back to article Mutant upstart Nimble embiggens revenues – and losses, too

Hybrid array storage start-up minnow Nimble Storage saw revenues grow strongly in its latest quarter, though not enough to trouble mainstream storage vendors. Revenues in its first fiscal 2016 quarter, ended April 30, were 53 per cent higher than a year ago at $71.3m, with a net loss of $29m: it was $19.6m a year ago. …

1. Smoking Gun

Isn't that graphic a dream for any willing investor. The more you sell, the bigger the losses? It makes me wonder why these start ups bother or simply stay in business?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's called

investing in R&D, Sales and Marketing. The cost of doing business and the cost of growing at 50% in a stagnating market. Last I check Nimble are not laying people off.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Loyal?

"Repeat business accounted for 51 per cent of bookings in the quarter, showing that Nimble's customers are loyal."

No.

As a Nimble customer I can tell you that's not how it works. When it came time to add more storage we had two choices: A. Pay Nimble's nearly extortionate rate for an additional disk shelf, or B., throw out the entire array and start over. A was less expensive than B, and loyalty had nothing to do with it.

Lesson learned. Buy a lot more storage than you need, and negotiate the hell out of the contract when you do, because once you buy you're not a customer, you're a hostage.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Loyal?

Sounds like Netapp to me.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Loyal?

You should console yourself with the knowledge that you would have been treated the same way at EMC at least. Buy all the software licenses up front because if you decide a year or so down the road to use replication you might be shocked at the price tag. :)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Gross margins

Their Gross margins are at 67%! That's a great number and it points to a very competitive product vs 62% NTAP, down 2.6% (big drop) and EMC 61.3%.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Gross margins

You should have seen what the gross margins were at Equallogic before Dell ruined them. Think 80s - and not the low 80s. Paula had that business humming.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like