back to article Give us your software BlackBerry, we love it. The phones? Meh

Rising software revenue helped make up for continuing falls in phone hardware income at BlackBerry in the past quarter, with the waning giant booking revenue of $658m for first quarter of full year 2016, and reported a non-GAAP operating loss of $7m. Forty per cent of all income was phone sales, of around 1.1 million devices. …

1. Waspy

Great company, great products...

I love my Passport and BB10 - nearly all the flexibility of android, the security of blackberry, the rock solid hardware of an old school Nokia and the user friendlyness of an iPhone (with far superior multi tasking). Oh and the Hub. Did I mention the Hub?

However for whatever reason people seem to think BlackBerry are dead and high street presence is near non existent so perhaps an android with BlackBerry goodies make sense and the leaner, meaner company seem pragmatic enough to realise this. Personally I think it's a crying shame bb10 isn't a bigger success...but I said that about meego and webos too which goes to show the best doesn't always win.‎

I really wish them well.‎

1. bazza Silver badge

Re: Great company, great products...

Completely agree with all that. The Z30 is the best phone I've used.

There's talk that they're going for run Android inside a hypervisor. Neat trick. Thing is that Hub, Balance, BES and everything else are also pretty neat, but that doesn't help significantly in the market. Why is that?

I reckon it's because most buyers don't go looking for anything better than what they know. And if they're coming from Android or iPhone, what they know is pretty basic. They have to put in effort to learn what the neat tricks are and how they can help them. Advertising doesn't do enough.

1. Eddy Ito

Advertising doesn't do enough.

Especially since I can't recall when the last time I saw or heard a Blackberry advertisement in any medium. I hear iPhone ads all the time on the radio and see iPhone & Samsung ads everywhere. Perhaps that's why so many people think Blackberry disappeared. Whatever they do, they are going to have to start getting the word out that they are still around and making good stuff.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Agree they have a lower profile than many but BlackBerry sponsor TV progs on Sky Atlantic and also Mercedes F1 team. I know neither are actually adverts though just branding really.

2. b0hem1us

That would be great

Both BB10 and Android on the same device, that would actually show people how inferior it is to BB10, thus converting them.

3. Dan 55 Silver badge

If BB10 already runs Android apps...

... why is running Android in a hypervisor necessary?

... or why would you want to run the Blackberry apps on Android?

The one good thing Android has is apk, let's leave it at that. Android is not particularly good at enforcing hardware or software security.

There's a need for Blackberry hardware when an enterprise or organisation wants security. Most Android hardware can be put into recovery mode or reflashed with a USB cable and a PC program.

Likewise two Android apps working together have been shown to defeat the limited permission security that Android does have (I assume running two apks on BB10 does not let them run riot in the same way).

It seems that the clamour to run Blackberry apps on Android hardware is that just because it seems like the right thing to do, but nobody's quite sure why they want it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like