back to article So tablets, if you want to get anything done travelling get a ... yes, a laptop

Some people mature like a fine wine. Others mellow out like a smooth whiskey. Yet others get more sprightly and a bit fruity as they grow older, akin to a strong gin and tonic. I am a cheap Rioja. By this, you understand that I’m widely available and don't cost much but never quite live up to my reputation. In fact, I often …

Page:

1. Chris G

Blogster Dabbsy

I think with your dry ascerbic wit and observational skills you might get quite a following screwing up tests on new products. After all it is as important to understand the minuses as much as the plusses on anything! new before you buy it.

You could call it the shitfuckarse blog!!

1. ZSn

Re: Blogster Dabbsy

The shitfuckarse channel is probably already taken and not for tech journalists...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

that depends on the "tech".

You ga(y)me Al???

2. JeffyPoooh
      Pint

How to pack...

TL;DR: legal size carry-on bag *plus* a 'personal item' is a laptop bag for small laptop and endless gadgets.

If I'm going on a trip, I'd bring several gadgets, including a small laptop. The airline allows a 'personal item' which is a full size laptop bag. Modern gadgets are so small that the laptop bags easily holds a small laptop plus another half dozen gadgets (incl several tablets) and accessories. It all fits into one laptop bag 'personal item'. Even full size noise cancelling headphones of the folding variety.

Ladies with handbags can't have another laptop bag, sorry.

The legal size carry on bag is for clothes and such. Nothing tech or valuable just in case the carry on bag needs to be 'sky checked' at the aircraft door.

This method allows essentially unlimited gadgets, and a carry on bag just for clothing.

1. D@v3

Re: How to pack...

depends on the airline. in some, 1 carry on is 1! carry on (no laptop bags, umbrellas, motorcycle helmets, handbags). Others, it is 1+personal item.

3. Haku

If he did videos of his 'screwing up tests on new products', I'd imagine it would be something along the lines of Techmoan crossed with Ashens

Techmoan reviews little known (usually on the cheaper end of the scale) technology items often with full in-depth showing of the features of said tech. Factual and formal.

whereas Ashens gets hold of the cheapest tat you've probably never seen before (from 99p stores etc. and items sent to his po box from across the globe) then promply verbally and often physically tears it to pieces with his scathing wit and his disembodied hands (the camera always points at his sofa where the objects of not-desire are perused). Amusing, often funny, and sad when you realise people are actually buying the showcased products because they mistakenly believe they want them....

4. David 18
      Coffee/keyboard

I'd subscribe. I nearly wrecked my keyboard looking at the second attempt, it even had good comic timing - just one beat before tipping over, perfect.

Lack of slickness is a talent in sad decline. Anyway, it worked out ok for Tommy Cooper.

2. dave 93

Uploading 'everything' to iCloud?

You did remember to delete the copies of the original, giant DSLR files after you downsampled them, so you only had to sync the small ones, right? Or even emailed the small pictures a few at a time.

If you really want to travel light, have you seen how good the latest smartphone cameras are - iPhone 6 plus could just about replace all your kit.

1. Robin

Re: Uploading 'everything' to iCloud?

Indeed. I recently took a flight with my newly acquired iPhone 6 and to alleviate the boredom, decided to make a little film of the various stages of the flight to test the capabilities. I took videos of take-off and landing (including some fancy slo-mo effects), snapped stills from the window at cruising altitude, added a dramatic soundtrack (if I 'd had any offline music on the new phone) and spliced them all together in the iMovie app, then uploaded it. I was impressed at how smoothly it all went.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I'm more low tech - I buy a book and that'll last me for the flight. The most advanced tech I will use during a flight is a Kindle - again, a book, just with the weight removed and some backlight added.

1. Stevie

" again, a book, just with the weight removed..."

Not a Kindle Fire then.

2. Alistair Dabbs

Yes but uploaded it where?

1. Robin

> Yes but uploaded it where?

Just to the Facebook of my mate who I was en-route to visit.

3. Alan Denman

...and this was whilst checking my iShares portfolio.

Ha Ha

4. jockmcthingiemibobb

Is there a special seating area on aeroplanes for ballbags doing that sort of thing?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I'm off to the USofA on Thursday for a trip. Business (1 week) followed by Holiday (2 weeks)

Now if you think I'm going to even attempt to take half decent pictures of a Female Grizzly and her Cubs (in Yellostone) with an iPhone 6+ camera, you are more than welsome to try. I won't be coming to your funeral.

Personally, a 200-400mm lens with a 1.4x teleconverter is about as close as I want to get.

1. Trigonoceps occipitalis

How fast can fanbois run?

1. Chris King

Does it matter, so long as YOU can run faster than them ?

2. Dave 126 Silver badge

>Now if you think I'm going to even attempt to take half decent pictures of a Female Grizzly and her Cubs (in Yellostone) with an iPhone 6+ camera, you are more than welsome to try.

The discussion is about tech blogging, and a photographer is unlikely to meet anything at a tech conference as dangerous as an enraged grizzly bear.... not now that Steve Balmer has retired, that is. New gadgets don't bite!

The right tool for the right job... too many of the trendy, shiny tech sites take photographs with too shallow a depth of field, so half the gadget in question is out of focus. They are evidently using premium-compact, mirrorless or full-blown DSLRs, but they seem fixated on presentation and not illustration.

Hmmm, you might get some interesting bear shots if you hung an iPhone from a tree, covered it in dog food, and then got an app to fire its camera when its gyros detect an ursine mauling... of course you'd need the photos to be sent off-phone in real time, but it seems doable!

1. Triggerfish

The right tool for the right job would probably be a decent high end compact.

3. Dan 55 Silver badge
      Mushroom

So when you read that iOS can't save to SD card and the kludge was to sync the photos via hotel WiFi and wait a very very very long time, your solution is to throw away the bit that does work (the camera), buy an new iShiny, and shrink the photos down to a useless resolution so they can sync over crappy WiFi.

Would you kindly feck off to the Apple forums and bring your considerable skills to answering the questions where they'll be more appreciated (e.g. Q. My Mac makes a big annoying honking goose noise on startup, how do I make it start up quietly so I don't wake up my baby and piss off my wife? A. The honking goose noise is supposed to be there so you know it's turned on, have you considered keeping the computer on all the time, and don't you dare install any third party software to try and turn it off because it could break the computer and it's not the Apple way.)

3. Robin

Boring Voice

When I saw the Father Ted boring voice clip, I thought it was going to be this one (about 1:39 in, but of course you should watch the whole thing)

4. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Trollface

Paranormal activity? Just another natural resource ripe for exploitation!

The package will work exactly as designed 100 times in a row, but as soon as I click the ‘record’ button, it’s guaranteed to fail or freeze at some point

We should harness this meta-natural-law to effect better and more thorough testing of products!

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: Paranormal activity? Just another natural resource ripe for exploitation!

Paranormal activity....

A friend had a misbehaving PC, and I tried al the usual things but the symptoms persisted. I then changed the HDD, memory, CPU... no dice. Eventually I swapped the PSU and the motherboard over... still, the same odd behaviour. By this point I think the only original component left was the case.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Paranormal activity? Just another natural resource ripe for exploitation! @Dave 126

Voltage fluctuations and undervoltage in the mains are a b*tch, aren't they?

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

@Dave 126

Did you try replacing the user?

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

>Did you try replacing the user?

Yes, yes I did. He's a walking illustration of why walled gardens are a good idea for some people!

5. OzBob

Plus one vote for the 90s tv appearance digitisation

just to see if you look like an advert for the "rave" culture back then (v-front shirt, number 0 haircut, manic arm movements and vocab).

1. Alistair Dabbs

Re: Plus one vote for the 90s tv appearance digitisation

I'd started a family by then, so I didn't have time to visit the barber's and I was probably wearing my only shirt without vomit down the shoulders.

1. Martin Budden Silver badge

Re: Plus one vote for the 90s tv appearance digitisation

It's strange that so many people start a family but you never hear of anyone finishing a family. In that respect, families are a lot like EDRMS implementations.

6. David Robinson 1

TL;DR version

Dabbsy discovers what most people knew ages ago that tablets are for consuming media and laptops/desktops are for creating it.

1. Alistair Dabbs

Re: TL;DR version

20 years ago, I could write up a story on a Psion 3a while on the train back from a demo. 15 years ago, I remember filing stories about ICC colour profiling from a hotel room in Chamonix using a Psion 5 and pocket modem via the hotel telephone. It was easier to work with mobile kit then than it is now.

1. JulieM Silver badge

Not quite. It was harder to use mobile kit in those days, because you really had to understand, on an almost visceral level, what was really happening "under the bonnet" while you were doing what you were doing. It hadn't been designed to be easy for non-technical people to use. You understood baud rates, parity bits, file formats and so forth, so it seemed easy.

Modern kit is designed to be used without understanding what is going on behind the scenes. To this end, some choices have already been made for you; and if there is even a way to change them at all, it will be hidden away in a menu structure, at a depth proportional to the consequences of injudicious tampering. (Well, hopefully. There are exceptions, and consequent horror stories. But let's ignore them for now.)

And the trouble is, since ordinary people by definition outnumber people with special requirements and the more of something you make the less each one costs, there's a big price jump between home equipment that behaves reasonably most of the time for most people, and industrial equipment that does exactly what you tell it whether or not that's what you really wanted.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

+1 for Psion. Had a colleague showing off his MacBook and how he can link it to his iphone and access the internet. Showed him my psion and nokia 6310i - "Yeah mate, was doing that 10 years ago..."

Was on holiday to Disneyland Paris last year, missus wanted to make notes for a forum posting. She was planning to type it on her iphone. Nah, just take the Psion, decent(ish) keyboard, didn't even use one set of AA batteries and when we arrived home, linked it up to the PC and transferred straight across.

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Linx 10 Windows 8.1 tablet £80, matching keyboard with integrated mousepad £15.

Has met all my travel computing requirements without any problems so far.

Of course I would like a Surface Pro,a HP Spectre or an Air, but really for under £100 I spend the savings on good stuff.

2. Richard 12 Silver badge

Indeed - though to be fair, the Surface Pro is actually a decent laptop.

As long as you can manage with 1 (one) USB port and no hardwired Ethernet.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

>As long as you can manage with 1 (one) USB port and no hardwired Ethernet.

For the scenario in this article - mobile blogging- those aren't big problems. The Surface Pro 3 does have a microSD card slot, but it appears designed to be left in, as swapping it in and out to transfer photos is a bit fiddly. Still, if you do a lot of photoblogging, an Eye-Fi card might work for you (seek out the experiences of existing users first,to see if the reality matches the promise). If you use a USB cable to connect a camera already, it can live with all the camera accessories - cleaning cloths, lens caps, spare cards etc.

However, the Surface Pro is just a laptop, so has plenty of competition if its removable keyboard doesn't bring you any great benefits.

3. ecofeco Silver badge

Exactly, David. Exactly. Except laptop aren't very good at all day intensive work either, but they are FAR better than tablets.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I bought a tablet last year partly so my wife could get her mail and buy shit she doesn't need on the web, and partly so we could backup our photos from our DSLR when we're travelling.

It does both, but isn't very good at either of them. I've yet to find an Android file manager which lets you only copy files which have changed, there's no shift-select equivalent, so if you want to select 500 photos in a directory of 1000 you either have to select 500 photos one by one or copy all 1000, overwriting the 1000 you have already copied.

It goes on: Android is half-baked and half-finished. You can do a lot of stuff, but it's incredibly difficult to do any of it. I'm typing this on my laptop, and can do so about 10-15 times more quickly than I could on a tablet, let alone a phone.

As for ipads, they don't even let you copy anything to internal storage, and there's no option to add external storage. What's the point in that?

There's a place for tablets, certainly: the size makes a huge difference and for the computer illiterate who don't know what they're missing with proper computers they're probably great.

As for planes, I tend to get the overnight flights and go to sleep. Best way to pass the time.

1. Miffo

Android 1.5 was OK.

I remember backing up dSLR photos with my Archos 5 "tablet" some years ago. I don't know if all file managers do this but I didn't have a problem with copying just the new files. I would select the whole folder on the SD card and when it found a duplicate, I could tell it to ignore duplicates so that only the new files copied over. Perhaps you need a different file manager?

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

Ghost Commander lets you a) select a wildcard pattern or b) search for a date range or other criteria and select all the search results then once you've done that you can copy or move the selection to the other pane.

It's a bit fiddly though, if I can I use the Cyanogenmod File Manager or Explorer instead, however they can't do selecting like Ghost Commander can.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Mahou Saru

foldersync

Might be a solution!

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

busybox

even without root access busybox gives you all the useful stuff like sort files by date etc

8. John Sager

Wrong tablet

You chose an iPad. Locked in a straitjacket there! We managed blogging off an Android tablet on an Antipodean holiday. True, I would have preferred my laptop but weight & size precluded that. True also it was for fun, not for earning money but it can be done, if rather inefficiently.

The workflow was, my wife took the photos, and then she wrote the text later. I put the camera micro-SD card in the tablet, copied the photos, fixed, cropped & scaled them for upload, then uploaded text & pics using the blog (Tumblr) app when we next had wifi. I played with a few apps before we left. A file manager is essential, and I found a decent photo-mangling app. Not up to Gimp or Photoshop but it sufficed. If I had been writing I would have soon bought a bluetooth keyboard but my wife got along with the screen.

1. Cosmo

Re: Wrong tablet

I have an iPad Mini 2 and a Tesco Hudl2. Naturally the iPad is a nicer tablet, but I have almost frisbeed it out of the window on numerous occasions due to the very limited syncing that Apple allows you to do.

With the Hudl, I can take the memory card out of my camera, remove it from the adapter and place it directly into the memory card slot, tinker with the pictures and then save them elsewhere. ES File Manager does work very well for that, but I agree with another poster that trying to select a subset of pictures from a large directory is frustrating.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

: Wrong Memory Card

There is the Eye-Fi SD card with WiFi:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/04/04/review_eyefi_mobi_pro_wireless_memory_card/?page=2

People know their own workflows, and choose their kit accordingly. Obviously we seek out reviews before making an investment, and we seek out the experiences of existing users on forums too.

If the situation that prompted this article was "I want something as light as a tablet but with a proper OS file manager and a keyboard!" then it would seem that Apple has heard you and produced the new Macbook. And all they want in return is loads of money!

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: : Wrong Memory Card

"And all they want in return is loads of money!"

There's the problem. If I remember some of his earlier offerings correctly Mr Dabbs is from Yorkshire where paying loads of money is against our religion.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

I didn't realise that he was from Yorkshire.... surely he wants a coal-powered laptop in polished brass with integrated punched-card reader? Tch, to think of the early lead that Yorkshire had in programmable loom technology, stolen by the Californians.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"the early lead that Yorkshire had in programmable loom technology"

Actually, we nicked it from the Frogs: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Marie_Jacquard

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like