back to article Ex-Microsoft chief rolls elastic-SQL challenge to Amazon Redshift

SQL Server, with Windows and Office, helped make Microsoft. The database sits in a $13bn business unit and while Microsoft’s server products grew 11 per cent – $1.7bn last year – that was driven primarily by sales of SQL Server. The man who paved the path was Bob Muglia. A 24-year Redmond veteran, he was SQL Server’s first …

1. Sgt_Oddball

Data anal?

Sounds painful, though I suppose it depends on just how big your big data is....

1. Swarthy
      Paris Hilton

Re: Data anal?

As opposed to anal data, which is where a lot of data seems to be pulled from.

2. ratfox

Dinosaur

I can agree that relational databases are cool, and that they can do a lot of great stuff. But I'm frankly embarrassed that SQL is still the standard way to communicate with these databases. When you think of it, it's a language looking most like Cobol, with a rather peculiar syntax which bears no relationship to the logic of operations executed, and which we use by concatenating strings in far more advanced systems.

1. Maris

Re: Dinosaur

Hmm, got anything better? As Muglia mentions, practically every big data solution vendor is creating their own SQL layer for whatever they sell, that's happening for a reason.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"In general, he reckons, Microsoft is behind in the cloud race"

Erm sure, that must be why Microsoft are by far the largest cloud vendor by cloud revenue...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

In front of Amazon. Sure.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"In front of Amazon. Sure."

Yep, I'm sure. As per the last quarter's reports from both...

2. Hans 1
      Facepalm

>Erm sure, that must be why Microsoft are by far the largest cloud vendor by cloud revenue

You idiot, only because they count Office revenue as cloud revenue ... gosh ... !!!!!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"You idiot, only because they count Office revenue as cloud revenue ... gosh ... !!!!!

Microsoft count Office 365 as cloud revenue - because, gosh, it clearly is. And they don't yet even include vast cloud revenues like Xbox Live (~ 50 million subscribers). And yes Microsoft are now substantially bigger in cloud than Amazon, and growing faster too.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like