back to article Unisys looks to ‘streamline’ as losses increase, sales fall

Losses at mainframe maker Unisys plunged deeper into the red in the company's first quarter of 2015, falling a further $10 million (£6.6 million) to $27.4 million (£18.1 million). First-quarter 2015 sales fell 5 per cent to $721 million (£476 million), when compared with the previous year. The company hopes to makes savings …

1. Sporkinum

Surprised they are still around

I started in IT on a Burroughs B3500 mainframe, and then onto a UNISYS 1100/60 before I got out of the mainframe world. Didn't even know they were still around.

2. Stevie

Bah!

If you walked into a mainframe computer showroom you would buy the Unisys Clearpath mainframe - it's lovely, it's elegant, it's beautiful. It is quite simply the best.

And Britain should have the best. In the world of the mainframe computer it is the Saville Row suit, the Rolls Royce Corniche, the Château Lafitte 1945. It is the mainframe computer Harrods would sell you.

What more can I say?

1. Skoorb

Re: Bah!

Do their mainframes natively support TCP/IP and new fangled languages like C++ yet?

1. Stevie

C? Yes. For decades. But why would you want to write in C if you have other options?

As for TCP/IP that is the job of the DCP, not the mainframe.

2. Roj Blake Silver badge

You almost sound like Sir Humphrey Appleby trying to convince Jim Hacker to buy Trident...

3. SharkNose

ALGOL, it's the future, I've seen it...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon