back to article Teradata tumbles off Wall Street pedestal, buys back paper

Big data and data warehouse shop Teradata has fallen from Wall Street grace with a Q1 revenue and profits miss. First quarter 2015 revenues of $582 million were 7.3 per cent down on the year-ago quarter's $628 million. The $22 million net income was 63 per cent less than the $59 million recorded a year ago. In the prior …

1. Beachrider

This stock hasn't fallen apart...

I agree with the part where they had a disappointing report. Big Data vendors had a bit of a shakeup recently, too.

Teradata is more about large, central databases than the highly distributed Hadoop players that dominate this industry segment, though...

2. Dan 10

@Beachrider - I'm not so sure. The Aster and hadoop products push them into the big data space, complete with their own hardware appliances. I wonder whether there is a combination of forces; industry hesitation (at least at the purchasing level) about how all this stuff is tied together, and why it's a good idea to have both a DW and Big Data platforms, the in-memory performance of things like SAP HANA, and perhaps recognition that if you get the data architecture and usage right, then cloud hosting, with it's "upload and process as much as you like, pay for the download" approach lends itself to analytics, and doesn't involve £3m on your own hardware?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like