back to article Microsoft hints at faster release cadence for Windows 10 previews

After admitting that it hasn't been seeding new builds of Windows 10 as often as many testers had hoped, Microsoft is gearing up to increase its release cadence. Redmond man Gabe Aul tweeted on Thursday that the software giant will have new builds of Windows 10 available soon, and even went as far as to suggest that risk- …

1. Herby

Soon??

Microsoft has many definitions for this word. A recent example was how soon the replacement for Windows XP was to arrive on the scene.

Then again the word "better" has definitions as well. Like Vista was to be better than XP, and Windows 8 was better than Windows 7. Time will tell if Windows 10 is better than Windows 9 8.1

2. Captain DaFt

Does anyone there even know who is doing what?

Just three days ago they were saying we'd get it when it's good and ready, no matter how long it takes:

http://m.theregister.co.uk/2015/03/10/windows_10_preview_release_timing/

And now they're claiming a faster release schedule?

Yo, MS Mouth pieces, try to compare notes and get your stories straight. People are starting to suspect something's up!

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: Does anyone there even know who is doing what?

Seems to me in order to get releases out to the public they've made the slowest internal release channel external and warned that if you don't fancy hosing your installation on a regular basis then you'd better move to a slower channel.

So it looks like more things are happening but it's still really the same.

3. cheshS80
    Unhappy

Better ??

Boy does Microsoft needs to significantly up its game before Windows 10 is fully released, but all the signs are the features are mostly set in stone, aside from a handful of adjustments. like more flat icons and monochrome screens to save battery on tablets

Ultimately, Windows 10 feels like an apology for Windows 8, When the best you can say about a new operating system is that it isn’t as bad as its predecessor

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Re: Better ??

"all the signs are the features are mostly set in stone"

That would be nice. For about two decades I've been wanting Microsoft to actually fix the bugs in the feature set they've got before they start re-imagineering the universe. If Win10 really is an attempt to get everyone from Win7 onwards onto a level playing field then it will have some value even if isn't the playing field I'd have chosen.

4. keithpeter Silver badge
    Linux

Incremental or fresh install

I use a stable and well maintained Windows 7 client/Windows Server 2008 based system at work. It works and someone else has to keep it working (which they do). At home, I use Debian Sid on this laptop and Wheezy on the authoring box that Just Has To Work. They work. I update Sid twice a week with around 100Mb of updates (less at present because of the Jessie freeze). I update Wheezy once a month or so.

Are these Windows 10 releases incremental so each update changes only a small percentage of the files on your hard drive? Or are they effectively fresh installs of the entire system?

If latter, it would be sensible I think to have monthly releases so there is actually some *time* spent on each state of the platform to report bugs.

If former (i.e. like Sid or a rolling release like Arch or OpenBSD -current branch) bring it on and pop it out twice a day if you need to. I presume the bug reporting system has full information on the state of the system at the point where the bug is being reported.

5. JJKing

Windows 10 looks exactly like WIndows 8.1 with the ClassicShell app installed on it.

Windows 10 is to Windows 8.0 as Windows 7 was to Vista. Well that's my opinion but then I thought Vista ran real good in a VM but crap on hardware.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like