back to article HP battles back against white-box with Foxconn-built Cloudline servers

HP has made its bid for relevance in the modern data center with a new line of servers aimed at "rack scale" and "cloud scale" deployments. The HP Cloudline servers, unveiled at the Open Compute Project Summit in San Jose, California this week, are the fruit of a collaboration between HP and Chinese manufacturing giant Foxconn …

1. Nate Amsden

wonder if there are order minimums

Not that I am the target of these kinds of systems but I remember Dell DCS at one point I read that they had a policy they wouldn't engage unless it was at least 1,000 systems or something (not sure if that is accurate or not).

(Oh sorry I re-read the article and it says they are only available in volume so I guess what volume)

Wonder what sort of quality corners have been cut...myself I won't touch supermicro or the likes with a 50 foot pole for anything even remotely serious for business use. Been burned too many times. Happy to pay more to get the HP quality and features in Proliant.

I don't buy the statement on tier 1 quality for sure. I won't touch Proliant 100-series servers either. So unless these are magically DL300 series or better quality they won't be tier 1 (for x86 anyway) in my mind.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: wonder if there are order minimums

Depends what your business use is

If you have a single server that your business relies on then you get top of the line redundant power supplies, ECC ram, raid etc

If you are running a web server farm where nobody except the load balancer notices a failed machine out of the 1000s then why bother with 9-9s uptime?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

SUMMARY:

1. Buy Foxconn gear. 2. Put HP logo on box. 3. Sell.

1. admiraljkb

@AC - That is already what HP does. This is just for a lower tier.

I worked for a company at one point that oem'd HP servers, which is how I found that out, since first article inspections were at Foxconn plants.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like