back to article PwC: Forget margin, tech biz, HUSTLE for that SALE

The phrase "turnover is vanity, profit is sanity" apparently does not apply to the tech sector, with PwC advising companies this year to focus on revenue growth above margins and "yield maximum shareholder value". According to the report 2015 Technology Industry Trends this is particularly important in a "volatile market", …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Number6

Short Term, Get Rich Quick.

I was thinking along exactly the same lines. Very short term, screw everyone to get the share price up as high as possible and sell out quick.

I believe the US treats stock dividends unfavourably when it comes to tax, which is a shame. Pension funds and others looking for a long-term stable investment are generally happy to sit on the shares and use the dividends as a revenue stream that is likely to be fairly stable into the long term - that's certainly how it worked in the UK for many years.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Some tech businesses are forced to do this anyway

When your competitors are pretty much giving solutions away now, and hoping to make money later, you don't have an awful lot of room to manoeuvre.

3. Dan Paul

Blackmailing manufacturers

Militant shareholders like Carl Icahn and their ilk need to be burnt alive at the stake then nuked from orbit. If there's anything left, piss on it.

Real companies should ignore these leeches and continue to do what made them successful in the first place. The mere act of listening to these Wallstreet scum pollutes what's left of your brain.

"Yield maximum shareholder value", my left ball. Keep on jiggling my danglies, you'll get a surprise.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ummmm

hasnt Microsoft just been hammered for this, diversifying revenue streams and moving to a different, but lower margin model

5. hoola Silver badge

PwC

These accounting/consultancy outfits are the root cause of so much that is wrong with the corporate scene at the moment.

They exist soley to make as much profit for themselves and the parasitic execs of the companies at the expense of everyone else. All the tax avoidance and other creative schemes can be traced back directly to this type of scum. Everything is about the a quick profit. All these venture capital companies that buy a viable business that needs some help, strip all the assets out, load it with debt and then it goes bust are laughing all the way to the bank.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon