back to article Docker and Microsoft unite Windows and Linux in the cloud

Microsoft has doubled down on its support for Docker, further integrating the software container tech with Azure and Visual Studio Online and demoing the first-ever containerized application spanning both Windows and Linux systems. The software giant first showed off its support for Docker on its Azure cloud at the DockerCon …

1. phil dude
    WTF?

hang on...

Yes , I checked , we have hit a new low.....M$ HEARTS Linux.

Is this satire, comedy or really crap marketing?

P.

1. nematoad

Re: hang on...

M$ HEARTS Linux.

"Who'da thunk it?"

More to the point: "Who believes it"?

"Embrace, extend, extinguish"?

"A long spoon please."

2. John Sanders
    Holmes

Hmmm

How does this work....?

I know how the containers are supposed to work, what I want to know is:

Is this just containerization for .net based code? this is: as long as the application has been developed on .net can be pushed either to a Linux or a Windows box?

Or in the other hand if the Windows containers are windows native code and the Linux ones are native Linux code and the only thing in common is the management tools and infrastructure?

Details for god sake, details!!!

I'm sick of marketingcrap and people on a stage delivering FCUK presentations.

They keep you wondering what the FCUK are they talking about for months to no end and once you look at the stuff is just pure anticlimax.

MS is so uninteresting these days.

And the MS HEARTS Linux is just plain psychopathy.

1. Neil McAllister

Re: Hmmm

If you check the article, you'll find the container running ASP.Net code was running on the Linux host, while the container on the Windows host was running Node.js code -- which is just JavaScript, so it's completely cross-platform. ASP.Net is likewise open source and can run cross-platform. So it may be possible to design these particular containers in such a way that the same container will run on either OS, and you could push either one to either host. I kinda doubt these particular containers were designed that way, and Russinovich did not demonstrate moving the containers back and forth between hosts, but that may be possible if you plan and design your containers that way.

I suspect the more likely scenario is that you'd use Windows Server to run images containing Windows native code in Windows Containers. You could still use Docker's tools to manage them, though, and you could use the same tools to manage your Linux containers on other hosts.

3. ratfox
    Headmaster

Hmmm…

Since the beginning of May, he said, the Number One contributor to the open source Docker code base has been Microsoft.

From another article today:

As a leading contributor to both the Docker and Kubernetes open source projects, Red Hat is not just adopting these technologies but actively building them upstream in the community

Ok. Who's LYING?

4. Paul 129
    Gimp

Collectable?

That badge is amazing.

The only sane explanation must involve chains, gimp mask and a hulking guy in a leather cap. Whomever came up with it must be as stable as sack full of rabid bunnies after you've thrown a python in.

5. kryptylomese

So why would a modern company want to write an application that doesn't live on Linux unless they want to pay more money for something that will not work as well?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like