back to article Spinning rust into gold: WD profit grows ... though sales dip

Western Digital sold 61 million drives in its latest quarter, 2.1 million less than a year ago, but made $30m more profit, and it out-shipped and out-earned rival Seagate – CEO Steve Milligan's men must have ear-to-ear grins on their faces. The company’s revenues, including its WD and HGST operations, for Q2 in its fiscal 2015 …

1. RaidOne

It must be new laptops that are coming with HDDs

I did not buy an HDD in 3 years, i still have 2 TB drives since before the Thailand flood. But I bought 1 SSD per year since (32, 128, 256, 512 GB), at an average price higher than a HDD.

It would be interesting to know when the SSD business will be on par with the HDD one.

2. Captain Scarlet

NAS effect

I wonder if people are still getting NAS's, must admit recently brought one over Christmas so slapped in some WD Reds so obviously would have brought more HD's than I would have for a normal machine.

1. Aitor 1

Re: NAS effect

I guess they are selling drives to the likes of backblaze, etc.

Me, I used to buy a new drive for my personal computers at least every two years, for each of them, and beofre that, every year.

Not anymore.. I buy spinning rust for capacity, not performance.. and capacity has stagnated.

Now I buy SSDs.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like