back to article Salesforce snubbed Microsoft's $55bn biz gobble offer – report

Microsoft wanted to buy cloud giant Salesforce.com for $55bn, it is reported. CNBC, citing anonymous sources, today claims the Windows goliath offered the 11-figure sum to Salesforce, but boss Marc Benioff wanted $70bn – a whopping price tag that ultimately sunk the deal. Salesforce has a market cap of $48.48bn. The talks …

1. tom.foremski

Salesforce is building the tallest office tower in San Francisco...

If the "Salesforce Tower" became the "Microsoft Tower" it would not feel right. It would feel as if a giant hand was scratching a giant chalkboard, 24/7. SF is not an outpost of Redmond.

Benioff would make a great Oracle CEO. Many people have no idea Oracle has two CEOs, or can name them. The Oracle culture needs strong, flamboyant leadership, imho.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Salesforce is building the tallest office tower in San Francisco...

Hard to forget who are the Co-CEOs, thanks to El Reg. Hurd'nKatz. Other than the fact Ellison demoted himself to CTO, I pay no attention. None of their offerings are portfolio and I'm too small to attract their attention. [Apparently IBM has a different opinion FWTW.]

2. drunk.smile

Too expensive? Just as well they have a backup.

Funny how during this period one of Salesforce's competitors was announcing a move from AWS to Azure... almost as though they are making themselves a more attractive acquisition target, don't you think?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Windows

I'm glad that Salesforce.com is at least talking about staying independent.

No company is perfect, but Salesforce is very good. Microsoft has obviously had their success in the marketplace, but they've never been customer-friendly, and they haven't been visionary for +-20 years now.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I'm glad that Salesforce.com is at least talking about staying independent.

+1

MS only seems to be able to get out it's chequebook rather than innovate.

2. Phil Kingston

Re: I'm glad that Salesforce.com is at least talking about staying independent.

Problem with being visionary is that it doesn't always pay the bills.

IIRC, Salesforce has never made a profit. In 16(?) years. Perhaps MS thought they'd be more open to offers and the CEO less greedy in upping his demands for MS stock/overvaluing his loss-making enterprise. Who knows.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like