back to article Sony blames NORK The Interview cyber strike for delayed Q3 report

Sony plans to delay its third-quarter financial results and has blamed North Korea’s crippling cyber attack on Sony Pictures Entertainment’s business systems. The media giant has asked Japan’s Financial Services Agency to extend its deadline by a month so it can compile the period’s results. Sony needs the extension so its …

1. Callam McMillan
    Coat

"Hackers took on Sony Pictures Entertainment for its film, The Interview, whose plot included the assignation of North Korea's people’s dictator Kim Jong-Un."

I wonder where Kim Jong-Un was assigned to?

2. MJI Silver badge

Strange looking weirdo

Who is that big baby?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The theft, posting and download of the films hadn't had a material impact on results, Sony claimed.

And they say piracy is killing the movie industry?

4. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

Why is there a side-order of a picture with Norkorian Grands Fromages??

I thought the only ones insisting that Nork is involved were FBI glitterati looking for a fast-track promotion and President Obamacare. What's up with that?

Did I mention this image is too large? It's time for me to get into on-the-fly DOM rewriting.

1. phuzz Silver badge

Re: Why is there a side-order of a picture with Norkorian Grands Fromages??

The NSA have shuffled their feet and admitted that they hacked a South Korean program that was busy hacking the North Korean hacking unit (or something), and it was definitely the norks wot dun it.

It's certainly more plausible than "we can tell from the IPs and having seen some hacks in our time".

5. Mark 85

Finally.... the case for secuirty that the C-suite will understand....

If your data gets shredded, your people have to go back to paper and pencil. This will delay your financial reports... AND your bonus.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

12 months free identity protection service?

They should offer their employees a decade, if not a lifetime's worth. Do they think hackers will not try to exploit their personal information after 2015 is over? This is Sony's fault for having poor security, regardless of whether it was North Korea or an inside job, and they should do better for their employees who were the unwilling victims here.

1. John Tserkezis

Re: 12 months free identity protection service?

The article wasn't clear on who was suppling the identity protection, but if it's Sony, it'll be worth exactly what they pay for it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like