back to article Nutanix did build 'Acropolis' hypervisor, wants you to bury it

As predicted by The Register, Nutanix has built a hypervisor called Acropolis, but is using it for more than scale-out compute and an assault on VMware. Instead, the company wants to abstract all the stuff that makes up modern applications and make managing infrastructure idiot-proof. We'll explain that in a moment. The …

1. Lusty
    Childcatcher

AAaaargggg!

I tried to read the whole article I really did but my BRAIN nearly EXPLODED with all the marketing crap spewing at me.

So they've invented a hypervisor, which is actually KVM.

The hypervisor is app centric, instead of VMs it actually houses the OS, containers, software and drivers that make up the app. Or FSCHKING VMS as we call them.

All of this, just as the rest of the industry is on the cusp of SaaS for pretty much everything, negating the need for these marketeers.

1. CrosscutSaw

Re: AAaaargggg!

Agreed. So much marketingspeak, it's annoying. But the news is good. I have way too many underutilized full vm's that were deployed for one application.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: AAaaargggg!

But that's Nutanix for you. They've been the worst offender in the bull$hit peddling. Their early "white papers" (marketing brochures really) were an attempt to mention "Google" and "web-scale" as often as possible per paragraph. Problem is, they are neither. Nor are their customers.

Their shitty VSA doesn't scale beyond 15 nodes, Nutanix' claims notwithstanding. Every fncking Nutanix cluster I have seen was split into silos of 10ish nodes and the reason they were bought in the first place was because some server dude was pissed off at the storage guys. Or the VMware guys had delusions of grandeur and thought they understood enterprise storage.

Can't wait until these idiots meet their demise. Silicon Valley surely is a bunch of arrogant pricks, but the Nutanix a-holes are the biggest of all.

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Windows

The origin of Nutanix in the breakdown of the bicameral mind!

My god has left me, only vapors remain over Hellas!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dinosaur alert!

Lol, thats a nice dinosaur-esque rant there, gents.

Haters be hatin'.

Let me guess? EMC or VMware employees?

1. Lusty

Re: Dinosaur alert!

Not dinosaurs, no. Just people with genuine enterprise experience who can see through the marketing to the problems that are ahead. There is no free lunch, and I can take you through the maths of how, when and why your solution will fail. Even the Nutanix techies will admit it performs like crap when set to certain workloads if you ask the right questions. Just a hint though, as you're obviously new, the guy who comes to you to sell a Nutanix is not a techie...they are all locked up in the call centre away from customers.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Evidently failure is quite lucrative. But please, math away.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Please enlighten us with your math skills.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No kidding, huh? Hilarious... Probably someone who had a stack of COBOL source in their cube. And a red stapler.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lulz

I can haz anon tu?

COBOL is nothing to do with enterprise storage, try googling data consistency, cache coherency latency, high availability and you'll be on the right track. Nutanix fails on all fronts for real workloads that people care about. It'll do for VDI because not even the users care if that shits the bed and fails. Sql admins, on the other hand, think this technology is some kind of joke from the tweeny generation who will only work out why they are wrong following the first massive data corruption and/or bottoming out of the cache and/or loss of node and subsequent loss of data due to incorrect write back behaviour. Oh yes, Google write through cache too...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Lulz

Fortunately for all the real customers and people that know Nutanix know you're full of shit and don't know what you're talking about. I think you should read some of the customer technical success stories before you open your mouth to change feet.

1. Lusty

Customer luck stories you mean. Enterprise storage is about the long term not just implementations that sound cool on paper. AC you're presumably an employee so biased but I've yet to meet anyone with experience who wasn't concerned by the trade off between latency and data consistency in this solution for any real data driven workload. Also the performance figures based on cache performance is a major concern for people doing real work too

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

An anonymous coward using vendor funded technical documents (e.g. marketing material) to prove that a solution is the next best thing? Please, take my credit card now!

5. CrosscutSaw

Well this thread went bad

It has turned into a middle school playground. That's more annoying than the marketing-speak. LOL!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Well this thread went bad

That was inevitable, all the Nutanix enthusiasts are still in middle school. If you want grown up threads, you'll want to look at a story about tried and tested technologies which deliver on their promises...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like