back to article Intel 80386 queen Renée James quits as chipmaker's president

Intel president Renée James is leaving the silicon giant to become chief exec of another firm as part of a set of leadership changes announced by Intel CEO Brian Krzanich on Thursday. "When Brian and I were appointed to our current roles, I knew then that being the leader of a company was something that I desired as part of my …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So long and thanks for all the fish

Kudos to her. 80386 was a transformative product. I remember poring over the write-up in Byte magazine. And to have guided Intel through the Itanium madness years and survived the onslaught of a resurgent AMD was no mean feat.

More articles on successful women in tech please. No window dressing, just competence.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: So long and thanks for all the fish

The 386 (and pentium that was based on it) were transformative but they were designed and the engineering led by John Crawford.

If she started in 1987, that was 2 years after the chip was first sold, and she would have had the job of sales and marketing for an almost monopoly (except for Sun) supplier of 32bit chips

Although surviving as a senior exec at intel for 25 years is pretty impressive for anybody

2. Mint Sauce
      Coat

Re: So long and thanks for all the fish

Glad to see an obDNA reference as the first comment, but my very first thought before coming here was...

"So long and thanks for all the chips"...

3. N13L5

80386 certainly fixed the serious flaw in the 80286... that really was the transformation.

I bet there was a whole team working on that one-liner at the end of the article attributed to Intel's CEO.. and what drivel it turned into... almost like Nadella.

And that mobile division.. they better improve something... my Asus tablet with intel chip runs Android worse than any other device I ever had. It crashes apps more and requires frequent restarts. Almost like early versions of Windows... :p

2. Chimp
    Big Brother

MBA speak

"We are aligning our leadership structure to continue to become more efficient in order to deliver the benefits of our strategy even faster than before," Krzanich said

A classic of its type.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

Re: MBA speak

You missed

"I knew then that being the leader of a company was something that I desired as part of my own leadership journey"

3. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Terminator

An intel spokesperson commented "McAfee has now been assimilated.

Resistance is futile."*

*Not.

1. N13L5

Re: An intel spokesperson commented "McAfee has now been assimilated.

I was surprised how Intel kept the McAfee brand around, even though they were widely known as slime bags.

Would have made more sense to just quietly buy the technology and kill the name ASAP.

4. montyburns56

Just walk away (from Intel) Renee.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Intel 80386 queen Renée James quits as chipmaker's president

Her new job is in China, leading an unnamed new...

Wait, someone is breaking down my front do\

5. Chairman of the Bored

80386... When the PC clones really took off

Must have been a riotous ride at Intel during the shift to the 386. Younger guys probably do not understand what it felt like to live and work through the tectonic shifts in tech at the time.

286... Nobody ever got fired for buying an IBM PC/AT. Compaq and Gateway (remember them?) were growing fast but most businesses were a little skeptical. 10MB hard drives were a status symbol as much as a tool. Still, IBM was getting scared and tried to re-establish their monopoly using their awful PS/2 machines with their proprietary microchannel bus. The PS/2 was supposed to be the bridge to the 32 bit multitasking future, but it was really just an attempt to return industry to craptivity. Industry answered with EISA and then PCI... That's when the 386 hit... Win 95 became something somewhat useful... And the modern PC market was born. IBM got kicked in the teeth, and Intel had to move cash to the bank with conveyors. Good times.

It all came flooding back to me just a couple of years ago. I had to repair and upgrade a box run by a microcontroller. Opened it up... And saw a 80186 staring back at me. 186. Tools? Debuggers?

Documentation??? CORRECT documentation??? What doubly-damned ring of hell I had arrived in?! Be careful wishing for the good ole days... They can come back!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like