back to article Sorry, admins: Microsoft says NO new Windows Server until 2016

While it's looking like the final version of Windows 10 for client PCs could ship before the end of the year, it seems data center admins needn't hold their breaths. Microsoft confirmed on Friday that the next version of Windows Server won't arrive until 2016. "As we continue to advance the development of these products, we …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm glad

First time in a while a Microsoft announcement has pleased me.

1. Bob Vistakin
      Facepalm

Windows? As a *server*???

People actually do this? Blimey.

1. localzuk Silver badge

Re: Windows? As a *server*???

Really? In 2015, you are shocked that Windows Server is popular? When you run a Windows network, the most efficient way of managing them is via, shock horror, a Windows Server.

2. W. Anderson

more FOSS adoption by Microsoft

What is so incredulous about the mindset of most Microsoft dupes is that they forever denigrate Linux, BSD, Darwin based Apple OS X and all other Free/Open Source Software (FOSS) technology with incoherent drivel criticisms, yet Microsoft marches on with recently announced support for another FOSS application - in Docker Containerization, to add to Hadoop and other Apache Big Date tools, FreeBSD Networking Stack, Akamai Linux for Windows desktop upgrades and several other world beating FOSS technologies, without which Microsoft would probably have to close shop in this modern Cloud and Mobile technology age.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: more FOSS adoption by Microsoft

Aye, the laughable year of Linux on the desktop will strangely be surpassed by Linux in the DataCentre. Oh that was a few years ago. Ok, how about Linux on the Windows hypervisor - naa why bother? We've already got several native ones and VMware. And we have the *BSDs for those jobs where the rest fall apart, and the drivers work 8)

I note that Win server's Core mode is not very well represented but it is the way you really should be doing it if you want to stay with Windows between your hardware and your apps. Real DC servers don't have GUIs and unfortunately PowerShell skills just are not that ingrained yet.

1. HmmmYes

Don't be so down on Linux(Unix) Desktop.

I'm prefering to use XFCE more and more for my day to day tasks.

If various apps could be persuaded to port over to QT I'd be very happy.

2. HmmmYes

I sortof liked WIndow Server 2008R2.

Powershell drives me nuts.

Its like the java of cmdshells.

Loads of differet versions; ever changing libraries.

Powershell is too much, too late.

I've either moved away from Windows for some server work, or found a work-around.

2. h4rm0ny

>>"What is so incredulous about the mindset of most Microsoft dupes is that they forever denigrate Linux, BSD, Darwin based Apple OS X and all other Free/Open Source Software (FOSS) technology with incoherent drivel criticisms"

Assuming by "Microsoft dupes" you mean posters who defend MS products against criticism on these forums (as I often find myself doing, dogged being another and so on...), I actually don't recall any of us making "incoherent drivel criticisms" of OSS. On the contrary, I think most of us respect it. Want to back that up because to me that just sounds like manufacturing enemies.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Amazing

that it takes so much resources to bring back features removed in 8 that no one is left to work on the server side

4. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Not a problem

I can't possibly imagine a reason to dump Linux and BSD for any Microsoft server platform.

Not even systemd.

5. Christian Berger

In a way, Docker support on Windows is a piece of art

I mean there is a certain crowd of people who don't understand how to do simple and elegant solutions. They will write software using SQL databases to store their settings in, they will require lots and lots of libraries and frameworks, and when one little subversion changes, the whole thing will break apart. That's exactly how Windows software was designed back in the 1990s when I still was doing development for that platform.

Now that mindset of developers has moved on to people using unixoid systems. However they grew up with chroot, virtualisation and the ability to just copy your operating system to a subdirectory. Logically they came up with ways to just package your crap into little containers which are easy to deploy.

And in that way, Docker on Windows kinda closes the circle.

6. Slabfondler
    Big Brother

Docker reminds me of...

.nlm

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like