back to article COME BACK – I never said we were quitting public cloud, says HP bigwig Bill Hilf

HP doesn't plan to abandon its public cloud business after all, a top company exec has said, but that still doesn't mean it intends to go head to head with the likes of Amazon Web Services, Google, and Microsoft. Last week, HP cloud honcho Bill Hilf put his foot in it when he said in an interview with The New York Times that …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Get back to us

when you have it figured out.

Thanks

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

It's HP

Who cares what their strategy is ?

They're dying anyway.

1. asdf
      Trollface

Re: It's HP

Empires rise and fall yet man still finds himself needing ink and nobody sells it at a higher margin.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just shut the f+%# up!

HP and Hilf know how to compound a problem. In this round, he talked out of his ass to the New York Times, waited a week to respond and when he did, he does so on a blog post so there can be no confusion over what he said.

But there is.

Hilf is not media savvy and should have been kept away from the media and away from blogging. I'm guessing 6 months until he's gone. Could be sooner if Oracle is looking to hire a cloud guy.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

4. FozzyBear

HP's wheel of fortune (Strategy) Oh look we've landed back on cloud computing.

Honestly each time HP comes out with a new (read old) strategy I have visions of the three stooges. Whoop, whoop, whoop, slap, doonk, bang, poke!

1. asdf

While I am far a fan from the abomination that HP has become that memristor thing might someday save their bacon (haven't been following it lately though). With the cuts in their R&D and atrophy of culture I wouldn't count on any more golden eggs after that though.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Time to start clearing his desk, I think

The NYT article is pretty clear. Hilf said, "We thought people would rent or buy computing from us. It turns out that it makes no sense for us to go head-to-head.” Not much room for interpretation there: they thought people would rent space on Helion, and they didn't. Later on he indicates that Meg Whitman has directed that they should specialize in engineered systems. Again, pretty un-cloudy. Not bad (I love HP systems), but not cloudy.

Poor guy. Media is hard, innit? I'm surprised he is still employed by HP.

I do have some sympathy. Anyone running their business on OpenStack needs nerves of steel.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like