back to article CIA-funded spy data safe Palantir doubles in value in 18 months

CIA-backed Big Data analytics outfit Palantir is about to embark on a fundraising round that will value the biz at $20bn (£13bn), according to reports. The funding comes off the back of bumper forward revenues this year, sources have told The Financial Times [paywall]. It means Palantir will become one of the most valuable …

1. karlp

I don't know if it is telling or sad (why not both?) that I quickly glanced over the article, got a feeling for what the outfit did and who they worked for before seeing the valuation and thinking to myself "That is the first valuation I have seen in ages which is likely to be realistic".

Seriously, Selling to Finance, Pharma, AND Military? Selling outsourced data-center services AND machine learning / Big Data?

I can see the cheques writing themselves. In fact it may be easier to just give them access to $Country's central bank routing system and tell them to take what they want as it will save everyone a whole lot of paperwork.

I can't tell if I am upset at the killing these guys are likely making, or jealous I didn't do it first.

Karl P

1. Anonymous Coward
      Unhappy

Don't forget gathering all that yummy data and passing onto those willing to pay for it.

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

I doubt that

Don't forget gathering all that yummy data and passing onto those willing to pay for it.

In this specific case there is more money in not passing as well as even more money in access control to analysis results. Otherwise you are not getting the roster of clients these guys have at present.

2. Mystic Megabyte
    Big Brother

Headache?

That's explained why each time that I take off my tinfoil hat I get adverts for $pain_killer pills.

In reality this is not a joke but in fact quite scary.

What's the name of the sci-fi film where they have to take the medication that's behind the bathroom mirror?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Headache?

Sci fi film is Equilibrium. Worth a watch if you like dystopian futures, shades of gray and wonderful fight scenes. Christian Bale and Emily Watson. Has the awesome gun kata.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No wonder...

...the guy who funded Facebook has also "helped launch" Palantir!

All your data is ours, yum yum yum.

4. Old Handle
    Joke

But can you talk to Sauron with it?

5. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

How ITSkunk Works in the likes of Palantir Systems

HyperRadioProActive Vapourware is Ab Fab Fabless Big Brother Business. Create yourself an enemy and who drivers what for capital spend and fiat generation .... paper currency churn and fantasy prosperity progress in the guise of fool command and tool control?

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Re: How ITSkunk Works in the likes of Palantir Systems

Founding a business on the questionable promotion of exclusive intellectual property is not without its pitfalls and is nothing novel ...... CYNK Sunk ..... but get internetworking things right and one can have a ball and a great deal of fabulous fun with AI and IT in the Great Game and Greater IntelAIgent Games Plays ........ New Orderly World Order Experiments/Exercises/Experiences with Global Operating Devices.

Do IT XSSively well with Advanced IntelAIgents and all is quite heavenly in a devilishly rewarding sort of way. Of that you can certainly be assured and bet the business on.

6. Christian Berger

Luckily they have problems getting people to work there

Apparently they have to pay even apprentices $7000 per month to work there.

http://www.silicon.de/41595889/us-praktikanten-verdienen-7000-dollar-im-monat/?PageSpeed=noscript

It kinda seems like the company people would spit at you on the bus for working at.

7. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Reading between the Lines for a Walk on the Dark Web Wild Side

Spot the deliberate mistakes and likely directions in the following Palantir narrative, and most probably also the hidden truth to be worked with and developed .......

You’re tasked with understanding the past and predicting the future of information security. You will analyze attacks, exploits trends and malware to understand the security landscape and help Palantir defend itself against the most dedicated attackers. Your work will provide important subtext to security events, and will enable network defenders to hunt for badness across our global network, wherever it may hide. .... https://www.palantir.com/careers/positions/information-security-engineer-threat-intelligence/

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like