back to article Microsoft doubles down on productivity with Wunderlist buy

The reinvention of Microsoft under chief executive Satya Nadella continues with reports the software giant has bought German-based iOS app Wunderlist. The purchase, originally reported behind the Wall Street Journal paywall, is in the ballpark of $US100 - $US200 million, making it roughly the same size deal as the company paid …

1. solo

Another text / word processor with a specific purpose?

Why can't they just solve the problems of Office. Microsoft is just pretending to be a teenager when it already has a dozen of kids to feed. Let the startups earn on their own.

2. Hans 1
    Unhappy

Same old story

The iOS/Android versions of these apps will vanish in no time or become so buggy nobody will want to use them ... look at Skype, for example ... the linux version has become buggy as hell ...

1. Surur

Re: Same old story

Are you mad? MS did not buy these companies to bring these people to Windows. They purchased them to bring Microsoft to iOS and Android. Its a land grab, and I expect them to purchase more headline apps to make Microsoft synonymous again with productivity on all platforms.

1. dogged

Re: Same old story

Yes, he is mad where mad is defined as "hates Microsoft so much that he is incapable of not predicting doom for anything it even approaches" which is kind of weird given how many successful businesses are based off their stuff.

3. Necronomnomnomicon

Typical

I just got my girlfriend onto Wunderlist, and now I'm going to have to start scoping out replacements just in case Microsoft decide to strangle it.

1. Fair Dinkum

Re: Typical

They won't strangle it, I think. They'll fumble. Just as bad for your S.O. and you, just the process is different. Compare Skype.

But pray tell, what do you get when you purchase a software company? Expensive chairs, couple desks and used hardware..

The people will simply walk when it's no longer fun, and source code is quite useless without the brains.

4. Disko
    Alert

Time

to uninstall before it goes borg

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Time

"to uninstall before it goes borg"

Google are involved too?!

5. Mage Silver badge

MS Basic

On Apple, CP/M etc and copied from Dartmouth Basic.

Indeed back to roots.

1. Fair Dinkum

Re: MS Basic

MS Basic worked like a charm under CP/M, worked with it in the early 80s. Still have the manuals somewhere... Even the docs were decent. Not all MS Software is bad!

In the last 30 years, however..

6. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Hope MSFT uses these apps as exemplars of how to migrate Objective C iOS apps to Windows 10.

Porting the 50,000+ flatulence apps on Apple Store could close the "app gap".

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"The reinvention of Microsoft under chief executive Satya Nadella continues<snip>"

fucking lol

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like