back to article 'Nokia store? I dunno no Nokia store. This here's a Microsoft Reseller'

The gradual winding-down of Nokia as a consumer electronics brand continues, with Nokia retail stores and Care repair centres worldwide now morphing into Microsoft sales outlets. "Nokia retail stores will be called Microsoft Authorized Resellers and will showcase a range of Microsoft experiences and products including Lumia, …

1. Captain DaFt

Well I'll be confuzzled!

Leveraging a World-wide Brick'n'mortar presence to showcase its line of hardware products, adapting said presence to the local markets, selling and supporting hardware that doesn't have Windows installed?

Never thought I'd see the day. Looks like ditching Balmy Ballmer might save the company after all!

Now if they'd just do something about their screwy GUIs and business licensing.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Well I'll be confuzzled!

confuzzled is the right word when it comes to sorting out their Software Licensing.

Back to the reatil stores. Will they be more successful for MS than their US Retail Presence has been?

Whenever I come upon of of their stores, the tumbleweed is blowing around and the staff far outnumber the customers.

Still, you have to admire their efforts to sell their kit.

2. msknight

Nokia store?

...this ain't no Nokia store. It's a closed shop.

..boom boom .. geddit?!?! ... Two meanings there ... both of them very likely true .... er...

3. hplasm
    Devil

"...showcase a range of Microsoft experiences..."

Let's see- Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt, Confusion and Loathing?

Not a bad start...

1. A. Coatsworth Silver badge
      Gimp

Re: "...showcase a range of Microsoft experiences..."

That sounds like a direct path to the Dark Side!

Are you suggesting these shops will have a back door to an Apple Store?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Nokia retail stores will be called Microsoft Authorized Resellers"

Hmmm, that's a catchy name change.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

It's for when they start calling third party shops which sell their kit Microsoft Authorised Resellers then close down their own shops...

2. Mark 85

It works better than calling it "Bob" and lot better than " The Clippy Store".

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I suppose Poundland might be a better choice of name on reflection of the products stocked.

3. Aoyagi Aichou
      Meh

I for one am very glad they didn't try to be all cool and hip with something for a change.

4. Necronomnomnomicon

It's OK

Soon they'll be Microsoft Modern Resellers

5. auburnman
      Trollface

Staffed by Microsoft Authorised Re-Sales ExpertS...

5. Caff

billboard

They finally going to replace this billboard in Dublin so ? https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CA-LqyiWcAEmWos.jpg:large

6. Chad H.

The "Nokia Care" store in Glasgow repbraanded to be a Samsung Service Centre some months back. They still do have a (small) Nokia sign up though.

7. Teiwaz

slightly tangentally confused.

I'm always nonplussed by the term 'reseller'...

In my head this always conjurers up the image of a second-hand store (re-seller).

1. Captain DaFt

Re: slightly tangentally confused.

"I'm always nonplussed by the term 'reseller'..."

Just Microsoft being Microsoft. Why use a common and perfectly cromulent word like 'retailer' when you can confusingly misuse another word in its place?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ah, that Microsoft experience..

Isn't a shop full of BSOD blue going to cause UV exposure dangers?

Just curious.

9. Sir Sham Cad

Microsoft Mobile Resellers

Isn't that just some bloke flogging dodgy Lumias from the boot of his car?

"Smartphonesforatennergetchergenuinephones. It's OK Madam, I'm a Microsoft Mobile Reseller, I am."

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Should have foreseen this day...

..when you appointed the Microsoft corporate trojan horse Elop as your CEO, Nokia.

You could have made the most wonderful Android phones. You had a wealth of R&D expertise and a comprehensive patent portfolio... and you threw it away to those vampiric jackals at Redmond.

Anecdote:

Where I am there's a posh mall which once had a big Nokia Care Centre - a customer service centre. It was big and took up two shop units. It was arguably one of the anchor tenants of the mall.

In early 2015 the Nokia Care Centre is no more. It is now a spectacles shop and a female underwear shop, side by side.

1. Captain DaFt

Re: Should have foreseen this day...

"the Nokia Care Centre is no more. It is now a spectacles shop and a female underwear shop, side by side."

Well, I must admit that's a clever way to boost eyeglass sales!

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What a tragedy

To think that MS completely destroyed the only engineering team in the world that could have taken over the 'emerging' market, i.e. the 4 billion people that don't care about playing Angry Birds and just need a cell phone to make phone calls, and that can last a couple of weeks on one charge.

Let this be a lesson to European companies that actually have engineering talent - when you see an American company sniffing around talking about 'partnerships', don't walk - RUN the other way..

Only a smoking crater in the Finnish economy remains of this partnership.

1. teebol

Re: What a tragedy

And now those smoking remains are buying the dregs of another disastrous merger. Short termist capitalism has been a disaster for the European market.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like