back to article Pre-split HP flops out plan to keep its sales pecker up

HP will parachute funded staff into its largest global channel customers to minimise disruption and ensure it maintains market share as the business is carved into two. Print and PC operations will be hived off to create HP Inc and the remainder of the company, including the new Aruba buy, will form Hewlett Packard Enterprise …

1. Erik4872

Interesting strategy

I wonder what's going to happen when the tablet market cools down to pre-hype levels. Sure, desktop PCs aren't going to go much further than they are now, but I can't imagine people not wanting the convenience of a laptop with all your files on it, that doesn't have to be online all the time, and lets you do document editing. And as for a desktop, well, I have my laptop plugged into a keyboard, mouse and 27" monitor through a docking station.

I think focusing on high-end business grade laptops and workstations is the way to go. Assuming Microsoft doesn't re-tabletify Windows 10 before release, people are going to be buying machines again sometime.

1. redneck

Re: Interesting strategy

You forget that HP has two PC arms: there's the commodity PCs sold to consumers: HP Pavilion and the like. And then there's the business class PCs, which include the Z class workstations, the EliteDesk systems and some other lower grade systems, sold to corporations. As far as I know, the latter is staying with HPE. So, if desktop systems ever rise again, HPE will be there to provide you with what you want.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like