back to article Huawei and DataCore spawn a beautiful hyper-converged system

A hyper-converged server and storage system is coming as the offspring of a Huawei-DataCore deal giving channel partners of both an answer to Nutanix, SimpliVity, and EVO:RAIL-type offerings. Basically it’s Huawei FusionServer servers running DataCore SANsymphony-V software with Huawei Oceanstor direct-attached storage made …

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

If you call Datacore hyperconverged we have a different definition of hyperconvergence. Datacore is a storage gateway. You can try to moosh it together into something sort of hyperconverged, but the end result is a frankenwhatsit lacking a lot of the important benefits of hyperconvergence and not really delivering any of the benefits of a storage gateway.

I like Datacore, but this just seems weird to me.

1. GrumpyOF

I agree that this combo is not really hyper-convergence but I am sure that this is more about Huawei than DataCore. At the moment Huawei does not appear to have a viable go-to-market model for Converged Infrastructure (note not hyper-converged), and using DataCore certainly addresses some of the major storage issues they face. It adds a different dimension in that theDataCore software opens up a whole slew of opportunities for storage convergence, especially for legacy arrays (I hate that expression).

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

I'm not saying storage gateways aren't cool, but they aren't hyperconvergence. They're storage gateways.

And yes, arrays are legacy.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like