back to article Pure CEO dons cheerleader outfit, harangues world, dog

Comment Pure’s chief evangelist officer executive officer, Scott Dietzen, has blown Pure’s trumpet about its 2014 business. It’s a mighty blast: he has big lungs and he’s cheerleading his now 850-plus staff when he says the all-flash array (AFA) start-up, has: Recruited an additional 500 staff Grown revenue more than 300 …

1. Electron Shepherd

Significant Omission?

There's no mention of, you know, actual profit.

2. Buzzword

Pure

They make nice DAB radios too.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hogwash

"For every $1 customers spend with Pure, they spend an average of $1.20 in the next 12 months, it being a land-and-expand business"

That's so hogwash I'll throw up. The reason they spend 120% on top of their initial investment is because they run out of capacity quickly due to over-promising but under-delivering of inline efficiencies.

What's out!

1. Flammi

Re: Hogwash

I agree 100%. They claim 8X - 10X and usually only get 3X - 4X.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Hogwash

Current global average data reduction is 5.38:1, as per the Pure website. I've been told databases usually reduce around 3-4:1, VMware usually around 5-6:1, VDI usually around 8-12:1.

4. Man Mountain

Their win rate against other vendors? I think you can flip those numbers on their head vs HP!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Shipped >1,000 arrays"

Per Pure Storage PR on their web site. So - average $/Unit ? x 1000 is revenue ?

Sometimes the CEO behavior is a bit strange -but behavior with biz ,bloomberg, analysts is top notch. Wonder how Brian P will contribute . :) File support ?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

what about outgoing expenditure?

They might be making noise and doing some business but what is their operating costs? It must be damn high and unsustainable compared to revenue coming in. I reckon they will have to IPO this year to bring in funding for innovation so we will get to see the real numbers then. Never know, they may surprise us.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Comments are complete BS

So much hostility and negativity, you'd think the article or it's content was insulting your brand new puppy or calling y'all babies ugly.

Chill people.

Given that no one commenting here has any actual factual information, it's pretty difficult to take any of the above spam seriously. All negativity and speculation. Just shows how cynical and jaded we've all become.

Which pre-IPO privately held company discloses profits to nosy bad-wishers anyway? There will be plenty of time for you to generate negative commentary when they go public I am sure, you "well wishers", you. Fact is Pure Storage is a solid organisation, so far they have done everything they have promised and have been 100 times easier to deal with that the HP, EMC, Netapp and other stagnants. Awesome products that deliver. Full stop. It's an amazing group of people here to change the industry, and have staked their careers to do that, which is a lot more than can be said for all the me-toos and softly-softly-test-the-waters out there.

Good for them. Here's hoping they do change the game and make all of our lives better for it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Comments are complete BS

Staked their careers? Most of the people I know who have gone there have done it because they had a huge paycheck wafted in front of them so don't try and make out like these people are heroes out to change the world.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Your comment exemplifies precisely the bitterness and cynicism I am talking about. I'm betting your the life of the party with that positive outlook on things!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"We also launched FlashStack – an all-solid-state converged infrastructure in combination with Cisco and VMware." -- clever wording -- "In combination with" -- can VMware and Cisco corroborate Pure's story or is this a clever way of branding that lesser companies are known for?

Also everything is cheaper than a VMAX. I'm setting up shop tomorrow to sell JBODs filled with SanDisk SSDs for exorbitant savings (also taking credit for customer's own efforts in optimizing how expensive DB licenses are being used).

'Meh...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Mate, I'm just not living in cloud cuckoo land like you are. Pure have been on a massive recruitment drive and have been throwing big money around. Fact! Their product is ok but not revolutionary! Fact! They are very good at marketing though! Fact! But sooner or later they are going to need to turn a profit to justify all the investment.

9. Fungus Bob

Pure CEO dons cheerleader outfit

Pics or it didn't happen

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon