back to article Softcat preps for IPO, closes in on brokers

Softcat is preparing the groundwork for its flotation on the London Stock Exchange with the market expected to value the tech reselling juggernaut at cool half a billion pounds. Our sources tell us Marlow-based Softcat has narrowed the field of potential brokers to a handful of firms, but Credit Suisse and Jeffries are most …

1. The Godfather
    Pint

Inevitable move

This is probably the only real and sensible option at this time even though only a few years ago, the thought of an IPO was perhaps anathema. An IPO will give it scope on the one hand but will also change the 'character' and almost 'family' aspect of its corporate history and growth. Positives but with some negatives therefore.

2. Smoking Gun

Softcat have a very good reputation, great working environments, look after their employees, and a respected competitor. I hope this works out for them, however I lack confidence in shareholders who don't give a monkeys about anyone or anything but their share price.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I guess that's the darkest fear of many people inside the business too, that any float might dilute the unique character of the company. There'd no doubt have to be a few concessions to the public bit of being a plc, but ultimately, it's the unconventional, fun, irreverent employee-centric culture of the business that has been central to the fantastic growth and profitability.

You don't have to turn into a grey corporate behemoth when you go public - look at Google, $390bn market cap and still a much-admired employer and an undeniably funky and innovative workplace. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/picture-galleries/9461561/Inside-Googles-quirky-new-London-headquarters.html?frame=2303595

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like