back to article ID-stealing scammers had a bumper start to the year, reveals report

Incidences of identity fraud in the UK rose by more than 25 per cent in the first quarter of 2015, a new report has revealed. In total, 34,151 confirmed instances of identity fraud were recorded in the first quarter of 2015, a 27 per cent increase from Q1 2014. Identity fraud is when criminals abuse personal data to …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not only PC based.

I have just taken out insurance for my car and for the first time ever, I have been asked to provide a photocopy of my license to be sent over an unencrypted email...Needless to say, I have refused. They can cancel the policy as far as I am concerned and I will find another insurer without such blatantly stupid policies...

1. phil dude
      Thumb Up

Re: Not only PC based.

I had that experience a few years back from a UK online retailer, "Send us an email with your passport. F**k Off" . I find it hard to believe how ignorant and entitled these companies are, but empirical evidence suggests it is commonplace.

Attaching liability to personal data might help , but there is a serious attitude within corporations that customers are just fodder - it might be true, but it is never nice to be exploited...

P.

1. edge_e
        Stop

It seems to me that emailing passport photocopies is commonplace amongst employers too.

2. LucreLout
      Paris Hilton

They can cancel the policy as far as I am concerned and I will find another insurer without such blatantly stupid policies...

Please be careful doing this. Insurers often ask "Have you ever had insurance refused or cancelled?" If you put yourself in the situation where you have to answer "Yes" then the policy gets expensive faster than Paris gets nekkid.

By all means decline to send them what they ask for, just make sure you're the one who cancelles the policy, then you can still answer "No" for quotes.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Just to update. I emailed them explaining that I was under no circumstances emailing a copy of it over an unsecured email client. They then informed me its not compulsory so I don't have to. All they did want to see was proof of NCB which I was happy to provide. Amazing eh???

2. edge_e
    FAIL

Roughly 1 in every 2000 people in the in the space of 3 months.

That getting close to certain that you or someone you know will be a victim pretty soon

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 34,151

And that someone is you...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like