back to article HP's split surgeon Bill Veghte splits from HP

Bill Veghte, the HP exec who since October has led the company's effort to split into two separate businesses, is parting ways with the firm. "The decision to leave a company and people you are passionate about is never an easy one," Veghte said in a statement. "It has been a privilege working with Meg [Whitman, HP CEO] and a …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sounds like he didn't want to stick around in a post-separation HP.

Wonder if he knows something we don't?

1. Mikel

Curious

I had figured him for the role of leading HP's post-split PC division to an acquisition by Microsoft.

1. HonestAbe

Re: Curious

Many people have suggested that. However, I still don't see why Microsoft would want to touch that tar baby. MSFT bought Nokia to force their OS into the phone market, but they certainly have no such challenge in the PC space.

To me, it seems more likely that Quanta or Foxconn would pick it up after the stock price falls far enough, just for the brand recognition (since it's their PCs HP rebrands and resells anyway... why not make it official, like HTC has). Other than some ODM that wants to buy the logo... maybe Canon would buy it to reduce competition and prop up prices in the declining inkjet market.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Abandon ship !!!

Maybe he just realized that Meg Whitless's decision to separate into two companies

was just an action to make it look like she was doing something useful. She

is destroying the company by laying off all the people with many years of

experience and outsourcing development to India. She doesn't have a clue

how to run an innovative engineering company, or any company for that matter.

It has been the beginning of the end ever since Mark Hurd run the

car into a ditch, and has continued with every change at the head

of the company. None of them has a clue.

HP is history.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I partially agree; my view is that Meg realised that the turnaround wasn't happening fast enough/at all and that she though separation would provide a distraction to this fact. It certainly wasn't part of her original plan.

I agree about the outsourcing but I don't agree that it's all over for HP. For all its challenges, HP still makes $1bn per quarter net profit. It still sells a LOT of hardware and services to both consumers and enterprise.

The PC bit of HP Inc may very well be bought, and things may be about to get messy for Enterprise Services but HP, in some form, will survive.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like