back to article Boris Johnson backs trade union campaign to ungag civil servants

Boris Johnson and the FDA trade union are calling for the government to lift new restrictions on civil servants' contact with the media, which was quietly implemented following an update to the Civil Service Code slipped through earlier this month. The addition to the Civil Service Code earlier this month requires that all …

1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

Facts not opinions

Civil servants should be allowed to talk to anyone if all they are doing is offering facts: e.g. "How many unemployed are there this week?" or "What did the minister say last week?"

Civil Servants should not, however, provide opinion.e g. "Is the unemployment rate too high?"

Now, I accept, that it can sometimes be that the lines between fact and opinion can be a little grey, but you get the idea.

Ministers should NOT be involved in handling facts. They'll only distort them.

1. MrXavia

Re: Facts not opinions

When you take the time to think about the power ministers have with NO understanding of it, it is scary...

Just look how many dumb comments about Encryption that Cameroon has made, or the foolishness that Theresa May tried to introduce with monitoring...

These are subjects where they should get expert advice of the VERY independent kind, i.e. people who are paid no matter who is in power....

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Facts not opinions

If it's any help I can confirm the former* under secretary responsible for railways knowth not one end of a train from t'other. I'm slightly hazy as to whether or not anyone is even pretending ministers know the slightest thing about their briefs any more - it doesn't seem to be mentioned much. Presumably they're just meant to "manage" i.e. ignore civil servants, facts, etc. and get on with doing whatever their friends have asked them to do. This suggests a line of demarcation where by ministers ONLY give opinions and civil servants stick to facts. It can't make things any worse.

*thank $deity, the author makes a good point there

I'll drink some more tea shall I?

2. Kane
        Joke

Re: Facts not opinions@ MrXavia

"These are subjects where they should get expert advice of the VERY independent kind, i.e. people who are paid no matter who is in power...."

So...civil servants then?

2. gloucester

Ministers still so

I believe that ministers of HMG, including Mad Frankie, are still such until the leader of a new government goes for tea with HM in May, they are just no longer members (of parliament, because it has been disolved).

1. David Dawson

Re: Ministers still so

This is correct. Ministers happen to be mostly picked from the commons, but this is not a necessity.

The office of MP and HM minister are separate.

3. Elmer Phud

Eh?

Boris supporting people who are being gagged?

Wasn't there something about trying to silence an ex-partner?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Eh?

who hasn't tried to silence a partner... ex or not...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"* As Parliament has been prorogued for May's general election, the country currently has no MPs and therefore no ministers. The sky has, so far, not fallen in."

One's position as minister is independent of their presence, or otherwise, in Parliament. Ministerial positions are retained. Frankly we should be more impressed that across our many centuries of parliamentary government, we've had frequent periods of executives with no government oversight and the sky still hasn't fallen!

1. Peter2 Silver badge

You mean back when parliament used to occasionally meet once a year or so because the people elected had jobs/lives outside of parliament? (I think king Charles the first had one meeting of parliament in two decades, which is perhaps a bit too much of a gap.)

Wouldn't it be nice if we limited politicians to one day in parliament a quarter. That'd sharply reduce the number of crap laws simply by reducing the total number enacted.

5. Graham Marsden
    Holmes

“Sunlight is the best disinfectant”

I'm sensing a certain irony here...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"A lifetime in the civil service, an entire career devoted to avoiding questions, and you suddenly decide to start answering them today, and to the press!"

7. Velv
    Coat

Bernard Woolley: That's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I give confidential security briefings. You leak. He has been charged under section 2a of the Official Secrets Act.

8. Mark 85

Look on the bright side...

At least your PM's don't toss around some religious fluff about a 6,000 year old universe and the sky fairy blesses their misdeeds. Hmmm... can we trade? Congress for Parliament and will toss in a couple of Cabinet officers to sweeten the deal.

9. Winkypop Silver badge
    Facepalm

"the highest standards of confidentiality, integrity and probity"

So a two tier system then, one for civil servants, another for politicians.

10. Ben Liddicott

A member remains a member until his replacement is elected

Firstly: A member remains a member until his replacement is elected, (unless he has resigned, in which case he is no longer a member once parliament is dissolved).

Secondly, being a minister does not depend on being an MP. You might be a peer, for example, like Lord Adonis.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: A member remains a member until his replacement is elected

"You might be a peer, for example, like Lord Adonis."

Without peer.

Then again, we currently have no MPs, yet are currently paying MPs expenses ...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon