back to article EEeeeeek, complaints! Ofcom roasts BT-wannabe-spouse

EE was the most moaned-about ISP for the final nine months of 2014, Blighty's communications watchdog Ofcom said this morning. The operator, which awaits regulatory approval for its planned nuptials with telecoms giant BT later this year, was lobbed more customer complaints about its broadband and landline services than any of …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

EE is a complete POS, left them last year. It was like being constipated for two years then finally finding relief.

They are a complete bunch of merchant bankers.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

"At the moment we're not number one for service. What we're doing [to fix this] is very real, these aren't just empty words," An EE spokesman told us at the time.

Uh hu....and how many times has EE broadband been in the bottom 5? Since pretty much they started as Orange broadband I would guess.

3. Vince

EE....

The mobile service sucks, patchy performance (having a "signal" is good, having a usable one preferable...), unreliable billing, unreliable speeds, inconsistent behaviour from data services. Rubbish customer services, just rubbish. Even the web site and brand suck. As for "Kevin No Buffering Bacon" I've never had so much buffering - got them to cancel the contract after several lengthy calls and a fight with them on the basis the entire service wasn't fit for purpose.

The landline/broadband service has never ranked well, regardless of Kevin Bacon's advertising, the claims or the EE TV deal.

...thus to find they're most complained about in any sector is scant a surprise

4. eJ2095

EE

Mind been with them 2 years for mobile not had any issues BUT i do seem to get the uk call centre if i do have to call...

1. RogerT

Re: EE

I only get their Indian call centre with heavily compressed, reduced bandwidth audio that sounds very distorted so I cannot quite comprehend what they're saying most of the time. I'm sure this doesn't comply with the UK disability regulations as I have poor hearing.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: EE

All of their phone lines sound really bad, regardless of what office you get connected to.

It's particularly evident when you have to spend hours listening to their music whilst waiting in a queue - think AM transistor radio but x100 worse.

What on earth do they use to make it sound so bad?

5. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse

Interesting...

I'm sure I saw an advert the on the TV other day suggesting that Plusnet was the UK's "favourite and least complained about" ISP.

Granted, it was a Plusnet advert.

6. breakfast Silver badge

Interesting to see Plusnet on the bad list. Not that they are terrible when they are simply taking money in exchange for a pipe to your house, but if something goes wrong then you're going to realise pretty quickly you're dealing with one of the BT family of companies. If I had known when I signed up that they were a BT subsidiary I would, of course, have avoided them like the plague. It's a useful guideline...

1. druck Silver badge

PlusNet haven't gone on the list because they are bad, but because they are big enough now to be counted.

They are very much the black sheep of the BT family, not being completely crap and all. The big advantage of being part of BT is that when something goes wrong, they get a BT engineer out fast, and none of this crap of threatening £99 call out fees if the problem is at the ISP end.

However I do agree that EE & BT are match made in heaven, (or is that hell), for poor customer service.

1. Vince

"They are very much the black sheep of the BT family, not being completely crap and all. The big advantage of being part of BT is that when something goes wrong, they get a BT engineer out fast, and none of this crap of threatening £99 call out fees if the problem is at the ISP end."

PlusNet have no faster an access to an Openreach engineer than any other provider. It's a legally binding requirement for equivalence of access. If you have any evidence to suggest they're able to bypass this then both other ISPs and Ofcom would be interested to hear about it.

PlusNet may not choose to pass any fees on, but that won't be the same as them being billed. It's the same (terrible shoddy overbilling under-servicing) that everyone gets - including response times.

7. RogerT

EE. That's the company that calls but cannot answer my security question (What was the last number I dialled?).

8. cs94njw

Oh God... so if not Plusnet? Who's left to go with!? :(

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

classic YMMV situation

I've been with Plusnet for years - so long that when last year I contacted them to check that I was on a suitable current package the customer service agent I spoke to was clearly surprised to find anyone still on such an old package. The upgrade (no change in fee) went fine - and I've had excellent service from Plusnet all the years I've been with them. So pleased have I been with them that I recomended them to friends living near Carlisle (I live in the Midlands) who were monumentally dissatisfied with their ISP. Much to my surprise, having swapped to Plusnet,they're now monumentally displeased with Plusnet. Unfortunately, with all the variables involved, there's always likely to be folk getting particularly good or bad service from any ISP - sems to me the only sane thing one can do is keep trying different ones until you hit one that gives you a service you can live with - just don;t expect everyone you know to get the same experience from the same supplier.

9. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge

Details of complaint levels for all providers

http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/news/telecoms-complaints-may-15

10. Gene Cash Silver badge

It could be worse...

Cant be worse than Comcast, Time Warner over here... I don't see any complaints here about being called nasty racist insults...

America! We're #1!!... in shitty customer service...

11. adam payne

What a shocker EE have the most complaints.

My friend who is using EE internet is always complaining about buffering, lag and speed issues.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like