back to article Apple CEO: Fandroids are BINNING Android in favour of IPHONES

Apple is wolfing down KitKats and Lollipops for lunch after it emerged that most iPhone 6 users have come from Android. iBling salesman Tim Cook told the Wall Street Journal that only 15 per cent of iPhone 6 customers have upgraded from other iPhones. It’s the first time he’s given a number for this trend, and although he’s …

Page:

1. Richy Freeway

Where's the evidence they're coming from Android? Perhaps they're coming from old feature phones or even completely new to mobile phone ownership.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

The circumstantial evidence is Samsung's bottom line.

More robust evidence would come from the network operator.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I assume he has facts to back it up - you can't go just lying to investors.

1. sisk

you can't go just lying to investors

Clearly you haven't been paying attention.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"you can't go just lying to investors

Clearly you haven't been paying attention."

Whoosh!

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Its never stopped them in Keynotes, so why should it bother them with investor calls?

3. P. Lee

>I assume he has facts to back it up - you can't go just lying to investors.

People who have bought a very expensive phone, had a cheaper one earlier.

I care not one whit. I'll buy the phone that's right for me. Since I prize the ability to get at and use data on a phone as I please, that would be Android. My wife wants to press a button to play words-with-friends and has a mac & ipad from work - an iphone is a no-brainer.

I find it weird that people seem to love the fact that their phone company has managed to take so much money off them. Getting people to think like that about a product you can buy on any street corner... now that's innovation.

2. Badvok

"Where's the evidence they're coming from Android?"

There isn't any, Apple's market share hasn't increased, it has fallen.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

>"Where's the evidence they're coming from Android?"

>>There isn't any, Apple's market share hasn't increased, it has fallen.

If the entire pie is growing, it is possible for a slice to become absolutely bigger whilst shrinking as a percentage of the total.

In addition, if the pie is sliced into more slice, it is possible for one slice to grow against another with again shrinking as a percentage of the total total.

I'm not saying that this is what has happened, I'm just helping you with your logic.

2. Sr. Handle

First stage negation...

It is really that important that is the bigest plataform or not, I mean I really like my phone and I don't give a crap if they have 5% or 50% of the market, the numbers don't like the iPhone sell a los this year, but perhaps next is not so good, so growup and stop crying for things that aré meaningless.

3. gnasher729 Silver badge

You are wrong. Apple's market share in the phone market has been growing all the time since 2007. And Apple's market share in the smart phone market has grown as well.

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Are you saying ...

Are you saying such metrics as unit shipments and sell-through and handset market share are more important than revenue or profits? Are you saying those things inevitably lead to dominance in revenue or profits?

A Grateful Coward

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I'd imagine they do surveys or get data from the mobile networks.

4. Preston Munchensonton

Given the availability of iPhone 6/6+ in China, I would spectulate that most of the unusual growth in sales comes from users in China who have either never owned a mobile phone or view this as a luxury item, much like some nouveau middle class trying to impress their new station in life on those around them.

1. jonathanb Silver badge

In that scenario, they are not moving from Android. Though it could the case that they are moving from Chinese landfill Android to iPhone.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

1bn android activations

In 2014..

That's a real number, not a made up apple one

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Riku

Re: 1bn android activations

Is that just phones or does it include all sorts of things like chromecasts and fancy thermostats?

6. gnasher729 Silver badge

You are obviously right. Nobody would upgrade from a $400 smartphone to an iPhone 6. Only people with $20 feature phones, or people who never owned a mobile phone in their life, would be starting with an iPhone 6. Totally common sense.

You believe what you want. I look at the numbers. And maybe, just maybe, Apple has asked a few of its customers and that's how they know.

7. Randy Hudson

In my case, I had an iPhone 5S with AT&T, but bought the contract-free T-Mobile phone to replace it (to keep my $25/mo. BYOD discount). I'm pretty sure my purchase was tallied under the wrong column

8. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Where's the evidence they're coming from Android?

I got the impression from reading (perhaps too far?) between the lines is that this generation of iPhones has had a larger proportion of converts from Android. In isolation this might not be very useful knowledge.

However – and this is pure speculation – it's also conceivable that a measurable number of people who wanted a large screen smartphone gave up waiting for Apple and went with one running Android by default, because it was the only option.

2. Amorous Cowherder

Figures for migrations the other way, in the interest of a balance? Oh, sorry that would be sane and sensible to ponder the figures overall.

I thought about upgrading my 3 year old SGS2 to an iPhone, pondered and in the end bought a second hand SGS3 off eBay! Sorry Cookie old son, your latest mega-multi-core monster device is just a bit overkill for me at the mo.

1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

Sorry Cookie old son, your latest mega-multi-core monster device is just a bit overkill for me at the mo.

I think the top-of-the-range mega-multi-core monsters are overkill for almost everyone.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Strange that...

Fruity Phones tend to have fewer cores than say Samsung devices.

There have been many Adverts for Android devices that extolled the 'more CPU Cores' than Apple devices.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Strange that...

Yeah what is the issue with more and more cores. To me it sounds a bit like they need the cores to get the similar performance rather than doing it by better programming / efficiency - like a V8 6 litre muscle car throwing horses at it - great in a straight line but lousy handling compared to a Ferrari that fine tune and design performance into the whole car.

Bit the same with battery life - Apple look for efficiencies and Samsung have to fit a larger battery! ;-)

1. Paul Shirley

"Bit the same with battery life - Apple look for efficiencies and Samsung have to fit a larger battery! ;-)"

...and others fit 8 core BIG-little CPUs to improve power consumption without harming performance. Sometime more of the right sort of core really is the answer ;)

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Bit the same with battery life - Apple look for efficiencies and Samsung have to fit a larger battery"

my iPhone lasts about a day at a push, without too much usage

My galaxy lasts three days at the same rate

go figure on the "efficiencies" I turned off all the games, gps etc to get a day out of it since the last IOS upgrade, before that it lasted 3 days with wifi and location services on

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

So basically it came down to money not intent - you wanted the iPhone but the SGS3 was clearly a lot less expensive. If it were not money and you really wanted Android you would have bought a newer / premium Android handset. So to lead on from that if money was not the issue then you would have bought the iPhone = the phone you really wanted.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

is that how you justify to yourself being suckered into paying over the odds for an iphone?

Samsung sales are down because they make better phones which are good enough for longer. Not so good for Samsung's balance sheet but better for the end users.

1. Gordon 10

hahahaaha.

@AC I think fandroid_galaxy_fan29 is still available as a nick.

Got any facts to back up that wild supposition? Its far more likely that as the biggest volume seller of Premium Android Samsungs lunch is getting eaten by mid tier androids that are almost as good. Which co-incidentally explains why nearly all the current Flagship android makers are suffering.

1. sisk

Got any facts to back up that wild supposition?

Dunno if AC does, but I can back it up with anecdotal observations. My Galaxy S2 has outlasted every iPhone anyone I know bought around the same time, and that's with mine being second hand and theirs being new. A couple of them have had to replace their iPhones twice in the time I've had this thing, and I probably won't be replacing mine for at least a couple more years.

Besides, a little logical thought can prove it even without cases to site. The most likely part of any mobile device to fail is, by far, the battery. Sooner or later it's going to stop holding a charge, usually much sooner than the rest of the components stop working. Given that one fact a replaceable battery alone almost ensures than a Samsung (and almost any other Android device) will have a longer life expectancy than an iPhone.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

My Galaxy S2 has outlasted every iPhone anyone I know bought around the same time

That's partly depending on how you treat kit. The 3GS I once bought needed a new screen at last as my son had been using it, but that was it. It's now given to Grandma who couldn't get on with Android and just wants to make calls (for which no update is needed), my 4s (still working fine) is now used by my son, and is all up to date, and I just bought a 6 because I want to experiment with the newer features. That's 3 iPhones since 2009 (so 5 years or better), the first one of that chain is STILL not landfill (and no, it still has the original battery as well).

I would, however, be the first to agree with anyone who calls iPhones stupidly expensive because they are. For me they're a business cost, but it's a lot of dough if you have to buy them personally (unless you have it paid through a contract, which is basically a loan).

I have tried Android, but I didn't get on with it, exacerbated by having to agree to Google's onerous T&Cs before it became useful. I actually read terms but it's their way or the highway - at least they got a false name off me..

Personally, I fear most for the 4s. There is a strong compatibility problem between my teenager and any hardware of note :)

2. VinceH

Sisk said in reply to Gordon 10 "Dunno if AC does, but I can back it up with anecdotal observations. My Galaxy S2 has outlasted every iPhone anyone I know bought around the same time, and that's with mine being second hand and theirs being new. A couple of them have had to replace their iPhones twice in the time I've had this thing, and I probably won't be replacing mine for at least a couple more years."

Quite. As I said yesterday, my S3 is now long out of contract and I'm not upgrading because I don't need to. The phone does everything I want of it, so I may as well keep using it and only bother with an upgrade if and when it becomes necessary.

And that is indeed an example of a Samsung phone being kept because it's good enough, as is your comment.

2. JEDIDIAH
            Mushroom

I'll add a fact (or 3)

We haven't upgraded our phones in awhile. We really see no need. What exact characteristic of ANY phone including the new iPhones is exactly supposed to be worth the bother (never mind the money)?

It also doesn't help that the S6 is trying too hard to look like an Apple product (no removable battery or SD card).

2. JustNiz

You seem to be one of those rabid Apple fanbois that somehow thinks it should be self-evident to everyone that Apple automatically translates to "better". Your "IPhone = the phone you really wanted" comment has zero foundation in anything he actually wrote. He could equally have chosen the GS3 because he felt it is a functionally better phone than iPhone (which having used both actually agrees with my own experience too).

After my own experience with an iPhone it seems very clear to me that Apple products are mostly just sold to gullible people that can't tell marketing bullshit/image from actually useful features. Personally given a choice between a free iPhone and buying an Android phone, I'd still take the Android.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

After my own experience with an iPhone it seems very clear to me that Apple products are mostly just sold to gullible people that can't tell marketing bullshit/image from actually useful features.

I find it fascinating how people seem to translate their own experiences and wants into an absolute requirement for everyone else and denigrate anyone who doesn't agree. The last time I saw that attitude in real life was on a school's playground when picking up my kids.

I have to use *all* platforms as a consequence of the work I do. It means I don't have to stick with a platform because of investment (because all are kitted out the same where possible), and it means my choice is not dictated by cost because all of them are paid by the company (thankfully, because iPhones are IMHO stupidly expensive). Yet, still, I prefer iOS as a platform. That is my personal choice, I have no need to fit in with some wannabee fashion crowd (which would be hard anyway with my sense of fashion, but that's my wife speaking), and I have no need to label other people for having different preferences.

I don't berate people for choosing to wear different clothes to me or drinking a different type of beer either, and in my mind the choice of phone platform has roughly the same impact on what I think of someone. I'm happy to explain the logic behind my decision, I'm always interested to hear the logic behind yours, but vive la différence. If we all chose the same things would get boring.

Personally, I get rather tired of all these pissing contests. I'm very happy that there is competition, I make my choice by parameters that are mine and don't need to agree with yours, and if you choose differently, fine. As far as I can tell that doesn't immediately turn you into someone I don't want to deal with (unless, of course, you have that sort of vacuous attitude to anyone who doesn't make the same choices as you).

1. JEDIDIAH
            Devil

The Pot goes on a rampage.

> I find it fascinating how people seem to translate their own experiences and wants into an absolute requirement for everyone else and denigrate anyone who doesn't agree.

That's rich coming from the fanboy camp.

The OP's remark were a nice solid explanation for why a considerable bulk of the market might be inclined to avoid Apple products. Phone salesmen will even bring these issues up if they see you contemplating a switch back to Apple.

3. 6th_Hokage

he/she could have just read user reviews of both devices and saw the batter choice was the S3, sure the iPhone 6/+ looks okay on paper but the S3 is still a better product and still being sold for $300 new...Now if you mess with root and kernel settings and the S3 can go up against the S5 no problem :P

3. Monti

Good news / Bad news

This is a perfect example of putting a spin on something that could be taken up in completely different ways.

You could also take that same figure and say that this is bad news for Apple because it means that users of older iPhones are hanging on to their devices and that they just do not see the need to upgrade to the latest version of the iPhone.

1. ciaran

Re: Good news / Bad news

I read it as even worse - current users of iPhones are staying away in droves.

Or perhaps the group "users of smartphones" can be broken down into "15% iPhone, 85% android", of which they all have an equal propensity to refresh their hardware and have no brand loyalty?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Agreed. iPhone 5 users happy to stay with their current product. Good enough etc.

1. Planty Bronze badge

Apple users are FORCED to stay with apple. The one thing Jobs got right was early lock in.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It shows Apple are growing the user base and keeping existing users. They make great phones that people often keep beyond the base 2 year contract - but when you look at the stats those users will very likely buy the new iPhone handset. It also proves false the notion that all the sales are fanbois uprading at every new iteration.

1. Preston Munchensonton

"It shows Apple are growing the user base and keeping existing users."

I reckon that you meant to say that the Carriers are forcing users to keep their phones based on contract length. I don't think a 15% return rate suggests that Apple is doing much of anything to keep existing users, though none of us really know since so little information is available from the carriers about brand/model usage.

4. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

Where Apple is still not playing is in the low end market, with nothing to challenge the Landfill Androids, [...] and Cook said nothing about attempts to take a bite out of that territory.

Apple have never competed in the low end. They only do high end, high margin.

1. Stuart 22

Blinded by Retina

"Apple have never competed in the low end. They only do high end, high margin"

Absolutely correct. No one would argue about high end prices and margins. And to be frank I have never heard anyone doubt the quality of its cameras.

But in basic web browsing on responsive websites the iPhone significantly under-competes with landfill Androids. I had to borrow one to prove what I was hearing was true. The Retina resolution claims are a bit of a con. Apple's double pixelling halves the effective resolution presented to the browser (and it doesn't matter which one). So in landscape its under 600 pixels on the iPhone4/5/6 and responsive sites wrap and drop 'unimportant' data. Whereas a cheap Android shows it in all its glory.

The iPhone people I spoke to were unaware of what they were missing and that for a lot less they could get a lot more - well when it comes to web browsing.

Oh and every iPhone 6+ owner I know was replacing a 5S. Perhaps I should get out more.

1. returnmyjedi

Re: Blinded by Retina

"But in basic web browsing on responsive websites the iPhone significantly under-competes with landfill Androids."

I find that's more of an issue with Safari; Chrome on iOS tends to load pages properly.

1. sabroni Silver badge
          Headmaster

Re: significantly under-competes

"under performs compared to" surely? What does "under-compete" mean? Doesn't try hard enough?

2. Dana W

Apple's low end is always last year's phone.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Only 15 per cent of iPhone 6 customers have upgraded from other iPhones."

If true, Cook should be concerned not jubilant. Parts of Apple's (and everyone else's) game is to push how desirable their new shineys are compared to the older now less shiney things that were themselves once the greatest shineys compared to the previous... and so on.

So the message isn't getting through that well if only 15% of iPhone 6 upgrades are from previous Apple products. That implies to me that although someone may well ditch an Android phone for an Apple phone, they can only do that once and maybe they'll never upgrade again. 15% says that's far more likely than I expected.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like