obvious

But governments are made up of politicians, whose entire agenda revolves around hiding the fucking obvious.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like