back to article National Grid's new designer pylon is 'too white and boring' – Pylon Appreciation Society

The UK's National Grid has planted the first of its new "T-pylons" — an elegant alternative to the traditional steel lattice monsters currently straddling Blighty's green and pleasant land. The T-pylon was born from a 2011 competition won by Danish architects Bystrup, who came up with a 35 meter-high monopole base design, …

Page:

1. Bassey

Nice website

I couldn't help but chuckle at the "FAQ". Surely that must be stretching the definition of "Frequently" to breaking point?

1. VinceH

Re: Nice website

"Is there one specific pylon in this country that's seen as the top dog or one which you particularly like?"

Heh!

Yup, I've actually been sitting here wondering about that for a very long time - so I'm glad that website exists to answer my question! And I'm sooo glad two that are almost on my doorstep - the two spanning the Severn Estuary - get a mention in answer to that.

No, really. Would I lie about something as glorious and beautiful as the pylon?

Why, yes, yes I would.

In all seriousness, though, if I was a member of that society, I'm afraid I'd be a dissenting voice - because I quite like the appearance of the new ones.

But then, I also quite like wind turbines, despite other people around me thinking they're ugly.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

too white and boring

Is it cause i is white!

I take offense at that, bunch of racists!

2. disorder

If they look like wind turbines already you could think it may make sense to actually put a wind turbine on top too. If they can still claim land to plant pylons through eminent domain then surely, the only people that'd be offended by fixing our renewables obligations would be greens?

1. Suricou Raven

Turbines can't feed into those transmission lines directly - serious voltage mismatch. You could almost make it work, but you'd need a bunch of switchgear and a big transformer down the bottom - and if you need that, it'd be more efficient to use multiple turbines all hooked up to a common substation.

2. ItsNotMe
      WTF?

The fact that there even exists a Pylon Appreciation Society shows that some people really need to rethink their lives.

2. toxicdragon

White pylon

Sorry but I like these, almost look like something out of a Sci Fi film, now if we can just get the upright barrel style windmills instead of the propeller kind I will be happy.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: White pylon

Wind turbine efficiency is already pretty dire without the added losses from having the blades push against the wind for half their cycle. The may look pretty, but they're shit.

1. toxicdragon

Well yeah probably, but they still look cool.

1. Kevin Reilly

I think they would look better in Coyote brown or even a nice Flectarn Camo. with Hi Vis where the lines fit for elf & saftey.

1. h4rm0ny

I think it's not my place to say what colours or patterns they should have. It should be thrown open to local communities. Schedule days when they can be turned off and provide some scaffolding and paint, and let people turn up and decorate them. What's the worst that could happen?

2. BernardL

Nah, Flecktarn's too dark and it blurs to black past 100 metres or so. You want something more like Pletsloring for foresty areas. Or PenCott.

For something on a skyline, it would be great if there was such a thing as a light grey/green camo that was useless for anything else... Oh, wait, UCP.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Wind turbine efficiency is already pretty dire "

That's true. But you're assuming that they are intended to be efficient and effective. Any deductive reasoning leads to the conclusion that wind turbines are built solely for the sake of being seen to do something. Total UK spend on renewables to date is around £38bn, which has purchased around 20 GW of wind and solar PV capacity, with an average load factor (across onshore wind, offshore wind, solar) of around 25%, with around 6% load factor on the 100 coldest days of the year.

The same money would have bought 10 GW of nuclear plant (event at EDF & Areva's comically over-priced offer for Hinkley Point C), but that would have operated at around 90% load factor, and because outages are scheduled, close on 100% availability on the coldest days. So nuclear power would give you twice the total output of the crummy renewables, reliably and when you need.

So I come back to the tokenism of wind turbines. Monuments to muddle headed thinking, erected at the behest of civil servants and politicians spending other people's money.

1. Pen-y-gors

@Ledswinger

And don't forget, nuclear is the power that keeps on giving. Our great-great-great-grandchildren will be able to shovel a couple of kilos of nuclear waste into their hot water bottle and keep the bed warm without wasting any hot water.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: White pylon@ Pen-y-gors

"Our great-great-great-grandchildren will be able to shovel a couple of kilos of nuclear waste into their hot water bottle and keep the bed warm without wasting any hot water"

Managing nuclear waste is a fairly straightforward concept. It has a cost, but ultimately it came out the ground, you shove it back into the ground. I know this is challenging for the calvinist-guilt ethic that seems to be an essential for all "environmentalists".

The UK's spiralling decommissioning costs reflect 1950's designs that have more irradiated mass than modern designs, and in particular the appalling practices at the Sellafield plant primarily related to nuclear weapons development. Sellafield alone represents 74% of total UK decommissioning costs, and that's virtually all down to research and armaments. Nuclear power decommissioning costs will turn out around £40bn (undiscounted) including the sites not included in the NDA portfolio. Over their lifetime the assets concerned will have generated around 3.2 PWh of electricity, so the decommissioning costs for nuclear power are about 1.25 p/kWh, and modern designs would probably be less than a quarter of that. It'd be even cheaper if the bunglers of the civil service could be kept well away.

2. Alan Brown Silver badge

"Our great-great-great-grandchildren will be able to shovel a couple of kilos of nuclear waste"

Only if we persist in using inefficient uranium PWR systems.

3. Stuart21551

'into their hot water bottle and keep the bed warm without wasting any hot water'

& more savings, on contraceptives!

2. Mike 125

@Ledswinger

Cool. And even better, we can just let the kids worry about the decommissioning and clean up, somewhere down the line. They'll thank us for keeping the lights on. And in any case, there's no problem with any of that sh't, right, nothing a good, stiff broom can't budge, right?

Ahhh... amortising costs out to the future, to screw up the future - it's so great.

Now, back to a serious question: how do you actually measure the efficiency of a wind turbine? Power out / Power in, but how do you measure the Power in?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

but how do you measure the Power in?

Wind speed and surface area, it just falls out from basic maths.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"Cool. And even better, we can just let the kids worry about the decommissioning and clean up, somewhere down the line. "

If we keep burning fossil fuels because renewables arn't up to the job then the kids will have more urgent things to worry about than a few hundred tons of nuclear waste which could happily fit in a few railway wagons.

1. Whit.I.Are

My kids never turn the flipping lights off, so it's their own fault...

2. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

"If we keep burning fossil fuels because renewables arn't up to the job then the kids will have more urgent things to worry about than a few hundred tons of nuclear waste which could happily fit in a few railway wagons."

Whilst I agree with you on principle, it's probably only remotely sensible to put the low level waste in this sort of containment (stuff like gloves used to handle the outsides of the containers of higher-level stuff, etc.)

With high level waste, like spent fuel, you might find you end up with a couple of railway-carriage shaped holes emitting a strange blue glow.

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"erected at the behest of civil servants and politicians spending other people's money."

For once don't blame the politicians. These absurd situation has resulted from endless eco-mentalist pressure groups pushing renewables and causing endless trouble whenever nuclear is put on the table. If any government even attempted to build a nuclear plant at a new site the rent a crowd would immediately descend and cause chaos and meanwhile the suited mentalists would be throwing every legal obstacle and nimby found under a rock at it that they could find.

The end result - you end up with the situation in germany where despite an EU pledge to reduce carbon emissions the idiots there are closing their nuclear plants and opening coal & gas fired plants because their grand renewables schemes won't keep the lights on on their own. Well who knew?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
            Facepalm

"If any government even attempted to build a nuclear plant at a new site the rent a crowd would immediately descend and cause chaos"

It does make one wonder why they don't just build on MoD land. There's plenty of it around the country and already secure in many cases and with specific laws regarding access. Not just huge training areas but disused army and RAF bases.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Re: White pylon@ John Brown (no body)

"It does make one wonder why they don't just build on MoD land. "

This was looked at when they were considering plans to build new nuclear, as you say it would be sensible. But even more sensible to build next retiring nuclear plant (eg Wylfa, Oldbury, Bradwell) because these have some form of grid export capability and so don't require new power lines to the same extent, and the local communities generally accept nuclear power as safe.

So with the limited level of ambition for new UK nuclear there wasn't really the need to use old military land.

4. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Here's a potential safer nuclear alternative. I'm not qualified to determine it's viability but there is much work worldwide in the pebble bed and thorium reactor field and so remain hopeful.

http://www.the-weinberg-foundation.org/2012/10/12/what-to-do-with-135000-pebbles-generate-a-lot-of-c02-free-safe-nuclear-power-says-south-african-startup/

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"Here's a potential safer nuclear alternative....."

PBMR has been around for many years now. It's proven at concept level, it works, and it lends itself to much smaller scale plants than say the huge EPR plants that Areva are struggling to complete and commission in Europe.

There's certainly reason to believe it would be less prone to the sort of catastrophic meltdown of Chernobyl or Fukushima, but against this the proportionate overheads of smaller nuclear plants will be much higher, and certain operational, security and logistical details really don't work in favour of smaller nuclear plants. So as a result it has never really managed to make itself economically viable, and the idea has repeatedly been passed on.

2. anothercynic Silver badge

PBMRs are a great design, but no-one's taken it further... But this is what happens when you sell your interest in nuclear reactor designs and manufacturers to those incumbents who stick to the old 'boil some water' adage.

1. Androgynous Cupboard Silver badge

Re: Pebble Bed Reactors (was White Pylon)

I understood that there were still a bunch of issues with the pebble bed design that came to light in the german AVR reactor, and that it's not quite the panacea that it's been made out to be...

Only source I can find is this slashdot comment.

Edit: found a few more authorititive links:

http://www.neimagazine.com/features/featurepbr-safety-revisited/

http://www.fz-juelich.de/portal/EN/AboutUs/self-conception/responsibility/avr/avr-expertengruppe/report-avr-expert-group_summary.pdf?__blob=publicationFile

5. Alan Brown Silver badge

There are a couple of places where wind turbines are worthwhile - places that have consistent wind and good exposure, plus not so far from the grid that major new builds are needed.

Such places are not in the UK - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Te_Apiti_Wind_Farm

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: Wind power: "Such places are not in the UK"

Don't believe the NZ propaganda! They're claiming a load factor of 32.4%, which is good for onshore units, but not so good compared to the 37-39% year round average achieved by UK offshore units. And whilst not universally true, as a general rule it is often impracticable to build decent size (5MW+) turbines on land, so you'll see the NZ site has poxy, short-bottomed 1.65 MW units - they're letting more than half the wind energy drift on by.

1. toxicdragon

Christ I only said that I think they look cool. Didn't realise it would turn into this, sill I suppose its nice to have a discussion.

6. Tom 7

You have seen that the people who may possibly make the new plant at Hinkley are currently 3 times over budget on their current french plant and the pressure vessel is just a tad leaky. It was made the same way as the one they've already made for Hinkley apparently....

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/uk-nuclear-strategy-faces-meltdown-as-faults-are-found-in-identical-french-project-10186163.html

3. anothercynic Silver badge

You'll find that the VAWT resolves many of the 'dead return' issues by using more than 2 blades (the classic design just uses 2) and by curving them around 60 degrees. You don't have to build a 200m tower to connect a set of 60m blades either... But that said, VAWTs like the QR5 do have some design issues, and QuietRevolution, the company who sold the QR5, went bust because the QR5 did in fact not deliver the 5kW it was supposed to have (it delivered around 15% less), and there were some construction flaws that caused corrosion (and lots of subsequent fun with centrifugal forces). There are some buildings on the M25 (somewhere between the M3 and the M23) that have a set of QR5s installed (which sadly don't rotate because QR went bust).

I agree that a row of QR5s on their 14m stalks would be nicer to see than one massive 60m wind turbine quietly rotating in the wind. Smaller or larger versions (QR built the QR20 too) in windy places would be less obtrusive than say a forest of big turbines (drive through Saxony in Germany sometime, you'll soon realise what I mean).

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: VAWT@ anothercynic

"I agree that a row of QR5s on their 14m stalks would be nicer to see than one massive 60m wind turbine quietly rotating in the wind"

But unfortunately the boundary layer effects mean you'll always get less output from any wind turbine closer the ground (or even sea surface). This really mitigates against VAWT, which lends itself to smaller scale units.

That's why the latest designs are offshore monsters HAWT up to 220m tall.

In theory VAWT could be built offshore, but nobody's done anything at any meaningful scale, despite some tens of millions of dollars thrown at research into offshore VAWT.

2. Chris 239
          Thumb Up

Thanks, I wondered why those stopped turning some time ago (can't remember when).

Were they 5KW (-15%) apiece?

4. Suricou Raven

Vertical turbines do have one advantage though: Reliability. They have one moving part. A pivoting turbine has the rotor, usually angleable blades, slip rings designed to handle the weight of generator and gearbox, more complicated lubrication that needs monitoring. They actually need servicing, a vertical rotor turbine is almost fit-and-forget. That's a big advantage in small-scale installations where you don't want the cost of on-site engineer visits.

3. Mostly Human

Metal tree

Perhaps if they painted the "trunk" brown and the arms green it would blend into the countryside better than the all white version?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Metal tree

Yep, they definitely should. Current pylons are ugly, I suppose, but they do blend in reasonably well. I hate the idea of bright white, no matter how elegant the design.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"I hate the idea of bright white,"

It's actually a light grey, and the colour is not dissimilar to the "air superiority grey" used on combat aircraft. That's chosen because the usual backdrop against which you want low visibility is the sky. Painting either pylons or military aircraft green or brown would make them stand out like a sore thumb in most viewing situations.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

It's actually a light grey, and the colour is not dissimilar to the "air superiority grey" used on combat aircraft. That's chosen because the usual backdrop against which you want low visibility is the sky. Painting either pylons or military aircraft green or brown would make them stand out like a sore thumb in most viewing situations.

Tiny problem: you don't want them to be wholly invisible either in case of air traffic. One of the *major* benefits I see of the new style is that they are much smaller and thus less of an obstruction.

4. TechnoTechno

I don't think anyone who's a member of the "Pylon Appreciation Society" has the right to call anyone or anything else boring...

1. Sealand
      Joke

It's much more difficult to climb the pole-type pylons, so you have to appreciate them from the ground.

That's why true pylon appreciators don't like that design.

2. FartingHippo
      Boffin

They're not bottom of the [boring] food chain by a long way

http://www.telegraphpoleappreciationsociety.org

1. mrfill
        Thumb Up

Re: They're not bottom of the [boring] food chain by a long way

or there's always the UK Roundabout Appreciation Society

http://www.roundaboutsofbritain.com/

2. GitMeMyShootinIrons
        Joke

http://www.telegraphpoleappreciationsociety.org

But I imagine their parties are great, complete with Pole Dancers....

3. TitterYeNot

"http://www.telegraphpoleappreciationsociety.org"

And they even have a 'Pole of the Month'!

"Phwoar, look at the skirts on those insulators!" Erm...

On a more serious note, I'm guessing the light colour they're using for these new pylons will help prevent them from being infested with low flying helicopters and microlight aircraft.

1. Alan J. Wylie

"http://www.telegraphpoleappreciationsociety.org"

And they even have a 'Pole of the Month'!

There's a Pylon of the Month site too!

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: Re: They're not bottom of the [boring] food chain by a long way

There's some hot pylon action in there, and no messing.

3. h4rm0ny

>>"I don't think anyone who's a member of the "Pylon Appreciation Society" has the right to call anyone or anything else boring..."

You're commenting on a news story about pylon colours. Just saying...

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon