back to article End in sight for Google, Apple, Intel and Adobe wage-fixing lawsuit

An end to the four-year legal battle against Google, Apple, Intel and Adobe for alleged wage-fixing is in sight, with a judge having set a final hearing date for the proposed $415m (£270m) settlement. Last month Google, Apple, Intel and Adobe offered to pay out $415m to make the case go away. The companies made the new offer …

1. auburnman

Is Lucy Koh the only Judge in the whole of California or something? She seems to handle every single lawsuit we hear about.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Given these cases tend to last for years and every motion seems to warrant a news release the phrase "every single lawsuit" may be be put as "all three lawsuits" or perhaps the other judges don't do IT.

2. Tom 38

Some justice

The defendants offer bribes to plaintiffs counsel, the judge accepts it and that is justice? Why on earth should the plaintiffs settle, when the facts are clear and evidence is totally in their favour?

Oh that's right, there are no actual plaintiffs, this is a class action, so 1/3rd to the lawyers, 1/3rd to a distribution fund managed by the lawyers, 1/3rd donated to "charities" run by the lawyers/defendants.

Why let the boring things like a trial, allocation of guilt and assessment of damages gets in the way of the gravy.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Some justice

It's the only way to get "justice" or at least an admission of guilt

If it was down to the government to uncover these cases and prosecute they would simply go away in the face of a few $1000 of campaign contribution or a word with the local politico about how many jobs would be at risk if they had to move out of his area.

Even if the government did prosecute the result would be a fine which would go into the government's pocket and be taken out again in the next tax return.

By offering lawyers $shitloads to go after these cases it is the only way they ever come to light.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How about others?

This agreement helped cut IT wages all over the world. I figure this little scam has cost me about $150k so far.

1. smartypants

Re: How about others?

The main influence on IT wages in my neck of the woods is 'outsourcing', which is totally legal (and frankly I don't see how it ought not to be).

My advice is to not get too precious about 'my' money these evil others are diverting elsewhere. Otherwise you run the risk of enjoying your One Life on bitterness towards others when there are better things to do with it!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like