back to article Are you an infosec bod? You must be STINKING RICH, says study

Jobs in the lucrative cyber-security sector can command salaries of $200,000 or more, according to a new salary survey. Lead software security engineer pull in an average of $233,333 while Chief Security Officer ($225,000) and Global Information Security Director ($200,000) also receive serious salaries. A new study of 2015 …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Would love to see a comparison study based on UK data.

Anon as I work in the industry.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Not to those standards!

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I managed the first half ....

2. sjaddy

security installation technicians?

"security installation technicians get still less, pulling in only $31,680"

Is this the person who puts up the burglar alarm?

1. Crazy Operations Guy

Re: security installation technicians?

No, those guys make a lot of cash (or at lest that is what I gathered from the cost of getting one over to our office), I'd think that those making $31k are going to be your front line help desk folk that happen to have Security+ or another basic security certification.

3. cd

I guess GISM isn't close enough?

4. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Location matters

Cost-of-living in the US varies so widely that there's not a lot of point in quoting average salaries for a job title (even assuming that title means the same thing across firms, which is pretty dubious).

I did a little browsing on Dice and it looks like in the upper Midwest, salaries for "Lead Software Security Engineer" and similar jobs seems to be in the area of $150K, which is not that dissimilar from other top-tier software development positions.

The $230K jobs are more likely to be in places like the Bay Area, which is much more expensive. My house would cost five times as much out there - and I wouldn't like the neighborhood (or weather, or continual series of natural disasters) nearly as much. But of course some people like living in those expensive coastal cities - that's why they're expensive.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon