back to article Unite: CSC using staffers' profitability to shape the future

The Unite union reckons some of CSC’s highest-paid Brit staff could be headed for the chopping block in the company's latest job purge, as it enters consultation with local management. The beleaguered integrator is bundling 800 workers out of the door to cut costs, with a proportion of those roles to be off- and near-shored, …

1. LucreLout

“One of our major problems is that CSC wants to use profitability as part of a matrix which it hadn’t before, that is causing us concern because this is a company that believes in performance-related pay,” Tonks added.

Redundancy sucks. Always has, always will.

Having said that, on what possible grounds could anyone view either performance related pay or profitability as being unfit metrics for retention/redundancy? Cutting cost is all about removing the less profitable staff, and rewarding people fairly is all about their individual performance. I don't see what the unions concern is here.

2. Forty Two

ahh but...

Productivity is, simplified, output / cost per unit time. There are only so many hours in a week you can bill to projects and cost is your salary. Sooo, one guess as to what happens to experienced long term employees that are in the upper part of their pay band with that formula. However, putting my intense hatred of CSC aside it should come as a shock to no one that almost any company will replace older experienced high-paid people with cheap newbies if they think they can get away with it. The fun bit is that if you want your severance package you have to train the replacement regardless if you can understand him through the accent or not.

Human Resources is NOT your friend.

Disclosure Statement: Outsourced from an "Employee's are Our Greatest Asset" company after 18 years to CSC doing my previous job and the jobs of two others not so fortunate and immediately "laid off" in favor of a person "not from around here" as soon as the initial employment contract expired. Experiences in the UK may vary slightly due to dialect and labor laws but the end result is inevitable. You bet your ass I am bitter.

1. LucreLout

Re: ahh but...

Human Resources is NOT your friend.

Entirely correct. HR primarily exists to protect the company from the staff. Anything else they may do is a by product of that core goal. It has been a constant source of amazement to me how many people seem not to understand that, including half the people I know in HR!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So the people who got pay rises are for the chop then?

That should make most of CSC's work force safe then - most of us haven't had a pay rise in 5 years or more - the only people who get them are senior management or sales guys.

Lets burn them!

If only that was the case...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Productivity?

The Problem CSC has is that is has a lot of talented people, but project management is sooo broken, Management does not seem to care about delivery (not heard the term Methodology once in 4 years), so every project results in delay after delay, no wonder productivity is low.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like