back to article Brightstar deal means Post Office mobile network could be a thing

The Post Office is ramping up its plans to become a virtual mobile phone network, with hardware distributor Brightstar being appointed to handle logistics for SIMs and phones. The deal between the Post Office and EE to provide an MVNO, a virtual network with the Post Office brand, was revealed in 2012 when a Request for …

1. Pete 2 Silver badge

Stamp it out

> The Post Office is ramping up its plans to become a virtual mobile phone network

So it'll take 3 days for them to connect your call (or 2 weeks at christmas) - which might go to someone else if they can't reach the person you wanted to speak to. And then, if they fail to connect your incoming calls, you'll get a TXT saying you have to go to the Sorting Office to collect your voicemail?

1. Lamont Cranston

Re: Stamp it out

And what's the deal with airline food, eh?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Sorting Office = Royal Mail. First Class mail = Royal Mail.

Post Office = joint that does your driving licence/passport/DVLA paperwork/travel money/PayPoint.

Post Office != Royal Mail.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Happy

Post Office = Place where envelopes cost 10x <insert shop name> envelopes, reduced staff at peak times, full of stuff no-one uses & the place to go when your internet and / or printer are not working.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Post Office Telecom, for your landlines and your mobiles

Can't remember where I heard the name, or what became of them.

Clues welcome.

Oh, here we are

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post_Office_Telecommunications

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

Re: Post Office Telecom, for your landlines and your mobiles

Maybe they should rename the Post office to say some less specific to avoid confusion, say the General Post Office, then maybe with a specific section for phones, a good patriotic name, say British Telecom.

I know it's a bit of a long winded, so just rebrand it to BT and maybe get the public onside by selling a few shares.

Now they could set up their own networks of mobile cells, maybe call it CellNet, or just give on that idea, and just buy out an existing carrier, say EE?

1. fruitoftheloon
        Thumb Up

@Lost all faith:Re: Post Office Telecom, for your landlines and your mobiles

LaF,

nah, that'll never fly...

J

3. Otto is a bear.

All I wanted was a Stamp

Who would have thought in the early part of the 21st Century that a visit to you local post office could be such an adventure.

"Good morning sir, can I interest you in life insurance"

"No thanks, just redirect my mail, and a dozen 1st class stamps"

"We are offering great interest rates on our current accounts"

"Have you considered the benefits of an ISA"

"I'm sorry sir, but we don't sell postage stamps unless you take out postal insurance"

Exit stage left pursued by bear.

(I did get to redirect my mail though)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Full circle

EE, isn't that soon to be BT? As in GPO? As in Post Office?

What a strange world we live in.

5. All names Taken
    Paris Hilton

Why stop there?

Why should we depend on landlines anyway?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

power company SSE had failed to launch

"Last year it was revealed that power company SSE had failed to launch its MVNO and lost £25m in the process"

That'd be the same SSE Telecom that was forever just about to embark on a full commercial rollout of their now-defunct powerline access broadband, would it? And which ultimately failed to launch it...

Pre-collapse coverage: http://www.ispreview.co.uk/articles/power/

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like