back to article Systemd hee hee: Jessie Debian gallops (slowly) into view

The Debian Project may not be that slow with new releases, but sometimes it feels like it. The project typically releases a new version "when it's ready," which seems to work out to about once every two years lately. Debian 8, branded Jessie, in keeping with the Toy Story naming scheme (Jessie was the cowgirl character in Toy …

1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

I seem to be the lone person totally indifferent to it.

Nope, you're not alone...

1. dogged

wow, there are three of us?

It has its pros and cons. I have upgraded (so am without) but I don't have any moral objection to it.

1. James Hughes 1
        1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

For desktops, sure whatever. For servers, good luck in the needless fight!

For choosing bleeding edge packages, I'm not sure how much the distro matters compared to the desktop. So Stable, Testing or Sid might not matter once you're up and running. Articles/stories always seem to neglect that. Of course you can get it to run, but then a "Stable" distro might not seem so stable after all.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. CaptainBanjax

5.5 actually.

2. petur

LMDE

If you want the Mint version of Jessie, do *not* install LMDE, as there will not be an easy upgrade path to LMDE2 (which *is* based on Jessie)

3. ZSn

installation

One word of advice: don't use the default install. Go for advanced installation with GUI, ultimately it will save time by not having to configure it so much afterwards. The normal installer, while useful, doesn't have anywhere near the same functionality.

4. sabroni Silver badge
    Facepalm

re: When it's this easy to pick your desktop it's hard to say any one thing is the default.

No. It isn't. The "one thing that is the default" is the one that you get if you don't specifically pick something. That's what a default is.

5. Jim 59

[systemd] ...speeds up shutdown times by force killing processes if it has to, which can have unexpected consequences if you're in the middle of something.

Indeed. I am very happy with Linux Mint 17.1, but come shutdown time it simply kills any running apps, even those with open files. Result = regular file corruption for me. Even Windows isn't that stupid, and pauses to let you close files. Thanks, systemd!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Gee thanks systemd, as we all prefer to risk our data being corrupted rather than waiting another couple of seconds for shutdown to happen!

2. frank ly

Could you write a shutdown script that warns you if you have open files? (I know you shouldn't have to).

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Sensible systems when doing a "brute force" shut down start by sending SIGTERM to everything, which ought to be treated by sensible applications as "save stuff as you are being shut down right now". Then after at least 5 sec you send SIGKILL and that really will terminate everything.

3. DropBear
      WTF?

To be fair, if I had a penny for every time I wished Windows would just stop executing any process that hasn't terminated within 5 seconds from shutdown I'd be filthy rich. As it is, I never get to see my laptop actually power off (eventually) when I leave - not even an angel could stick around for that long, even if seemingly nothing at all is open anymore. Anyway, I find the concept of relying on system shutdown to save one's otherwise unsaved work exceedingly curious to say the least. No program, ever, should wait until it's terminated to save anything it has to save - nor should any human ever rely on that.

1. sabroni Silver badge

re: I never get to see my laptop actually power off (eventually) when I leave

Then there's something wrong with it, or the network it's sat on.

Don't know about 7 but 8 is pretty good at listing the things that are stopping it closing and letting you say you don't care. If you're not seeing a screen like that (and you are on a relatively modern version of windows) then it's unlikely that it's a user app causing the shut down to be slow.

A quick nose in the system logs might shed some light onto the issue, but the problem here is that the workaround (go away and leave it to sort itself out) is working so well there's little incentive to sort it.

6. Androgynous Cupboard Silver badge

Two thirds of this review was not so useful

A desktop on a Debian system is like a window in a submarine.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Two thirds of this review was not so useful

Nemo reference? Without a window he wouldn't be able to see the giant octopus. Which would, I suppose, be systemd. Is that why they went with it in Mint Cinnamon???

1. JonCCrawford

Re: Two thirds of this review was not so useful

LMDE2 Cinnamon isn't using SystemD. Clem has said they'll likely move in the future.

7. keithpeter Silver badge
    Pint

Default UI

"Jessie made headlines early in its development because it opted for Xfce instead of GNOME as the default desktop. Eventually, though, Debian went back on that decision and you get GNOME 3.14 if you accept all the defaults in the installation process."

That happened in the development phase for Wheezy as well. Now Joey Hess has moved on, I wonder if it will happen in the Stretch cycle. Google for Joeyh's posts to the debian-devel mailing list for the reasons behind XFCE4 as default.

I installed from the live MATE CD. Reasonable selection of software on boot. Install time about 20 mins with no Internet connection(*), added a sources.list file manually, then a walk down to the Selly Sausage cafe in Selly Oak to install all the extras (R, LaTeX &c) on their fast wifi.

(*)I switch the wifi switch off, allow the wlan0 detect to fail, then select 'do not configure network at this time' option then continue. Decline popcon, and decline network mirror prompt. Use the sources.list generator to set up a suitable list for apt-get later.

Pint: no sausage icon

8. Pete4000uk

spicy

The stability of Debian with the beauty of Cinnomon??

Lovely!

9. frank ly

How stable is stable?

I'm happy to try new things and have a spare SSD to play with, but for the 'ordinary domestic user' I'm fairly sure there would be no advantage for me over using Linux Mint 13, as I have done for two years now (I accept all level 1,2 and 3 updates and make partition clones at regular intervals). Can anyone say if I'd see improvements or anything notably different?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: How stable is stable?

Well, 17 is three better.

1. frank ly

Which number base are you using? I can't figure it out. (13 is still in its LTS period so I'll stay with it and it always takes a year to get most of the wrinkles ironed out.)

2. Preston Munchensonton
        Boffin

Well, 17 is three better.

This like saying Babylon 5 is a half-way compromise between Deep Space Nine and Saturn 3.

LM 17 can only be considered 4 better (as its four releases after 13 and, in this universe, 17 minus 13 still equals 4), or 1 better, as LM 17 is the next LTS release after 13.

10. JonCCrawford

Gnome on Jessie is quite smooth and, I assume, unadulterated. A batch of extensions is installed but they're not enabled. Screen tearing in XFCE here, with Haswell or an Nvidia 750ti and Debian's proprietary driver, still keep me away, sadly.

Mint's current LMDE Cinnamon updates to Jessie very nicely. Did it earlier this week. It's only a few weeks older.

As a desktop user, I want an init system to stay invisible. So far, systemd has been.

1. CFWhitman

If you are interested in using Xfce without screen tearing, you can do it by disabling the built in compositing and using Compton instead. This actually works particularly well in Debian 8 with any Intel GPU from about the last eight years (at least the ones I've tried) or most AMD GPUs at least a couple of years old with the open source drivers. It has also worked well with Nvidia cards that were about seven years old with the proprietary driver in Ubuntu Studio, so I imagine it would work well with more recent cards as well. Of course, you will need a decent compton.conf file, but you can find one on the Internet.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like