back to article Want to win Microsoft's cloudy love? Just spend $500

Channel partners that want to cosy up to Microsoft at this year’s Worldwide Partner Conference have got the option to be an extra special pet – cough $500 and they could be within spitting distance of the event… literally. The cloud-and-mobile-first fest is happening in Orlando from 12 to 16 July and costs $1,795 per pass, but …

1. adnim
    Unhappy

Whilst

there are entities such as medium to large businesses that are tied to Microsoft systems. Such fees will always be met.

If the CTO's of those companies had a crystal ball in the late 80's early 90's.... Microsoft would be paying professionals to attend.

Sadly now choice is moot point. Any escape or alternative to the clutches of MS, although cheaper in the long run software wise GPL, FOSS and easier to maintain and support via adherence to Industry and RFC standard compliance (hardware requirements are likely to remain)... Requires a massive investment in training and re-training of current staff. Many businesses have share holders that "need" luxury yachts and super cars so this is unlikely ever to happen.

As a person of what some would see as dubious philosophy and ideals... I don't want to be materially rich, if someone less fortunate than me needs, I give. If they are more fortunate I take. I look upon Microsoft (I am technically able and have a staff of one) as a hindrance rather than a benefit to my business.

My point? Well I thought I had one when I started this. I guess I just dislike the hold MS have over it's user base and wished to voice my discontent. I have a Windows box to play games on when I need to escape from the wonderful, loving, altruistic society in which I find myself. It's my toy, it's easy to use, never crashes and I love it. My business runs on Linux. Yours can too, if a cost/benefit analysis fails to impress then I guess one is either greedy or ones eggs are truly in one basket.

I had no crystal ball. I didn't see what MS would become and how it would dominate in such an unsavoury way the desktop and small/med business IT system market whilst I was playing Horace goes skiing.

Some say history repeats, maybe there is a lesson to be learned here?

2. Little Mouse
    Devil

<sigh>

Why couldn't Samuel L Jackson have got into IT instead of acting? Could have saved me a world of pain if he'd attended a few of the early meetings with our so-called self-styled "Technical Architects".

"Say 'Safe Harbour' again! I dare ya. I DOUBLE dare Ya!"

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Re: <sigh>

Americans. *sigh* Privacy is such an inconvenience, eh?

If the cloud provider has a US attack surface great than "none", it's not a cloud provider that anyone should consider using. Oh, what's that? Microsoft is trying very hard to kill it's own channel, even as it asks them to pay over $1700 just to get in the doors of their own conference? Yep! You don't own the customer relationship anymore, MSPs! You're just sales people with really shitty commission rates peddling Microsoft's cloud software and shouldering all the risk while receiving no benefits, no loyalty and no long term prospects of survival!

Amazing!

Cloud first, Mobile fist. Customers, Partners, Developers, Staff and - most especially - privacy last.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like