back to article Google’s privacy policy: Italians probing a little deeper

Google is to be subject to regular on-site spot checks by the Italian data protection regulator under moves to ensure the Chocolate Factory complies with the country's privacy laws. "For the first time in Europe, it will be the subject of regular checks to monitor progress status of the actions to bring its platform into line …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's good to see that Europe and its member countries at least keep trying to draw a line with regards to privacy. Google might easily get away with just about anything in the US (being a major financial contributor and putting in massive lobbying efforts), but Europe doesn't seem to bend over quite as easily. I'm not sure the EU are fully aware of how tedious and never-ending this will be, but let's hope they keep poking.

2. solo

Google is not my concern

Its innovation in market practices (instead of technologies) are. Once it adopts a trend and if regulators start monitoring it, it becomes legalized (for the time being at least). So, now if any new firm, irrespective of size and visibility, says that it can track whatever it wants given there is a tiny link on its site, it can get away with it in courts.

I'd have, in my dreams, welcomed some umbrella laws that restrict snooping for commercial purposes.

3. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

One rule for the rich and powerful...

Google will have to be fully compliant with the measures by 15 January 2016

So Google are given a year to become legal? I bet if my car had a broken light I wouldn't be given a year by the plod to fix it.

1. David 164

Re: One rule for the rich and powerful...

That generally how data protection laws are enforce, it far more cooperative than confrontational than just about any other area of law at the minute, which why the act tough act from EU have been grinded down to what the whole are minor changes and no where near the original EU demand of a complete role back to the previous privacy policies.

4. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

Microsoft et al

..and improvements to its data storage and deletion mechanisms.

I hope they're going to be paying a visit to Microsoft real soon now. www.theregister.co.uk/2015/02/22/microsoft_to_store_deleted_exchange_online_mails_forever/

1. Daggerchild Silver badge

Re: Microsoft et al

When they say "improvements" I get a sudden painful twinge in my transaction log LTO tape archives...

5. Daggerchild Silver badge

Are you talking to me?

"to carry out on-the-spot checks at Google's US headquarters to verify whether the measures being implemented are in compliance with Italian law."

Odd thing to do for a virtual construct... Intriguing set of potential explanations.

How *do* you get a horse's head through US customs anyway?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like