back to article LEAKED: Samsung's iPhone 6 killer... the Samsung Galaxy S6

Newly leaked specifications for the Samsung Galaxy S6 show the South Korean company taking the fight back to Apple. The expected flagship is expected to debut a year after we saw the S5 at Mobile World Congress. The “64-bit eight-core 14nm CPU which is 50% faster” could be the rumoured Snapdragon 820, but that’s likely to be …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why should Apple be worried?

The Samsung might be a geek treat, but the average iPunter isn't going to be taking much notice.

1. James Katt

Re: Why should Apple be worried?

They will notice that Samsung's Galaxy S6 is SLOWER.

1. InelegantHack

Yep.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/01/21/bugs-in-qualcomms-64-bit-snapdragon-810-may-force-samsung-to-use-its-own-exynos-chips-in-galaxy-s6-

2. Bob Vistakin
      Facepalm

Obviously because it's pretty much the same as an iPhone 6 but doesn't bend when you use it normally.

1. CaptainBlue
        Facepalm

Amazingly enough, my iPhone 6 doesn't when I'm using it normally, cramming it into my jeans pocket, etc. Hold the front page...

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

There's nothing even close to revolutionary. Incremental improvements in resolution, performance, etc. Did you find the S5 was too low resolution, or too slow? Did they recently install CAT-6 LTE where you live, and are you one of the few who still has an unlimited data plan?

The answer to all these things will be no for almost everyone, so I don't see why this is going to tempt anyone (Android fans included) any more than the S5. If it has a different design it may help, but changing the design it has had since at least the S3 days will also turn off some people too (especially if it has a glass back and non-removable battery, as one rumor indicated)

1. Scoular

Mature market syndrome

Every once new and revolutionary product line settles down after a few product generations and we only get evolutionary improvements. The margins tend to drop too.

This is normal. Revolutionary products are rather rare.

As Newton noted progress is made by standing on the shoulders of those who went before.

1. DropBear

Re: Mature market syndrome

This is normal. Revolutionary products are rather rare.

No. It's not. Get me a YotaPhone 2 if you want to get me interested - this does nothing my S2 doesn't already do.

2. Alan Brown Silver badge

"I don't see why this is going to tempt anyone (Android fans included) any more than the S5. "

My S2 is on its last legs. I don't need revolutionary. "Better" will do nicely.

3. fearnothing

On the other hand, it's important to me because I'd consider getting an S5 to replace my S3, and this will push the price down nicely :)

4. ThomH

I don't think Apple should be worried: the difference in Samsung's release schedule and Apple's routinely means that one manages to launch a newer/faster/shinier flagship than the other. It's business as usual. It's expected.

It's now been, what, four years since Android became number one? And eight years since the original iPhone came out? Apple is doing fine and Samsung is still doing spectacularly by any fixed measure, even if less spectacularly than for the last few years. But that's Android diversification and ever-ongoing phone commoditisation for you.

1. Jim 59

@ThomH have 2 upvotes.

@Wake up befor... Dude, 29 posts in 5 years and 5 of them in this one story ? The other 24 coinciding with other Samsung product launches and being pro-apple rants? Lol.

5. Ted Treen
      Facepalm

Is this "iPhone6-killer" related to the previous "iPhone5-killer" and the "iPhone4-killer" all of which were predicted to decimate the iPhone market?

1. yoganmahew

Can you worship the S6 like a god?

No problem for Apple then...

2. JEDIDIAH
        Linux

They're not doing too bad of a job so far. According to all of the cult members, Android should have failed by now. Yet it continues to eat more and more of Apple's lunch.

1. danny_0x98

Huh. Apple sells more iPhones every year. Profits and revenues up. The Android OEMS are losing at the low end to AOSP, but Android's Android right, so who cares about subtleties?

Okay, I wouldn't say you're wrong. Let's say that Android is eating Apple's ham and cheese sandwich while Apple enjoys an eight course dinner at a five-star restaurant. With classy floor show.

1. 20legend

'Apple sells more iPhones every year. Profits and revenues up.'

Shame the market share doesn't reflect this......

1. My backside

Oh, but profits do.

2. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Really, that "Market Share thing" I don't think it means what you think it means...

Despite being on the market for just over a month of the three months ending with October 2014, the iPhone 6 Plus captured 41% of 'phablet' sales—sales of smartphones with a screen size of 5.5 inches and larger.

(from the daily fail)

So that's giving Android Phablets 2 months to themselves, the 6+ sold enough in one month to be 41% of the market.

0-41%...that's a pretty big jump in market share...

So that's one phone model, vs Note 3,4 Nexus 6, etc.

If you want to look at iOS vs Android, then how many phone are currently running Lollipop vs IOS 8?

Ah yes 2.1 % of devices run the up to date secure Android...vs...IOS 8 52%....

So if it's that good.....why is no one running it...

Plus which android phones offer over wifi backup each night (of more than just photos and contacts to g+) and which devices come with advanced replacement, or shops that you can go and get them fixed or replaced at?

..sound of silence...tumble weeds roll by...

Android tried it for 3 years...it's not as good as people think it is.

3. Snapper

Market share.............

Oh Jesus H Christ, are you actually relying on that argument?

Irrespective of what is or isn't the best phone, the known FACTS are that Apple makes much more money than Samsung on phones that are actually brought rather than >cough< 'shipped'.

2. Joel 1

@JEDDIAH

After today's announcement, I really don't think Apple will be bothered by Android eating "more and more of Apple's lunch". Apple just seems to be getting bigger and bigger platefuls, so I'm not sure what Android is eating - the plates and napkins perhaps? Apple certainly doesn't seem to be going hungry.

Perhaps there are two separate markets developing? The Android one is certainly bigger by volume, but the lunch that is being eaten is that of feature phones. Android at the low end has certainly supplanted that. At the high end, both Android and Apple are growing, and possibly disconnected. Growth in one doesn't necessarily cannibalise the other - the growth can come from the low end feature phones as people decide that actually they want more than something to make phone calls with (do people still do that?)

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The Galaxy S3 did a pretty decent job against the iPhone 4 TBH......

6. Seanie Ryan

no matter what the specs, the biggest problem is that it still runs Android, so no Apple won't worry.

7. werdsmith Silver badge

More useless pixels per cm and more processor clock cycles aren't going to help people post to Facebook and send text message any better.

When phone companies start to make phones that are: able to survive dropping 6 feet on to concrete, able to survive being dropped in a toilet, good sunlight readability, good signal reception in fringe areas, long long battery life- stuff that is actually genuinely beneficial and not just bigger numbers for the sake of selling to dimwits, then I will take notice.

I need more pixels on my screen like I need more wheels on my car,

1. DanceMan

Re: able to survive dropping 6 feet on to concrete

My BB Q10 just survived 10 to 12 feet onto concrete, unharmed. Wearing slim rubbery protector, but still......

2. Pen-y-gors

And the price will be?

If it's £200-£250 I might be interested. Pointless spending more than that on a phone.

1. Steve Crook

Re: And the price will be?

Depends on how long you're likely to want to keep it.

I'm still using my HTC Desire, the version of android is too old and the CPU struggles with my satnav program. So I'm going to buy a new phone this year. I'd not expect to change it unless it breaks because the tech has reached a point where it's likely to be able to cope with everything I need for the foreseeable. So I'd be prepared to spend more for something I really like and that's going to last.

1. e^iπ+1=0

"I'd not expect to change it unless it breaks because the tech has reached a point where it's likely to be able to cope with everything I need for the foreseeable."

Just buy a Nexus 4 for $100 or so.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Nice Idea..

No 4G though.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Bollocks to 4G. I'll pay exactly the sort of price Samsung would like people to pay (£550 or so) if they add one new feature: One week battery life.

All the rest of the stuff that masquerades as progress, like faster processors, pixel upgrades on cameras, 4k screens, customer skins, smart fridge interfaces, 3D holography..... all that shit I don't give a tinker's cuss about. But what I want is a nice smartphone that can't go more than a few hours from a mains connection.

FFS, is it THAT difficult?

2. mrwenni

I'm planning to hold on to my trusty Desire (Runnymede ROM) a little longer. Still running fine and I dont see any killer app that compels me to buy a new smartphone yet...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's not a phone though is it?

3. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Trying to imitate Ivanova from Babylon 5: 8 cores... EIGHT!!! Whoaaa...

What do you really need in a phone FFS? Camera? I wold rather have a compact with decent optics (along the Nikon L330 lines). Games? There are tablets for that. Really, what else may you need an 8 core for? I cannot get the 4 cores in my desktop busy unless I compile something for crying out loud. And 8 cores?

I updated the "home fleet" using Xperia Z series little brother - the SP. 150£ off end-of-line sale, fully Cyanogen capable (as a future safety), unlockable bootloader, Mirrorlink, camera on par with the new iPhone (if not better), Gig of RAM and dual 1.7GHz core crait/adreno, 32+5G of Flash (mmc), LTE, bgan WiFi, NFC, BT 4.0, 4.6 inch 319 DPI screen.

So no new phones coming soon and definitely no Sammy the Plastic Easily Broken Whammy in this house. Every time I have had to deal with Sammy phones, tablets or monitors over the last 6 years it has always ended up in dealing with their repair shop. No thanks.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Linux

I would look for other roms than Cyanogen for that Xperia.

2. Alan Brown Silver badge

"What do you really need in a phone FFS?"

The ability to make calls.

These are miniature media computers with good cameras which happen to be able to make calls too.

4. P. Lee

>If it's £200-£250 I might be interested. Pointless spending more than that on a phone.

It's going to depend on Samsung's strategy. This is a flagship so I would expect it to be overspec'ed and expensive - that's what flagships are - aspirational. Apple won't be that worried because as the first poster noted, ipunters don't buy android. The key point about flagships is to make everyone think - "Aww, I wish I had that," even if they aren't in the market sector who would buy it. With the performance of the S5, Samsung need to go for features, not lock-in / network revenue.

If I were Samsung, I'd do things slightly differently - more like Apple for this. Find a unique, iconic design and take the name off the front, or at least make it very subtle. If it is the Snapdragon 820 the features are impressive. Unlike Apple, I'd turn this thing into a pocket computer. Make it do everything Apple would never do. Put all the connectivity features on it, even if you need to have the thing plugged into power when using it for driving an external screen or using all those cores. Bundle it with a docking station dongle for charging, HDMI/DVI/DP video & USB mouse, maybe Wii controllers too. Put an SD card slot in it. It may have 802.11ac in it, but not everyone has an ac network and even an N network can be too slow for HD video if you have a few walls in the way. Don't use storage capacity to push people to a more expensive phone, that's annoying and makes the brand-feature link hazy, 64G is fine.

Software is usually an issue with phones. Make sure it streams to a wide range of "smart" TVs and to VLC. If you can stream/store *from* elsewhere with VLC, that would be good too ;) They could do some cool stuff with "hand-off." Service announcement with mDNS and bluetooth, ssh to update bookmarks and flick-to-send file functionality, so you don't need a cloud. You also want to have simultaneous wifi hotspot and "infrastructure" mode for easy data transfers.

Sadly, I have a feeling they aren't going to do this.

5. DrXym

"If it's £200-£250 I might be interested. Pointless spending more than that on a phone."

Get a OnePlus One. I have one and it's proven itself to be very reliable and is plenty fast for my needs.

3. Zog_but_not_the_first
    Meh

Comsumers make choices based on careful analysis of all options

Well, as we all know, they (we!) don't. There are people who will buy a phone simply because it's an iPhone. No doubt there are fewer who will buy a phone because it's a Samsung.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

Re: Comsumers make choices based on careful analysis of all options

" I would NEVER take another Samsung without a written guarantee that all the crapware apps could be removed by the user."

Took me about 10 minutes after I'd rooted the phone.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Mike Bell

Re: Unwanted preloaded crap

Check out this bad boy.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Comsumers make choices based on careful analysis of all options

' I would NEVER take another Samsung without a written guarantee that all the crapware apps could be removed by the user.'

errr...... Root, uninstall - simples.....

4. Sealand
    Coat

Ah, but just wait until Apple releases the iPhone 6++, then Sammy will be in trouble. Until they get the S7 ready, which will have Apple scrambling for - wait for it - the iPhone 8 !!!.

Which of course is eventually toppled by Samsung with the ...

Popcorn anyone?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

the iPhone 6++

It would surely have to be the Objective6, not the 6++.

2. FIA Silver badge

I heard it's going to be called the iPhone 6++good.

5. clebin

"If leaks are real, Apple is in trouble"

You've not got the hang if this BuzzFeed thing have you?

Proper clickbait needs a number, like "5 Reasons why Apple is in trouble" or "7 Samsungs you won't believe actually exist". HTH.

1. messele

Re: "If leaks are real, Apple is in trouble"

"Why Samsung is suddenly going to reverse it's inevitable decline into loss-making also ran with one weird old Chinese trick"

Wasn't the waterproofing from last year's model a killer feature (anybody still got their USB bung attached to the phone by the way?) along with 16 MEGACORZ or whatever the processor trick was.

Conversely what happened to all the "ZOMG doesn't anybody know 64-bit just gives more memory" iPhone software gimmickry claims?

1. Wake up befor you sleep thru windows last crash...

Re: "If leaks are real, Apple is in trouble"

We all knew the 'no one needs 64bit and besides we will have it someday' was BS then, so my guess is that's still true.

6. MrWibble

Are you seriously using BGR as a source? Journalistic standards have dropped round here!

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like